Post Tite Era....

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by manimal, Jun 10, 2022.

1. manimal

manimal Member

Dec 23, 2018
    Who do you think will be next Selecao Coach after Tite? Is there a good Brazilian Coach at the moment who will be good enough?

Or how high is the chance that a foreigner will coach Selecao in future?

2. Doc_Exec

Doc_Exec Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Pep Guardiola. :)

3. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I feel like we really have no idea.

There was the on and off Pep speculation, that CBF would make a serious move for him, but that has finally died down.

Cuca has been talked about but that would be problematic.

Abel is now the one getting the hype and deservedly so.

But I feel like the name may not even be among the speculation yet.

4. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I doubt Pep would come. He might accept the job closer to the WC, say in mid 2025, but to spend a 4 year cycle playing against B and C-rated Conmebol teams just to take a crack at a WC isn't a very good deal for him.

Mister would be a good choice. He has already proven himself in brazil, is a native portuguese speaker, and culturally closer to us.

5. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's not a good deal for us either, or for Argentina. It looks like we're going to get some resistance from the rest of CONMEBOL in changing the format of WCQ though.

https://ge.globo.com/futebol/futebo...liminatorias-para-copa-do-mundo-de-2026.ghtml

Previously it was suggested the format would change. Now reports are that Argentina and Brazil will argue for that change but other teams might not want it.

Of course it also remains to be seen whether adding CONMEBOL to UEFA Nations League happens or not. If it does, it would not only be good for us, it would probably help recruit a foreign coach if we do go that route.

6. manimal

manimal Member

Dec 23, 2018

"If it does, it would not only be good for us, it would probably help recruit a foreign coach if we do go that route."

You mean it would be good for brazil if they gonna be added in NL :)?

7. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Does anyone think otherwise?

8. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    as boring as that is, I think I still prefer the round robin format. We get an almost guaranteed pass to the WC, whereas in groups of 5 teams / 8 games, a bad start ala WCQ2018 could be fatal.

Deep Pal repped this.
  9. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I like the 18 match format too, but keep in mind next time around there are 6 spots + a playoff.

The 18 match format is still safer for Brazil and Argentina, but even a slow start wouldn't be enough to eliminate Brazil in a 5 team group.

The 18 game format was good for competitiveness, but with no Confed Cup, we need the dates for matches against other confederations.

10. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    This post is now a bit over 3 months old. Has anything changed in your analysis?

As far back as December 2021, I wrote here that Abel may be a candidate to replace Tite. This view has begun to gain traction among Brazil's sports journalists, even though Abel forthrightly stated that Tite's successor must be Brazilian as well.

It does not appear, at least for now, that this would be plausible: 5 months ago, Abel signed a contract extension with Palmeiras until 2024. Palmeiras is going to claw and to fight to keep him, and all the more so if he leads Palmeiras to a third straight Libertadores final - which would make Palmeiras the first team to do since the SPFC of 1992-1994. If Abel leads Palmeiras to the final AND to a 3rd consecutive continental title, the pressure will be too great from fans and from Palmeiras' senior management to tell CBF to go find somebody else if CBF does seek Abel post-Qatar, regardless of whether Brazil wins the tournament or not.

However, as of this moment, I don't see anybody in Brazil with his political capital. A recent UOL story mentioned how Scarpa, headed for the Premier League at year's end, detailed differences between Abel and Brazilian coaches.

I'm pretty sure @celito will oppose Palmeiras releasing Abel to CBF, and I'm equally sure he and other palmeirenses would oppose "sharing" him the way Corinthians and CBF shared Vanderlei Luxemburgo in the second half of 1998.

In any case, time will tell. As of now, I personally believe Abel will refuse any invitations from CBF, and if that does transpire, CBF will have a very steep hill to climb in finding anybody anywhere near as qualified as Tite.

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't think Abel is the right guy for the NT. He needs to prove he can be more creative in attack with ball possession. If it's a Portuguese guy, I think CBF would try JJ.

