Post stadium renderings here.

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Noah Dahl, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    Do you speak from experience? Examples? I'm curious. I've been to Selhurst Park, but the crowd was so measely (about 11K, probably more than half away fans, of which I was one, in a 26K stadium) that it wasn't all that loud. Cardinal Stadium could get loud when it was filled up, but again, the 11K on a cool night wasn't as loud as the same number in the old Soldier Field bowl. The new Soldier Field eats sound for breakfast in some areas, despite the high sides.

I always figured that leaving the corners open left room to grow.

2. Wallydrag

Wallydrag BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 24, 2002
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could agree with that partially, however during the hot, summer months, even at night, it's nice to have atlest one non-bowled end to let the wind blow through or else it get's so hot and stuffy.

Also, Highbury for instance is completly un-bowled. Boleyn Ground, the Valley, Goodison Park... all un-bowled however i'm pretty sure the atmospher is great at all those stadiums.

What helps are roofs.

3. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Not to discredit the picture, but wouldn't the smart thing (or atleast wishful) to do be to position the giant light poles so that the Rhinos could still expand in the corners?

Translation: Why don't they move the light poles so that if they needed they could make an entire upper deck surrounding the whole field?

4. Metrohooligan101

Metrohooligan101 New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Orlando Fl
  5. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    I miss iwarp.

6. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    It must have Gothic arches.

They should stretch that "cathedral of soccer" notion a bit further and make some massive "futuro" Gothic arches part of the structure.

You want your stadium to have a visual signature and it would be great to tie the Metros to gotham city.

7. amancalledmikey

Oct 27, 2003
    I have a bindle at this point...
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The Valley and the Boleyn are now bowled on two corners. The Valley has the North-West and North-East corners bowled round and will be completely enclosed if and when they rebuild the South stand. The Boleyn is bowled on the lower tiers of the West (Dr. Martens) stand and both ends. If and when the East Stand is redeveloped, it will also bowl with the lower tiers of the ends. The sections on the upper tiers between the West and the ends are enclosed, with a video screen at the Bobby Moore stand corner. Sound travels out and up, so sound is lost without roofs and walls. I find that what helps with a bowl is how the chants travel. The atmosphere at the North-West corner of the Boleyn has improved immeasurably since they filled the corner in, as there are more reasonably priced seats for like-minded people to sit in. Also, as there is no physical divide between fans in the Centenary Stand next to away supporters and those in the West Stand, chants build and travel as before they died.

Hope that helps. However, I can't believe that they are building stadiums in North Eestern USA without roofs. Even the Son Moix in sunny Mallorca has a roof.

8. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stands for the Metros stadium still need to be closer to the field. They're almost as far away as in the HDC. Still...awesome renderings though.

9. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
  10. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

my closest pro team! I'll be making a visit to the new digs.

11. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why?

12. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I agree that a roof makes a bigger difference.

But, I've been to Loftus Road which is completely enclosed and the enclosure all the way around does add to the atmosphere. Another nice thing about LR is that the size lets them turn over one entire end to the visiting fans (4,000-5,000 seats out of roughly 18,000).

I think the best a MLS team could do would be a stadium fully enclosed on the first level, and then only build out the two sides on the second level, leaving the second deck on the ends open. This would leave room for future capacity expansion.

13. hoop_crazy

hoop_crazy New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Louisville
    All this talk about SSS's is fun and all but we need to remember that we (the fans) really don't have much of a say in what style or look a SSS will have. Sure the European stadiums are cool and nice to look at, but this is the USA, and given the fact that we have to be different than everyone else these new stadiums possibly might be just another Americanized structure.

14. hoop_crazy

hoop_crazy New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Louisville
    However, I do have faith in the powers that be that decide what the stadiums will look like! WE need to give them credit. I would love to see stadium renditions consisting of closed seating sections with rooves, they are closer to the action and the atmosphere is more electric. Just like in a blender.

15. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks almost like Blackbaud Stadium

16. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be much more apt to travel for games to this place. Dekalb County stadium is probably the worst place I've ever seen professional sports played.

What part of Atlanta are they talking about this being in?

17. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
  18. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    The soccer field seems to only meet minimum International requirement of 110x70 yards at SeaHawks Stadium.

If that is the case, then it's too bad they didn't make enough room for at least
    115x74-75 yards (105x68-69 meters) soccer field.
    (I thought SeaHawks Stadium was build to be a world class soccer stadium too)

19. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    Gridball lines have invaded the MFL stadiums!

A bit off topic. But just wanted to point that MLS stadiums are not the only ones plagued by Gridball lines.

If near a TV turn the channel to Telefutura to view the Monterrey v Aguascalientes match with gridball lines and all.

Great crowd though. Probably the best in all the MFL.

20. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    that's the coolest little stadium i've ever seen. if the final thing looks anything like that, floridians are in for a treat.

on a side note, i thought ajax's plan was to have pdl and a-league teams. do they now plan on an mls team (i ask because the mls logo on the stadium)

21. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    That Ajax stadium is very, very cool looking. Me likey. Anybody have any details -- number of seats, club boxes, etc?

I'm looking and looking and looking, but I'm not seeing an MLS logo on that stadium. Where is it?

22. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's five logos (squares) on the side, it is the 2nd one from the right.

23. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Vaporware Stadium, future home of the Des Moines Menace:

[​IMG]

24. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Gridball lines have invaded the MFL stadiums!

Where was the game actually played? Who plays American football in Mexico?