Posterboard Material for the Lockeroom (Qualifying - TNT)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by jmeissen0, Dec 3, 2004.

1. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    USA Gun Talk - Trinidad Express

i'd quote some of it... but it won't let me copy it (i just want portions, which is pretty much acceptable... not the whole thing or even close to it)... and i'm not going to type it out

dammit... i'm betting everything is going this route... bastards

yorke rips their federation and jack warner... good stuff

please make notes of the quote from TNT captain angus eve

arena and bruce gave them some posterboard quotes... thus the title... (and theirs)

2. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    I love his quote about San Juan Jabloteh beating the Fire, and thats the reason they'll win against the national team.

Bragging about beating the last placed team in the league, a team that doesn't even have first-team US players on it anymore!!!

Wow we really are going to beat them...

3. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    That's how the article begins. "We believe we can..." said Reyna. "If we win..." said Reyna. My guess is that Bruce and Landon were even more respectful in their statements, and that's why they were not quoted.

Looks to me like this T&T reporter and their captain are trying to play up the "underdog" card as a motivating factor the team. Can't blame them for that, but the evidence just isn't there that we're taking T&T lightly.

4. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Control + C is a beautiful thing:

Reyna's comments came a day after the draw in Zurich, while top striker Landon Donovan and US coach Bruce Arena also predicted a win when they spoke to reporters.
    Reyna's comments came a day after the draw in Zurich, while top striker Landon Donovan and US coach Bruce Arena also predicted a win when they spoke to reporters.

5. Zathras

Zathras Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Minneapolis
    As is using any browser other than IE...

I'm not sure that I agree with Claudio here: "I think the goal is to not only qualify for the World Cup, but to win the group."

I'd say that finishing third would do me just fine. Clinch that third place finish and then use the remaning game(s) (if any) for squad development.

6. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah i was going to say...is there any real, concrete benefit to finishing first in the group? i think your No. 1 goal is to get experience to new guys and get settled on a lineup (a process which takes several matches...including friendlies)

but i guess approaching a tournament with "Let's finish 3rd" as a battle cry would probably be counter-productive...actually you know what, it's probably a good thing to approach it like we're the favorites. sends the message to other teams...

7. Marquis de Sage

Marquis de Sage New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    So you're saying that you just want to qualify... which happens to be one of Claudio's goals too, as mentioned in the first part of the quote: "the goal is to... qualify for the World Cup."

Why just aim to finish third? I don't think by aiming to finish first it means that we're going to try to play Brazilian football and end up loosing too many games. And if the likes of Spector and Gooch can keep Jamaica to a draw, I don't see why finishing first and squad development have to be mutually exclusive.

When you're considered the top dog in the region, you don't say your goal is to finish in third place. That's like shooting for the "A for Effort" trophy or the fair play award.

8. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    We don't have to win the blue ribbon. We just need to finish in the 50th percentile. As Argentina and Germany showed us last time around, how you do in qualifying is absolutely no predictor of how well you'll do in the World Cup.

But the danger with aiming for the 50th percentile is that you might miss. Better to aim for that blue ribbon.

9. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I have no problems with what Reyna said. Hell if he said that we will beat T&T like a rented mule I would have had no problems with it.

I think a win there takes some pressure off the opening streach of games in the Hex, but in reality, we just need points.

10. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    My attitude on qualification has changed. Where we finish in the top 3 doesn't matter to me one iota. What does make a difference, in my mind, is how quickly we qualify.

I'd like to see us wrap up qualification in 7 games. That'd be sweet. More realistic would be us sealing the deal in game 8 or 9. I sure as hell hope it doesn't come down to the 10th game.

11. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Couldn't where we finish affect our seed in the WC draw? (Assuming we make it, knock wood, etc.)

12. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    No. Only the top 8 are seeded. Our won-loss-draw record would affect our FIFA ranking, which affects where we would end up in the seeding formula. Unless 2-3 teams ahead of us fail to qualify, we won't be in the top 8.

