Potential for USMNT Matches in Philly?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by CyphaPSU, Sep 29, 2004.

1. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With baseball now moving into DC, specifically RFK Stadium, it will likely mean that the US Mens National Team will no longer play WC Qualifiers or friendlies in DC (at least for the three years the Expos will be in RFK).

Is it possible that these devolopments will bring USMNT matches to Philly at the Linc? Afterall, the USWNT already plays games there. I figure US Soccer should consider it now that they have lost a venue to host matches.

2. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    What about fedex field???

don't know it's width although WWC 1999 had matches there.

I thought the USMNT linkage to MLS was all about supporting MLS??

3. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia

I don't quite buy the argument. The US men and women have played at Safeco Field in Seattle and that went quite well, and you would not have argued, had the Vet had grass, that the US shouldn't have gone there. RFK is built for football and baseball and can take both sports easily.

4. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    It was also once told to me by a member of the soccer media that when Bruce wants a game here, he'll get it. Notwithstanding what he told the NY Times yesterday, but the idea is probably true.

5. Toejam Football

Toejam Football New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Columbus,OH

Fedex was expanded to a capacity of over 90K for this pointyball season. Judging from the looks of things watching the Redskins-Cowboys game Monday night, they've narrowed the width by putting extra seats at field level. Are those seats permanent or temp bleachers? I don't know.

6. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    The seats are permanent.

7. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that the pitch at the Linc was too narrow to play WCQ on. I remember during CWS this summer that the corners were too close to the goal. Anyone know the regulation on this and if the Linc can be used?

8. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    Linc width needs to be expanded a yard on each side...would cramp the corners a bit, yet still be acceptable.

Personally, I think ussf is looking more at paydays for friendlies.

My observation is the continued use of rfk and foxboro and columbus just diminishes attendance.

The novelty of a USMNT coming to town is severely reduced.

New venues should be incorporated, and given the linkage between mls and usmnt matches, hopefully mls gets a financial source here.

I suspect we'll see Salt Lake City host a hex match??? given their new franchise???

as to dc united, I suspect a cramped fedex is better than an rfk with a baseball diamond in the middle???

9. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Neither is better than bringing in grass trays for two years, which is probably what will happen.