Potential MLS CONMEBOL Players

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Tyler66, Jul 7, 2005.

1. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    yeah a list that contains claudio pizarro jefferson farfan and nolbero solano as potential mls players is pretty ridiculous

two players from peru and quite possibly the only two currently that could be signed by an mls team are

Julio Garcia 24 midfielder(copa sudamericana champion with cienciano)
    played for morelia last year and is now looking for clubs(some say turkey others say back to peru) if hes willing to go back to peru then he is in the mls price range(it was rumoured that the galaxy wanted him at the start of last season)

another player is Aldo Olcese 31 offensive midfielder
    has played in greece and was playing for Alianza Lima, till he decided to go to china for more money, this transfer went wrong but he still wants to leave alianza so thats another potential player and theres no way he would be out of the mls price range..he has played many times for peru, usually of the bench

2. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    Tyler66,

Good idea, but you're targeting players who already have a high-profile, which MLS wouldn't even dream to be on the bidding table.

Yet, while the idea of going into CONMEBOL for experienced players (past their prime) is worthwile there is a better one. If MLS, could get players who are young or mid-age on the periphery. Its very possible for MLS, to get young players who are about to "hit their stride." Before their asking price skyrockets.

Of course, scouting of this magnitude takes a lot of time & energy following radio reports, newspaper accounts of who did good in practice. Which is possible w/soccer obsessed south america. The other thing is, most south americans would prefer to be in the MFL, than MLS. Reasons? Higher Pay & more int'l competition & High recognition in the Americas & no/little language difference. If pay was more attractive OR mls was in more int'l competittions, it might help bring in more marquee players.

3. Goquakesgo

Goquakesgo New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    San Jose
    wait didn't Palacios play in the MLS at one point? or am i thinking of another Palacios?

4. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I'm leaving out Uruguay, Paraguay, Colombia, Argentina, and Brazil, because those teams and their leagues are on par with MLS if not better. A Paraguyuan list would be to hard and to long. Sorry.

And to everyone complaining about my lists, please read other posts, before you post:

Two different ones.

5. Goquakesgo

Goquakesgo New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    San Jose
    right, thanks after some research I found out the Palacios i was talking about was Raul Palacios a Chilean midfielder who played with the Rapids

Now correct me if i'm wrong but i believe he is currently still playing at Deportivo La Serena in Chile, and he's 29, could he play in the MLS still? was he any good when he was here the first time?

6. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Here's all I know about the two Palacioses who have played in MLS:

Palacios, Arley
    Regular Season GP GS MIN G A PTS
    1998 MetroStars 24 23 1,986 0 1 1
    1999 MetroStars 7 7 622 1 0 2
    Miami 10 9 748 0 0 0
    Two-year Totals 41 39 3,356 1 1 3

MLS Cup Playoffs GP GS MIN G A PTS
    1998 MetroStars 2 2 180 0 0 0

Palacios, Raul
    Regular Season GP GS MIN G A PTS
    2002 Colorado 16 8 836 0 5 5

I just looked up Palacios on the all-time register to answer your question. :D
    Also on these lists I do leave out players who've already played in MLS.

7. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Venezuelans:

M/F Juan Arango, 25, RCD Mallorca (Spain)
    D Alejandro Cichero, 28, Liteks Lovech (Bulgaria)
    F Massimo Margiotta, 28, Vicenza Calcio (Italy)
    F Ruberth Morán, 32, Estudiantes FC de Merida (Venezuela)
    M Gabriel Urdaneta, 29, BSC Young Boys (Switzerland)