Powell Names Europe's Sweet 16

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by NYfutbolfan, Mar 18, 2003.

1. NYfutbolfan

NYfutbolfan Member

Dec 17, 2000
    LI, NY
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=540&e=3&u=/ap/20030318/ap_on_re_mi_ea/powell

Powell names 15 European countries plus 15 non-European countries that support the US enforcing resolution 1441. For whatever reason, Portugalis not on the list, but they are very possibly in the group of quiet 15 nations that would rather be unnamed.

Considering the media, France, Germany and the UN have done their utmost to disparage our leadership, it is comforting to note that 45 nations stand beside the US against this bloodthirsty tyrant.

2. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC
    stand beside it figuratively of course. literally, only two countries will send troops to stand beside US troops.

about 30 countries support the US in this war but only 3 countries have troops. in the Gulf War 28 countries contributed troops.

3. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
  4. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    You were hit on the head THAT hard, and you can still type? That's determination.

There are apartment buildings on my street that are sending more troops to Iraq than Spain, the freaking co-author of the war resolution.

5. RuiJorge2002

RuiJorge2002 New Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Southeastern MA
    Interesting that Portugal wasn't mentioned. I know they were at the meeting in the Azores, and the government has been attacked by the Communist party for supporting the US. It's a pretty public issue over there right now. I think it might just have been an oversight.

I wonder if any middle eastern countries gave their support to the US. I doubt we'd be using Kuwait as the main base of operations if they didn't support us. ditto with Qatar.

6. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Re: Re: Powell Names Europe's Sweet 16

I'm also interested to know what support Nicaragua, Ethiopia and Eritria are giving. Sounds very much like a coalition of the desperate to me in order to make the numbers look respectable.

7. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > I'm also interested to know what support
    > Nicaragua, Ethiopia and Eritria are giving. Sounds
    > very much like a coalition of the desperate to me
    > in order to make the numbers look respectable.

Yeah, I don't think that half these nations would care one way or the other if Iraq slipped into a black hole, was trasported 1000 years into the past, and provided a vital base for the spaceships of the Vorlons and Minbari in their war to defeat the Shadows. They just publicly picked sides in the hidden War for Supreme Power on Earth.

8. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Israel, Kuwait and Bulgaria are not on the list. Wonder why not.

Uzbekistan, Georgia and Estonia are such great coalition partners!

Can anyone (including Dubya) point to Eritrea on a map?

Let's hope for a quick and clean victory with minimal casualties. It's not worth even one life, even if Dubya and the neo-cons gloat afterwards. I'm sure they will declare victory a la Afghanistan. By the way, that war isn't over yet. If it were, why are US troops still getting killed over there.

9. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Phillipines is also not on the list. Aren't we deploying troops there to support the government against the rebel Muslims in the south?

Ungrateful Phillipinos!

10. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    I think that by "support" they mean they just said "I'm cool with it", not that they are actually taking part in the war.

11. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    Filipinos

12. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I knew I misspelled it when I hit reply. Too lazy to edit.

And how about those damned Phrench?

13. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2860629.stm

scroll down a bit to this:

In other developments:

- Denmark said it would send a submarine and a corvette to join the military campaign

a corvette? sweet. i wonder who gets to drive that puppy around. tommy franks maybe?

14. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Bulgaria and the Phillippines are both on the list. Kuwait and Israel are both most likely among the 15 "unnamed" countries. Portugal must be also since they are definitely supporting us, but there doesn't seem any reason to me why they wouldn't want to be named--possibly whoever typed the list omitted them by mistake?

7 of the 15 "unnamed" countries are pretty obvious--Israel, Kuwait, UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, Pakistan, and Jordan--any guesses who the other 8 might be?

Alex

15. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Eritrea is a break away province of Ethiopia(now independent) that has a border with the Red Sea, thus landlocking Ethiopia.

16. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    So to get this all written down who are the 15 named countries? Britain, Poland, Spain etc?
    And we can guess these unnamed ones :Israel, Kuwait, UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, Pakistan, and Jordan.
    I wouuld venture that some eastern european countries like Hungary, Czech Rep could be among the un named. Please help clarify the named ones.

17. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    The list is in the Yahoo link, but you have to hunt for it:

Afghanistan (news - web sites), Albania, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Colombia, Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador (news - web sites), Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Hungary, Italy, Japan (post conflict), Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Netherlands, Nicaragua, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Spain, Turkey, United Kingdom, Uzbekistan.

Most likely, from this group, we'll see special operations support from Australia, Denmark, Italy, Romania, Spain, and the UK; a chemical weapons cleanup team from the Czech Republic; and air and/or naval support from Australia, Bulgaria, Denmark, Italy, Holland, Spain, and the UK. In addition to, of course, large numbers of ground troops from the UK, Australia, and possibly Turkey.

Alex

18. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Cool thanks

19. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Portugal played a role in getting US supplies to Isreal during the '73 war. The Portugese probley don't want to be seen as a US pawn.

Spain not sending troops? They could have sent some Foreign Legion troops.

20. Metros#1

Metros#1 New Member

May 14, 2001
    NJ
    Who are they?? Nobody said the Afghanistan war was over and victorious (just phase 1 maybe), and in fact the administration said repeatedly the long and tedious and dangerous phase of hunting down remnant of Al Qaeda and Taliban terrorists is ongoing. Why do you expect it should be over so quickly? The bottom line is it's the right thing to do -- getting rid of Taliban and making Al Qaeda on the run, something you would never achieve by diplomacy alone.

21. domingo

domingo Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hanover
    Club:
    FC Hansa Rostock
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is this supposed to be a joke? Spanish Foreign Legion???

domingo

22. mannyfreshstunna

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    No there is a Spanish Foreign legion. It was created to bring Morroco into the Spanish fold. It was originally made up of criminals and pyschos, and their battle cry was "long live death!" Their name is just barely escaping me right now.... I'll bet it's quite a crack force nowadays.

23. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    But do you really want the Turkish ground troops? Seems to me like they will cause more problems than they might solve.

24. Sardinia

Sardinia New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Sardinia, Italy, EU
    Powell announcing Italy's support (and not our government) has produced already a little political earthquake, with oppositions asking the government to clarify, now let's see the developments.

There's still no official support by Italy.

Maybe one of the positive side effects will be that we finally get rid of berlusconi.

25. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Holland isn't giving any actual military support. But it's bad enough that we give 'political support'. Bunch of spineless phucks.