(Post-match) WCQ: Costa Rica vs USA 6/3/09

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by aguimarães, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Re: (Pre-match) WCQ: Costa Rica vs USA 6/3/09

And that, right there, is the reason why artificial turf makes all the sense in the world in the tropics. It rains over here for 8 months every year. Keeping up a top notch natural surface under such conditions is an expense very few clubs (if any) in our region can afford.
    Artificial turf is taking hold in Costa Rica and I, for one, am glad. Other clubs are following Saprissa's lead realizing that they cannot afford their natural pitches. This will only help, as less games are played on mudpits during the winter and sandboxes during the summer.

2. Wiso

Wiso Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Club León

Is the new Olympic stadium going to have turf?

3. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006

i think 85 or 90 percent is natural...and the rest is artificial.

Like Ponch said...we need artificial turfs...a lot of our stadiums have bad fields...mostly due to the rain...and we don't have the money to maintain great natural pitches. the level of play is much better in a artificial turf then in a messed up natural pitch where its all wet and muddy. so stop hating :cool:

4. Wiso

Wiso Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Club León

well.. the chinos need to fork up more money so it can be all natural.

5. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense

You must spread some more blah blah blah...

It stays open for entertainment purposes:) Reading the sheer amount of ignorance posted from many Central Americans on this site (too ignorant to even bother responding to,) I'm embarrased even to call myself one. With all the horrors brought on by the CIA in the 70s and 80s, they (at least the contingent in the US) cheer for the same USMNT and unleash it all out on Mexico and Costa Rica instead. This really gets tiring, and I completely understand why we´re the laughing stock of most of both North and South America; that´s all I´m going to say about it.

As far as the synthetic turfs, Costa Rica pretty much has the only playable fields in CA, since many ¨fields¨ are actually just dirt and rocks with two goals at the end. Anyone knows with any of our countries' limited resources and the amount of frequent thunderstorms in the region that it´s impossible to keep a field in tip-top shape. If we played on the average field elsewhere in CA (if it can even be called that) with potholes and weeds growing in them, FIFA would have good reason to crack down on us.

Fields are being redone with synthetic turf all over America, so it shouldn't be much of a challenge, and the Costa Rican FA has cracked down on projectiles being thrown, so we´re back to the bare basics of may the best team win.

6. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

It's not so much as for cheering for the USMNT.

It's a new form of glory-hunting. You ever met plastic Italians, plastic English, etc? This are plastic-gringos: people from the mayan triangle who hide behind the flag of the USMNT so they can talk smack to others in CONCACAF.

You often see that when their teams are out of a tournament (Chapines) and when they are facing either Mexico or Costa Rica (Guanacos and Catrachos).

It's a great way to glory hunt, to be honest. You can claim you are from the mayan triangle but when sh¡t hits the fan you can always pull out that red, blue, and white just in case things get a little too hard. It's quite funny to be honest. :D

They claim they are American but I bet they probably can't even recite the Pledge of Allegience. :cool:

I hope as time goes by they keep hating us more and more :D

7. cheguevara04

cheguevara04 Member

Apr 19, 2005

I only root for the imperialist in soccer when it comes to playing Costa Rica and Mexico. I actually agree with you guys for MANY reasons as to why a true Central American should not root for the U.S. You guys are dead on accurate with some of the previous posts, most notably how it is beyond comprehension any of us root for the U.S. considering the horrors bought down on our countries by the CIA in the 70's and 80's. Excellent point.

Against you Ticos, the only reason I root for the NATS is because it is in the best interest of la H. I said it before, I will say it again, I think the third qualifying spot will come down to Honduras and Costa Rica. I hope the Mexies end up in fourth and we both qualify, but I just don't see that happening. Against the Mexies, I root for the Nats because I just love to see their reporters squirm after a big loss and go after their own team and directors like pihrannas. As much as I think Nery Castillo is a dou**e, it just sounds so much better coming from their own reporters:D While I really don't like your national team (nothing personal Ticos, I just don't like your national squad because our recent history on the field), I for one only root for the NATS SOLELY out of personal interest for my national team. While you guys may not agree with it, you have to see the point as to why some of us root for the imperialist when it is convenient.

8. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The sad thing is most americans can't recite the Pledge or the national anthem :(

9. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense

This was my whole point; when the three (Salvador/Guatemala/Honduras) were arguably better than the US in the 1980s, how many were USMNT fans? I even remember some of them booing the US in the 1990s. What really brought the USMNT a whole legion of new fans from mediocre Latin American/Asian countries seems to have been the infamous 2-0 result in Korea nine years ago (.i.e there´s a new king in CONCACAF so let´s jump on the bandwagon.)

I understand Hispanics born and raised in America supporting their birth country, or even immigrants grateful for being given a better life there, but much of it just seems to be we can´t be Mexico/Costa Rica but they can.

Entiendo. No estoy de acuerdo con todo, pero entiendo:)

PS this might be a good Central American NSR topic.

10. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Right, because the players on the field right now and the fans in the stands had anything to do with that stuff. Most of us weren't even born yet or were children. If you hate the US so much may I ask why you are currently residing here and posting on an English language board? If that's not hypocritical then I don't know what is.

Then again, I'm not surprised given your earlier comments about Costa Ricans being arrogant and fitting stereotypes, etc.

I think maybe I'll copy Morado's earlier post:

just one more question.... if you dislike the US so much, why are you here?

a) Work - You shouldn't hate the country that gives you $$ for food :rolleyes:
    b) Tourism - You like the country but dislike the people :confused:
    c) Family - Do you consider them traitors? Anyway, they're obviously using letter "a" above.

a, b or c?

11. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

As I have said...plastic Americans. They only root for the USA when they have nowhere else to hide. They are worst then glory hunters.

12. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This isn't fair, I'm not supposed to agree with you. I may have to take you off of ignore. I'm already viewing your posts anyway.

It's a world gone mad.

13. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica

Well, life isn't fair all the time. ;)

Looks like some things never change...but I like to remind you that others do. :cool:

14. cheguevara04

cheguevara04 Member

Apr 19, 2005

You dope's must have real s*** for brains or have zero reading comprehension. Better yet, those two are not mutually exclusive and you very well have both. I will go over this one more time for you stallwarts of ignorance.

I have zero love or support for the U.S. National Team and little love for your government. At least now, finally you gringos elected a President that seems to respect other countries and is not intent on imperialistic ideals. That is neither here nor there however. I live in in the U.S. a part of the year because of work. In the 21st Century, business is done across borders, in many languages, with a thurough understanding of many cultures. Last year, I actually spent more time in San Miguel, El Salvador then any other city. Under your logic I should now cheer for Salvadorians right freaks? Just because I write well, make gramatical sense, and have a thurough understanding of your language, does not mean I live in the U.S. ladies. You would be sadly mistaken. My full time residence is actually off the northern coast of Honduras, in the island of Roatan. You message board dummies make no sense nor have you any idea what your talking about. 'GEthomas3' thinks I am a plastic gringo because I root for the Nats against Costa Rica out of self interest for La 'H'. One last time 'Thomas', if it creates an advantage for Honduras, I would root for the devil himself. I could care less for the Nats as I could care less for the Ticos. When it comes to futbol, I care only for la 'H'. 'Silentounce' thinks that I should like the imperialist because I work a portion of my time in Florida and that I should ignore the travesties committed by his country to Central America when I was a kid. Just because you were not the victim of the U.S. s**t foreign policy, does not mean we should not forget the damage the U.S. has caused our countries. The U.S. is a great country to live in part time with very nice people and generally a respectful, dignified culture, that we could use more of in our Central American countries. That being said, I would not give two pennies for your National Team.

My ideal result for the Costa Rica v USA game would be

USA-5
    C.R - 0

In this game Altidore, Donovan, Dempsey, Hejduk and Howard all get red cards or injured. Either would be fine by me. That should tell you all you need to know about where my interest are, and that is solely with my own National Team.

15. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This would be the only way La H gets a result in the US.

Oh, U got sum issues against the US that might require professional help.

16. cheguevara04

cheguevara04 Member

Apr 19, 2005

Whatever it takes to win bud. I could care less.

