Pre-game warm-ups - 4th & 5th grade girls

Discussion in 'Coach' started by jack921, Aug 25, 2002.

1. jack921

jack921 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    On game days, any suggestions on what my 4th-5th grade girls rec team should do in pre-game warmups? They usually show up one or two at a time with the first ones arriving about 15-20 minutes before gametime and the last ones arriving at gametime. (I wish they'd all arrive on time, but that's another story.)

2. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    The interesting truth at that tender age is that they are already as flexible as rubber bands. So it does not take much to get the blood flowing.

It is a good idea however to have a regimented warm up to use before every game and practice so they get used to doing it as they get older. A good habit for them to get into.

Also they can use a lot of touches of the ball before every game. Just like adult players can use a lot of touches before their games.

Reason every players first touches are not as good as the touches they make later on.

So get the crappy touches out of the way before the game starts not while the game is going on.

So get touches to start the warm up. Do some slow moving with the ball, then more touches then some token stretches then some moving while swinging the parts of the upper body arms and trunk. Then more simple touches on the ball, then stretches, then some dribbling slow to medium speeds change speeds. Stretching then more simple ball touches then dribbling from slow, medium and higher speed then slow jogs back with the ball more stretches and more touches and more dribbling.

Then they are more then ready to play the game and have fun. Gather all the balls so they don't lose them.

3. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    Excuse me I miss read your post thought you said 4 and 5 yr olds.

But the post is good even for them except the stretches are not token.

Richie

4. jack921

jack921 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Thanks. Last year, I got the habit of letting them take turns shooting on goal, which results in them standing around 90% of the time. So I want to change that.

5. boydreilly

boydreilly New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    That is one of the biggest mistakes I've made with girls this age. A lot of coaches want to sedate the girls before the game so they can get them to pay attention about what the big plan is.

I do the opposite; I try to get them into a frenzy before the game. What I do is I play goalie and put 5 or 6 balls into play and have them try to score on me. I taunt and yell and go crazy with them. This gets them into a game playing mood.

Coaching them right before the game is like studying a lot before a big test. It's too late. That's what practice is for. It doesn't hurt to take a kid aside before the game and give them a reminder or two. But, don't try to spring something new on them right before a game.