Post Match Thread: DC United v Chicago 5/8

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by nick, May 8, 2008.

1. elprincipe

elprincipe Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough, but still you need to give it time. Gallardo has much more impressive accomplishments in his career, has played for bigger clubs and had more individual and team success than Blanco, that much is for sure.

2. sysco76

sysco76 Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Potomac Falls
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What you say is true, but since he's gone to PSG he hasn't done anything. I also thing Gallardo needs some time to adapt to the team and the league. Although his time is running out, how long does he have on his contract?

3. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been way too busy to keep up with the board, and have many things to say about the match, but this abbreviated version will have to do.

It's good to see from the Chicago match that we are on playoff form this early in the season. :rolleyes:

I have some concerns.

Only points will alleviate them.

Nuff said.

4. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I agree with this but at the same time Chicago was only integrating one new impact player when Blanco came in. DC is trying to integrate Gallardo with Peralta, Martinez, Wells, and Niell.

5. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Why would Gallardo need integration with Peralta, Martinez, and Wells?

Keep in mind that the Fire changed head coaches and added Blanco, Wanchope, and Conde. So there was plenty of unfamiliarity on our part at the time the Blanco took over.

6. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    they are also new

7. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah but it's not like you really need a #10 to have great chemistry with your center backs and keeper.

8. sysco76

sysco76 Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Potomac Falls
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For who, where and how long did you play? I guess it's not really a team its just a keeper - defense - midfield and strikers for you.

9. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Blanco's played 24 games with the Fire, losing 5. We've already lost 6 of 11 with Gallardo & Co. Granted Gallardo didn't play in one of those losses, and everyone is right in saying that Blanco walked into a team that was ready for him while we've overhauled our roster.

Thx,

Jay!

10. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Since Blanco has arrived we have played 21 games. We've lost 3 of them.

If you include playoffs, we've played 24 and lost 4.

11. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Say that again - out loud - and see if it makes any sense to you. It doesn't to me.

12. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Sorry, I included the Cruz Azul result in there.

And Gallardo hasn't played in 2 of DC's losses, not 1, but I doubt he could have stopped either of them the way Blanco has been a monster for Chicago.

I questioned in a game thread for Chicago why teams let him get away with everything. From the "diving", to the long balls played, to the strikes from distance. Evidently DC was no better, letting Blanco get in their heads and pass the ball around the pitch at will. It can't be a matter of skill, because many teams, Chicago in particular, are able to shut down Christian Gomez, who is sort of the same type of #10.

I think it would be just that easy to stick a Simms (or Carroll, B.) or Mastroeni or Joseph on Blanco and make the rest of the team play better. Evidently, I'm in the minority, or he's just that much better than the best D-mids MLS has to offer.

Thx,

Jay!

13. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Seriously.

Is this guy seriously trying to say that there is no difference for walking into an established team (especially a backline and and keeper that are used to one another) than to what Gallardo is going through? I wasn't even speaking about Gallardo connecting passes (although his backs are clearly very important in that regard for anyone who knows much about soccer) but to say having a structured and gelled team doesn't make a difference is absurd.

14. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What 'this guy' was trying to say was that the situations weren't that different. The Fire in the middle of 2007 were not structured and gelled. During that time:
    1) We changed head coach
    2) Added Blanco, Conde, and Wanchope
    3) Regained Rolfe after being injured for months
    4) Lost Mapp and Guerrero for the year

That's a heck of a lot more transition than merely changing 3 starters, especially a keeper and 2 center backs. To say that Blanco came into a better situation is factually inaccurate. The Fire before Blanco was in disarray at the bottom of the league. Despite that, he was able to produce from day one and turned the team around immediately.

Look, I'm not saying Gallardo is crap or anything. Far from it. It's just that they're different types of players. Gallardo is simply not the type to carry a team on his back like Blanco is. That's all.

15. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep backpedaling. :D

You're avoiding what they're asking you about. They're not disputing that part of your argument at all.

You said, "Why would Gallardo need integration with Peralta, Martinez, and Wells?" and, "Yeah but it's not like you really need a #10 to have great chemistry with your center backs and keeper." Not to mention what I bolded above.

Why don't you address those comments, because those are what we're having problems with?

16. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    yes but what he said is that "DC is trying to integrate Gallardo with Peralta, Martinez, Wells, and Niell" as a team, not that Gallardo is trying to integrate with a, b, c.