PotW: Matt Taylor???

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Stan Collins, Jul 10, 2005.

1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Because when the Chivas USA were on TV several times earlier in the year, he was pretty bad - horrible shooting, horrible dribbling, horrible passing ... and a horrible haircut to boot.

Having said that - and I am not even going to harp on a UCLA grad with very little skill coming out of college - the most impressive thing about the Chivas USA vs. RSL was their movement. I think Westerhof's influence is being felt already. You can see very good off-the-ball runs, quick one-touch passing and improved reading of the opposing defense gaps from the highlight reel. That's the right directions not only for Matt Taylor but for the league overall.

2. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "clear winner for the week"

Haven't seen anything official on MLSnet.com yet, but anyway:

Taylor wins MLS Player of the Week (ussoccerplayers.com)

3. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Greatest post-goal commentary I've ever heard, starting at around 3:54 on the highlight reel.

Rongen: "Que golazo! Again, nice left ball by uh left-footed ball by... shoelaces... perfection."

Thought I suspect Rongen was struggling to say Taylor's name without spitting out one of the dozen Dutchspañol insults he used to hurl at him during Chivas' practices, Rongen's random slip of the tongue may have bore an impossibly cool nickname: Matt "Shoelaces" Taylor.

4. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Ha, I like it.

5. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    If he doesn't disappear from the US Soccer scene as fast as he entered it, Matt "Shoelaces" Taylor may be one of those immortal nicknames.