Practice Notes 8/6

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by shawn12011, Aug 8, 2002.

1. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just noticed them up this morning:

http://unitedmania.mlsfansites.com/story.php?news_ID=200764

What I noticed was the Richie Williams was missing from the list. Was this an oversite, John, or was he not there?

Bad reviews for Namoff from practice. No wonder there is talk of him going down to Richmond.

2. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    Good catch, my mistake. Corrected.

3. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I like the role that Reyes is coming into.

4. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    Using him to mark a particular opposing player out of a game? I like this too, since Milton has that speed and tenacity, and I think seeing him everytime you look up can really frustrate and neutralize an opponent. It seems to have worked quite well the couple of times so far.

The only problem I see is that if Reyes is 'stuck' to one player, we may lose some of his adventurous forward runs. Maybe not too much though, because he does have the ability to get back quickly.

5. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "It's half full, the glass is." Is Ray going crazy or did his Yoda alter ego come out there for a second.

It sounds like there's a lot of tention within the club. More so than would've been generated by TR if he was still around. I think it's a good thing. You seem to fight that much harder when backed into a corner.

TS.

6. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Away put your tape recorder, I have for you no quotes.

7. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    You may remember that in 2000, Williams and Talley got into a shoving match at halftime. In the press, Rongen, like Hudson, said that he thought players getting on each other about their poor performances was a good thing, and was thus villified here for such comments.

Dave

8. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Yes, I do remember that and I still think it is a bad thing when teammates are fighting. It is one thing if the team is doing well and teammates are getting on each other to step it up, but when the team is in the dumps this just speaks of disunity and poor morale! All of which does not improve a team, but makes everyone play more independently!

9. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Exactly. My point is that Hudson seems to be doing the same things that Rongen was hated for. Yet, while Hudson hasn't been given immunity, he also hasn't inspired the same sort of vitriol here.

Dave

10. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

That thought occurs to me too. Here's how I answer it: Back in the glory days Richie Williams would mark various opposition players out of games, but he was still able to get forward to contribute 8 or so points per season, a couple of goals, a couple of assists. How could he do that? Because our offense controlled the ball well enough that Williams didn't have to mark his man full time.

So in theory if our offense became potent again, Reyes would find spots to go forward as well and since he obviously can go forward better than Wee One can he should still be able to get his points per season. All in all this role will turn him into a smarter player as he now is getting the responsibility to read the flow of the game to see where he is most needed. To my mind he'd do this best from a d-mid position, which might happpen next year if Mckinley retires. The central positioning would allow him to be in a better position to react to the overall game.

11. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well if we are still having these conversations this time next year, I'm pretty sure Ray will be inspiring soem vitriol.

12. RoHo

RoHo New Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Hudson hasn't taken a team that won 3 of 4 MLS Cups and turned it into a pile of crap.

13. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Thank you for taking the words right out of my mouth. I'm sure the Rongen apologists would love to see someone else get half the load dumped on them that TR did. Newsflash: when Ray has done half (or probably less) as much wrong, he probably will.

14. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He came into a sinking ship. Face facts we are spoiled, as some other boards like to say. We expect all or nothing. Ray still has time left on his ride to fix this leaky ship.

15. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I WAS spoiled, I got that bitch slapped out of me after the 2000 season. :rolleyes:

16. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Not that I care to start a war...but this is clearly a slippery slope to bad blood...However, I can't resist stating the obvious:

Hudson has done little good so far in the area that really matters.

A coach in any sport and in any environment should be judged on win-loss primarily. To a lesser degree, the side aspects such as outreach and style of play are important. But judging only by the performance of the team, I would say that this is the second worst United season ever...but it could turn out mildly better than two others.

I, of course, will be willing to give Ray the chance to turn it around for next year, as he did basically inherit a three-legged donkey. But if we don't have a minimal turn-around towards the end of this season, I will be glad to see new blood in the manager or field positions. There are no sacred cows on this team, coach Hudson included.

Tim

17. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Chico, you are such a good guy, I think we need to form a posse and go after the person that "bitch slapped" you! Let's get the MFer!!!

;)

18. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    My time frame is that Ray Hudson has about 6 - 10 games next season to finally right this ship! That gives him one full season with a short pre-season, plus a full off season and 1/3 of the next season to put a winning team out there! Plenty of time seeing as The Bruce did it in half a season!

19. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Agreed.

If United is the Pequod, Hudson is Ahab, and Gazza is Moby Dick.

Keep Dave Sarachan's number handy, I have a feeling we'll need to be dialing it next May.

20. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    That would be Thomas Rongen :D