Cuca was the latest front runner. But his stock just went down not to mention his rape / sexual assault case back in the 80s in Switzerland (I think) has gained attention. I am personally not a fan of Cuca.

And obviously, people are starting to talk about Dorival. He said in a recent interview that he feels prepared to coach the NT.

12. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As a matter of fact I was thinking this weekend, what if they pick someone like André Jardine? I could see it happening. He had a very solid Olympic cycle, and of course won the gold in the end. He knows a lot of the young players.

It would be just like CBF to pick someone like him at the beginning of the cycle, almost like a caretaker but who will stay if things go well.

In short, my analysis has not changed and I find it even harder to predict now that before. I do think Dorival is on the radar too though.

13. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So the big rumor this week is that Fernando Diniz is the current choice to head the national team starting next year.
    https://www.marca.com/futbol/futbol-internacional/2022/09/14/631cb572e2704ea10d8b4587.html

But Marca isn't the best place for this kind of news. If you read the above article it just says CBF prefers a Brazilian coach now (after previously reaching out to Guardiola) and it has spoken to Diniz's representative. It doesn't say Diniz is their numbr one choice, for example, it just uses Diniz as an example of a Brazilian coach they believe is capable.

14. Al Gabiru

Al Gabiru Member

Jan 28, 2020
    On sports talk shows, the favorites are Abel Ferreira (Palmeiras) and Dorival (Flamengo). The names of Diniz and Ceni lost momentum due to the fact that they didn't have titles, experience

15. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Right now, in terms of results, I would pick Abel Ferreira. The problem is his contract with Palmeiras and how much energy and time he devotes with his team.

That said, there is precedent for managing club and country concomitantly. Vanderlei Luxemburgo took over Brazil after the 1998 World Cup, but he was still Corinthians manager. He managed both until the end of 1998.

If Abel is offered the job, I believe the pressure will be too much for him not to accept. Palmeiras is having one of its most successful chapters ever, and they still have the manpower to reach the latter stages of the Libertadores next year. I don't think Palmeiras would tolerate sharing him with the national team.

But if his contract expired at the end of 2022 and he had already committed himself not to renew with Palmeiras, and if I were CBF, I'd do anything to sign him.

manimal repped this.
  16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Caio Riberio is saying that Mano Menezes will be the next manager. Seems like the news has caught some traction.

Stupid to leak something like this right before the WC. Even if Tite is non his way out regardless of result.

17. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    UOL had a story days ago saying that Abel's chances will be higher if Tite does not bring the Hexa on grounds that if Tite succeeds, many within Brazil's sports commentariat and within the domestic professional soccer circles will fall into the "we're the best, we need no external help" mentality.

I would still welcome Abel even if Tite brings the title home.

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    0% chance Abel takes over IMO.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  19. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Does that statement also include your personal desire that he stay at Palmeiras? I wouldn't blame you for not wanting him to leave.

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not really. Just based on things I've heard. I think Abel would only leave for the Portuguese NT job right now. And obviously, if some big European team came knocking.

21. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I wonder if leaking this before the WC has to do with being afraid of the chances of a foreign coach coming in.

I agree it's very bad timing. And knowing Tite is out, it's not like this does anything to change that. Also, the chance of bringing in a foreign coach seems low anyways.

Maybe there are internal tugs of war going on that have pushed one side to try to get out in front of things, to sway popular opinion. Mano Menezes' previous national team tenure is not remembered fondly, maybe this is someone playing the reverse card! Trying to frighten people into accepting the idea that we should pick a foreign coach, cause the alternative would be Mano Menezes!

22. Al Gabiru

Al Gabiru Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Mano Menezes means that many people at CBF are thinking about getting rich. He "accepted" several requests from Marin. (source: Fred já foi convocado por exigência de Marin r7).

23. manimal

manimal Member

Dec 23, 2018
    That's not good news I guess? With Menezes being considered?

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not only Mano Menezes, but Andres Sanchez as director with Ronaldo's backing. Puta panelinha ...

The leak may be related to create a popular / media rejection ?

25. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    What foreign coach would be worth it beside Pep?

Estuardo A. Lopez repped this.