Read this book 'flipstar', and then come talk to me.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Latin-America-Globalization-Noam-Chomsky/dp/1876175133"]Amazon.com: Latin America: From Colonization to Globalization: Noam Chomsky, Heinz Dieterich, Denise Glasbeek, Julian Sempill: Books[/ame]

Just because your ignorant to your countries woeful history of corrupt foreign policy towards us 'banana republics', don't accuse me of needing 'professional help'. There is a reason why anytime the Nats go to Central America, they are booed and verbally abused. It goes beyond the pitch. I personally don't feel that way for the record. What happened in the past is just that, in the past. Just don't be shocked though to see why most true Central and South Americans have hostile feelings towards the historically imperialist U.S. government.

Yes, I know this has nothing to do with the game, but the ignorance of some of you posters baffles me.

17. Wiso

Wiso Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Club León

can we really get back on topic here..

if you want to open a thread about all this.. go ahead.

CR vs US..

any news?

18. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

After this Im gettin back to the topic. If you really feel that the past is the past you wouldn't be bothering with this. People like you who like to combine politics and soccer is a disgrace to the sport. If you truely loved the sport you wouldn't let your political feelings come between the two. It's okay how u feel about this country, you wouldn't be the only one who feels that way.

19. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nothing brand new just Cherundolo will be out and Jozy will be fully recoverd from his operation on his toe nail by june.

20. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

lmao wth?? his Manicure is done?? :p

21. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

so your saying we don't have the talent or overall stability to beat you guys in chicago :confused: if so your sadly mistaken.

22. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not at all, I just think at home with our full squad we can't be beat. Honduras has a very good team don't get me wrong but you are playing in the U.S. against the U.S. Now If we lose all our best players then we got a game. Remember every concacaf team is a bad away team.

23. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

well if the crowd swings our way which will most likely happen...it will feel like a home game. the importance of home crowd advantage ;)

24. cheguevara04

cheguevara04 Member

Apr 19, 2005

After this post, I promise to stay out of this thread. I had every intention of doing so before reading this rediculous post above by flipstar.

This last post is is typical of an american supporter who has zero understanding of the sport. 'Flipstar508', Football and politics are married to one another. You have lived in your cushy american life, without any true world perspective on the sport. The two are LITERALLY married to one another! That is one of the sub plots that makes the sport so beautiful. Why do you think Germany and England are such rivals? Why do you think Croatia and Serbia are bitter enemies on the pitch? Do England and Argentina hate each other just because of bad blood on the pitch? Ever heard of the Faulklands there MENSA? Go to a game between Japan and S. Korea and the 'disgrace' you call the combination of soccer and politics, spews all over. Political feelings and football go together like peanut butter and jelly. If you think mixing the two is a 'disgrace' then you are following the wrong sport bud. In the city where I was born, La Ceiba, Honduras, the political right wingers were followers of Victoria while the liberals were supporters of CD Vida for the most part. This tradition of choosing which football team to support based on political party or even religion goes on almost everywhere in Europe and Latin America. The two in every way possible go together.

In Honduras we know we will never even reach the U.S' socks in economic or political power. We know that the world superpower can at any given moment cripple our 'banana republic' country in the snap of a finger as you have done to us economically and politically in the past and many of my brother Central American neighbors. We know that you guys have one hundred times the resources we could ever dream of. Here in Central Florida where I work a couple month's of the year, you guys have more playable, lushious green training grounds then we have in our entire country. Many of our citizens migrate to your country for the hope of living the so called 'american dream'. For one day though, one little day, on a green football pitch, we know we can beat you guys. For one day, we can be better then you. We can put that soccer ball in the net more then you over a 90 minute period and for that one day beat the U.S. We will never be able to compete with you guys politically, socially, in education, in almost any other sport or economically. That is just reality. For that one day though, on that pitch, we know we can beat you. We live for that. That is our NBA Final. That is our Super Bowl. That is our World Series. For one day to beat our giant neighbors to the north in the U.S. or Mexico is our championship and how legends are made and schools named after. The U.S. will always be superior to my beloved banana republic in everyway possible, except for that one day on the pitch. We will beat you in Chicago. Que viva La H. Hoy si papa.

25. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not when you're playing against a country that's use to not having a pro US crowd..... In the U.S.