Post-Olympics Celebration Tour Games

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by MRAD12, Sep 12, 2012.

1. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't the US playing from behind when Leroux subbed in on defense? The point of it was offense for defense and Leroux was to join the rush. I seem to recall the announcers making this point.

2. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't offense for defense. Ellis subbed out defenders too early and had no more viable defenders on the bench when Mitts was injured. So, it was a case of play with 10 women the rest of the match or make the forward play a defender.

3. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Perhaps he moved on to HSBC--too big to jail.

4. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a big problem with these two stats. This group played quite a few more games in a calendar year than the record setters and I think its comparing apples to oranges to say they did anything. The games against Ireland and China were against low quality teams that did nothing but pad the stats and put some money in the bank. It's a joke to say they accomplished records in this manner

I am glad Mia's record still stands as I think some records should never be broken. While I'm sure Abby will get the most goals record sometime next year, I'm will not happy to see it fall. Mia was a joy to watch. A pure talent in every sense of the word... a female version of Messi. Abby is a bull who's only real talent is scoring and I don't think anyone can say she plays the beautiful game. Yes scoring is important but once again, you have to level the playing field. I don't know how many games each have played but I suspect Abby has played many more. So if this is true (I'm too lazy to try and look it up) then she wins due to longevity. For me, a scoring record should be based on goals/per game played, or even better.... goals/minute played....not if you can hang on long enough past your expiration date to score more than someone else. Mia got out at about this age to get on with her life... Abby will have to be sent away, like Lilly was, in order for her to retire.

Personally, I think Tom needs to start phasing her out slowly. She can still contribute but she is near the end

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even close. Mia finished with 275 caps. Abby is a shade below 200. Mia was on the team about 17 years. Abby has been there for 12 or so.

CANAmerican, Katreus and Roger Allaway repped this.
  6. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could also argue that the level of competition is higher now across the board than it was when Akers and Jennings set it in 1991. So if you think of it in that way, Wambach and Morgan's year is even more impressive.

BlitzSpiele repped this.
  7. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Exactly. Mitts asked to come out. And US was never behind in any of the German friendlies.

8. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well if ur complaint is games played then the assist record should be Jennings who in 1991 had 21 assists in 28 games. Morgan would then be next with 21 in 32 and Mia third with 22 in 35 in 2004. Ive never been one to count games myself. The record is for assist in a season and the player has no control over how many games there r. I guess the fairest way would be assists per minutes played but I doubt ud find that information for pre 2000 games.

9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To complicate things even further, WWC matches in 1991 were 80 minutes long. I'm not sure what the case was for qualifying matches (if any) that year.

10. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ellis this, Ellis that....

Look what I started (tee-hee!) :)

11. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahaha. Yes! Abby's game might not be the stereotypical prettiness, but she is one of the most effective center forwards so far in the women's game and probably the most efficient and effective goal scorer for USWNT all time, especially in playoff games! I think there is something beautiful about that, to be so good at a chosen role - stark and raw as it may be.

CoachJon repped this.
  12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sydney came on in the 84th minute and Germany scored in the 85th to tie it. They could have immediately shifted to the 3-4-3 if they wanted, but I don't think they did.

13. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yep and when Marozsan came across the box with Rampone, a more experienced Right Back would have rotated over and to try and make Maro pass it into the corner. Im not sure u could successfully defend Germany for long with three deep back but I guess that was an option she might have considered. And it wasnt a planned move, just an emergency sub, so she was prolly caught flat footed.

I also think the two ties served as a nice little wake-up call to the team.

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so sure. If there were any matches they were concerned about losing, these were the ones.

15. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Not to take anything away from Akers, since she is one of the best players of all time, but Ireland and China are a lot better than some of the teams the US faced in 1991. For instance, Akers and Jennings scored 31 of their 55 combined goals in 5-0 or bigger routs over a total of 10 matches in which the US outscored their opponents 80-0. On the other hand, Morgan and Wambach scored only 14 of their 55 combined goals in such matches.

exref, Katreus, Gilmoy and 1 other person repped this.
  16. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    After watching another brutal take down of Morgan in the penalty box, I'm shocked that she doesn't get more calls from the refs. I could certainly understand a handball being missed or a defender grabbing a jersey, but some of these fouls are ferocious! Morgan has probably been the beneficiary of 3 or 4 penalty kicks, but she could've clearly had 8 0r 9 if the refs were doing their jobs. I still remember the Norway game where the defender just grabbed Morgan and shoved her to the ground, but no call.

17. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Im not a big fan a ticky tack fouls in the box and I like that refs try not to give away penalty kicks. Generally, its at least close enough to make an argument. This went beyond that. This is one of FIFA's Player of the Year finalists. When a player takes out someone's knees like that more than just a PK can be at stake. Morgan already had ACL surgery once and u simply cant have that kind of tackle in a game, "friendly" or not. It wasnt a melee in the box on a set piece. This was a player sandwiched while dribbling the ball. It would have been a yellow card if it happened up the field. The referee, Christine Ibanez, has done several games on the tour and seems to call a fair game. In this instance, her lack of making a statement that those actions would not be tolerated was unfathomable. She couldnt have stopped it from happening but she should have made sure it didnt happen again. At least Morgan gave her a piece of her mind!

18. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    You are so far off on this one that it is ridiculous. I am not sure how you can be a fan that even slightly cares about stats and not have any idea that Mia has 6 more goals in 77 more games than Wambach at this point.

19. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Exactly this. When they showed the replay from the side you see Morgan's leg start to bend and then luckily her footing was lost and she fell. If her boot had stuck in the turf a little longer she would have had knee damage.

20. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Mmmm there's nothing like the level of competition that Ireland and China brought. :rolleyes:
    They would have been better off scheduling UNC only I'm not so sure they could beat UNC and that would be embarassing

21. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Hold on there Skippy. Jill did do a great job, but every game was on home soil at familiar venues, these were not group qualification games and they were not knock out games. Given the flameouts that Jill's teams have experienced in knockout situations, I am not ready to give her that pass. I actually thought the USWNT played really pretty soccer much of the stretch under Jill.

22. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    1991 schedule:

Yugoslavia
    Bulgaria
    Hungary
    France
    USSR
    Mexico
    Tinidad-Tobago
    Haiti
    Canada
    France
    England
    Netherlands
    Germany
    China three times
    Norway twice
    China twice
    Sweden
    Brazil
    Japan
    Taiwan
    Germany
    Norway

Think you can see a few teams in there that were weaker than China and Ireland?

23. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Skippy? :cautious:

I was actually assessing how well Ellis handled the job she was asked to do. I felt like the team actually progressed during a celebration tour, which has to count as a substantial and unexpected achievement.

And of course:
    A: the knockout flameouts were a while back and she is presumably smarter now than she was then and
    B: the full national team is at much less risk for such a flameout than her actual teams-- they will pretty much always have a core of leadership on the roster who have been there before and have some idea how to respond to the unexpected.

And finally, I was not necessarily predicting unmitigated success if she were ever hired; I was indicating that I wouldn't feel any negativity in advance at such a hiring. You are not trying to hire a coach for what they have done in the past; you are hiring a coach for what you believe they are about to do. Its a good idea to give them a chance to do something.

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I love UNC but they dont score a goal against China. Maybe in 10 matches China goes 8-1-1 assuming China plays around with their line-up as they did in the three games. NCAA soccer is a different level. UNC vs Ireland might have been a good game at least.

Katreus repped this.
  25. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    It got your attention. I agree, it was a bit dismissive. I apologize for that.

A: Flameouts were a while back, but they were numerous and frequent--from not having a PK lineup ready during a U??-WWC game to never winning the NCAAs despite getting the best talent year-in and year-out.

B: See "A". But, player leadership does not do squat for bench and game management. That's the manager's job, solely.

Ellis' performance this fall has moved me from the virulently opposed camp to the wearily opposed camp. I still would like to see her win SOMETHING beyond the PAC-12 and CONCACAF UXX-WWC qualification before handing her the reigns.