Practice News & Quotes 8-29-02

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Th4119, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
  2. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Odd that once everyone is healthy, our most consistant player, and one of 2 players to play every minute for us this year will find a place on the bench.

You've gotta feel for Prideaux. Although if that happens, he could be the best defensive sub on any bench in the league...imagine that, depth!!

3. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    To see Prideaux ridin pine would be a shame, he has worked his butt off this year, no doubt.

Tino sounds jazzed up to get back to it, and positive about the team. Good to hear!

Nothing like some competition for his job to spark Jaime, huh?

Mark

4. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Thanks for the link Thamlin19.

It sounds like DC United is charged up to play on Saturday.

Hopefully it will be a great game.

It will be nice when DC United has Quaranta back. The team utterly lacks his attitude.

I hope he gets well soon.

5. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    I hope the rest of the team truly feels as optimistic as Tino sounds. I also like the fact that he is as confident in Ray as I am.

Funny how being injured and having your job on the line gives some players a kick in the bum to bring there play up a notch.

6. rymannryan

rymannryan New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    N.N., Virginia
    It's good to hear some positive things out of United's training. Haven't heard that kind of stuff in a while.

7. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    So if prideaux sits then the lineup is:

--------Q2-----------Plate O' Food
    -------------El Diablo
    Bobby--------------------------Benny
    -------------Wee One---(ITT)
    (ITT)--Reyes---Nellie-------His Holiness

I have ITT in parentheses in two places because it's unknown if Ray will use him as that twin to Williams or put him on the back line. I presume he would most likely be as a d-mid but I wouldn't put it past Hudson to put him out of position yet again.

Glad Jaime's actually putting out some effort. I'd guess that Ray read him the riot act: any more missed games due to injuries of any type and your fat ass is gone.

8. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I'd rather see Pridueax than ITT. Can't stand ITT.

Sachin

9. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I'd rather see both of them on the pitch and Richie on his ass.

When it comes down to ITT and Brandon, at least Ivan has good long balls.

Seriously though, Williams should be swapped for Ivan straight up.

10. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    Nice report, Diceson!

I've noticed this year that there seem to be very positive reports from training, and then lackluster performances at game time.

While I believe Jaime had a good practice, I think he has MUCH to prove on Saturday, and for the remainder of the season. If there's anyone on the team whose job is really on the line, I think it is Moreno.

Shocked to hear that Prideaux might be on the bench. I can understand why, but we'll see....

Tino sounds like his attitude is healthy. But attitude doesn't score goals, especially when you're recovering from a hernia operation.

I preedict a cynical 1-0 victory for DC this weekend. SEE YOU ON SATURDAY!

11. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Fixed your post... :p

Todd, is there something you're not telling us? Not that theres anything wrong with it....

12. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has been talking about Landon an awful lot. ;)

13. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    "Plate O Food"?? Hee hee, I like that.

14. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shall we call him 'Silpancho' Moreno?

I agree with the Doppler, most of the practice reports the last two years sound like we are turning the corner making great plays and shots, but then we look like crap in games.

15. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    Yeah, I guess Jaime should stop getting injured on purpose.

16. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Fault isn't the issue here. The team simply can't afford an out of shape non-playing maximum salary player. That max salary guy has to be a team leader: lead the team in practices and lead the team on the field with substantial contributions. Regardless of how Moreno's injuries were caused he has to be a leader. He hasn't though and the team can't afford to invest so much in a player who doesn't contribute.

17. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    So you admit that the injuries aren't his fault? If so what is the purpose of reading him the riot act about missing games? I'm sure Moreno wishes he were able to play all the games and be healthy. Moreno is not skipping games to have a day off or to be with the national team.

Are you just saying his injuries prevent him from being a team leader? Or are you saying that once a player shows that he can get injured he is no longer worth very much money?

18. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    Jaime's "eat at McDonalds and Dunkin' Donuts as often as possible while leaving the couch as infrequently as possible" offseason training program doesn't help him stay injury free.

Jaime's terrible work habits are partially (if not mostly) responsible for his frequent injuries.

Remember Jaime's last terrible year? 1998, I think. He went to England and got fat. He came back with shin splints (shocking) and struggled to overcome them the whole year. Whose fault were those shin splints? The 20 pound tire around Jaime's waist was to blame. And only Jaime can be blamed for that. If Jaime worked hard in the offseason, he wouldn't get injured so often.

19. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I guess the same could be said about Eddie Pope.

20. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    The difference being that I don't think anyone question's Eddie's fitness. After the last couple of years, I would make Jaime's committment to off-season fitness the determinant on whether he gets kept on. He's moody, but Ray can work with moody (vide Senor Horseface in Miami, much worse than Jaime would ever be, IMO). But out of shape is somethign that takes time and determination to fix, and suddenly being converted to the Church of Hey I Gotta Perform or Someone WIll Take My Job is not enough to address it.

21. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moreno is skipping games because his heart isn't in it. This shows through in offseason conditioning and his lack of commitment to get healthy this season.

His lack of involvement with the side prevents him from being a team leader. Remember a long injured Ben Olsen would practice with the side and show support even though he felt he might never play again. That is the difference between leadership, and crashing the ship. Commitment.

Injuries don't diminish a players earnings or worth, if they are good enough to be a starter, once they return to health, they are still better than most players. Ask Olsen and Villegas.

22. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Prideaux out to avoid another shoving match with Landon? That's a curious change.

K

23. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Not trying to get healthy? Look he underwent a long term and reportedly very painful procedure involving burning of herbs attached to needles in Bolivia early in the season.

He was the most fouled player in the league for the first six years! He has taken more studs to the back of his ankles and thighs than most players his age! It is understandable that these nasty challenges wear the body down and make it more difficult to fully heal. What other player gets continually singled out for Rusty Pierce or John Doylesque muggings in every game?

Jaime has been a solid contributor for 6 seasons with DC United! Now because he has ONE off season, everyone is out for blood! Fire Jaime, I'm sure that will solve every single problem DC United has! (I'm in a crap mood and am tired of hearing that Moreno is the cause of all our woes so forgive the above it's not directed at any single poster!)

24. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    GRACIAS!!
    ps...bring your crap mood to the stadium tomorrow

25. Lowecifer