Pre-game discussion - Wilmington Hammerheads v. FC Dallas

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by Kevin Lindstrom, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uniforms? Wow. Now THAT's a reason why Wilmington will win. (crossed eyes.)

Please, don't procreate, dude. Whatever you do. The gene pool is bad enough these days.

Have you WATCHED an MLS game this year involving Dallas? Did you miss that we've played ten of sixteen on the road, half without one to three starters including no Ruiz or EJ for a month, and have two losses and three ties - total? This team isn't thin past 15. Our next 12-22 could (and actually did) beat Chivas' best 11 and would be competitive with most teams in the league (unlike a certain team in the far north east of the country....)

Red card? Yeah - Dallas has been known for them this year.

Like I said, stay off the hard stuff and keep it zipped.

Wow.

2. DUST

DUST Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Wilmington NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big deal...The Inferno could beat the Chivas best 11!

3. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a nice line. Reality, though, is a bit different.

4. DUST

DUST Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Wilmington NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Funny, I had a girl tell me those same words that I was trying to chat up in the pub the other night!

5. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was not a girl !

6. Jaxscribe

Jaxscribe New Member

Oct 20, 2002
    The Fan District
    Look, the Burn's delicate psyche contributed greatly to their defeat in the last meeting. Dallas dominated the first 35 minutes and should have put in more than their lone goal.

When Wilmington put together some good possessions and the tying goal just before halftime, I expected Dallas to continue to control the contest. But to my delight, the Burn gave up an early second half goal and just folded like the cheap card table in your grandparents' basement. The Hammerheads scored a mental knockout when they took the lead, and Wilmington outplayed and outcoached Dallas the rest of the way.

Look, I like Wilmington and I stood with the Port City Firm during the game, but this year FC Dallas isn't a last-place team mired in a miserable year with a lame duck coach. FC Dallas isn't in an unfamiliar town and sitting five feet away from the Firm (which certainly didn't rattle the Burn, but probably contributed to that "I'm tired, wet and it's the Open Cup -- screw this" feeling).

Last time, Wilmington was the better team -- mentally. But this year is simply another kettle of fish, and the tools for an upset aren't there.

Hope I'm wrong, though.

7. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (grumble grumble grumble) Damn rep system! Rep Help!

8. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously Wilmington was the better team last time. 4-1 is 4-1. Talent and "on paper" is well and good, but results are results - esp. by three goals.

But as you point out, this year it will be a different scenario. Port City Firm? Meet The Inferno. We'll take care of business, don't you worry.

Everyone remembers Shawshank Redemption?

"Fresh Fish! Fresh Fish! Fresh Fish! Fresh Fish! Fresh Fish!"

(Props to GoldFinger for that reference.)

9. DUST

DUST Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Wilmington NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, that explains a few things....Damn Guinness.

Inferno do your worst....we always do!

10. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [John Cleese]Be a viscious as we like with it?[/John Cleese]

Certainly. We'd be happy to oblige ya'.

11. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    95-98 temp. for gametime....but, its Richardson heat.

12. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of props to the Wilmington team - they brought everything they had and made Dallas earn it.

Obviously, when the starters came in, it was clear who the better team was, but even then, they didn't stop working. They were everything people said they would be.

13. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to echo my partner's sentiments as well. I was not present at the match (pissed off), but from all the accounts that I have read, the performance of the Hammerhead is worthy of the true spirit of the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup. Never quit, never gave up, and always forward. The Hamerheads have a model program that many soccer outfits ought to emulate.