After the top 8, teams are grouped by confederation, so two teams from confederations other than UEFA aren't drawn into the same group.

Sachin

13. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    It sounds like you are saying Qualifying does matter to me. It may not be easy, but it would be good to be in the best position to finish with a top 8 seed and finishing first can help, right?

14. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Expect to see this alot for this hex. Pretty much everyone except Mexico will be trying to twist our pre-match quotes into arrogance and over-confidence and try to turn us into like Italy or something. They'll learn soon enough that Bruce Arena and our team approach every game as if we are the underdog.

15. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I, for one, cannot understand how anybody can call The Bruce arrogant.

I think if we win the group and the Gold Cup, we should move ahead of Mexico who is currently ranked 8th. Also, it always seems like one of hte Top 8 teams fails to make it for some reason, so that could work in our advantage.

16. Marquis de Sage

Jul 24, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    I'm not sure that the seeding for the top 8 teams is based on "The Fifa World Ranking." For example, when the Final Draw for WC '02 was made in December 2001, the ranking for the top ten was as follows:

1 France
    2 Argentina
    3 Brazil
    4 Portugal
    5 Colombia
    6 Italy
    7 Spain
    8 Netherlands
    9 Mexico
    10 England

Neither Columbia nor the Netherlands made the tournament, which would put Mexico at the 7th position and England at the 8th position. Notice that Germany, which got a "Number One" seeding, isn't even in the Top Ten.

Both Italy and Mexico (both in the modified top 8) and Argentina and England (also in the modified top 8) were drawn together. I specifically remember England not being a "One" seed, and I'm assuming Italy was the "One" seed in its group.

This would lead me to conclude that other factors go into determing the top 8, and that the Top 8 of the "Fifa World Ranking" and the top 8 seeds aren't one and the same. Even if we finish ahead of Mexico then, that doesn't mean we're a top seed.

17. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    Seeds for the WC are based on a weighted average of the last 3 WC results, and the FIFA/Coca-Cola rankings at the end of the 3 years prior to the WC. As of the December rankings, 5/6's of that formula will be known. See the thread in the "FIFA and Tournaments" Board.

18. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    the host is also seeded... regardless of their rank... meaning it's essentially 7 seeds (although you figure germany would be seeded even if they weren't the host for the next cup)

19. Marquis de Sage

Jul 24, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Can we petition FIFA to have '98 excluded from our seeding...

Thanks for the information.

20. Jonez

Jonez New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Boston
    Copying from above post:

The new FIFA/coke rankings have come out so here are the new seeding formula results. For those who have been following along, there are no surprises. For those just joining, you may consider getting acquainted to the linked threads at the bottom of this post.

63.67 Brazil
    51.17 Spain
    50.17 Germany
    47.17 Italy
    47.00 England
    46.00 Argentina
    45.83 Mexico
    45.67 France
    36.50 Turkey

So the US would need 2 of the top 8 teams to fail to qualify. Doesn't seem very likely.

21. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to give a link to that thread so that folks can get over there easy and tell eldiablito thank for the calculations.

22. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    there is the possibility france does not advance...

then usa needs to win the hex and hope mexico falls suficiently....

at least we don't have to deal with POLL voters who can rig their voting...

23. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the chances of either the U.S. or the Netherlands catching the seeded teams right now are close to nil. Two thirds of the points are fixed and there is unlikely to be a significant change to the FIFA rankings in the next month which would make 5/6 of the points fixed. If FIFA sticks to the formula, Mexico is going to be seeded if they qualify.

The biggest question might be what happens if one of the teams ticketed for a seed fails to qualify and the Netherlands (ahead of the U.S. on points) is next in line. I think the odds would favor the Dutch getting the seed, but with them failing to qualify the last time out you never know.

24. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ha! And Chicago Fire were not even the Champion Club last season. Unless they were counting a Supporters' Shield winner as the champion!