Post GC, Pre-Copa evaluation of our Nats players

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Marko72, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I'll try to do one of these again after the Copa (which is going to be mostly our U-23s and B teamers, what I suspect to be our not-quite-ready-but-a-few-might-make-cases-for-themselves-by-the-2009-hex-guys). But as the GC was definitely our current A team roster, I think right now is a good time to look at what we've got at the present in terms of players who played in the Gold Cup.

"Veterans" (including youngish guys who've been around the senior nats a while and/or have WC experience)

Tim Howard: Our #1 shirt-wearer for this cycle. No real question there. My feeling at this point in time is that he's a half-notch down from Keller/Friedel in their prime, and he might improve on that a little bit over the course of the cycle. He's clearly better than Keller right now.

Kasey Keller: See above. I think he found the right note to bow out gracefully on, and that's a semifinal win on his 100th cap in a tournament which we won.

Landon Donovan: Still our best field player, the most dangerous attacker we have, and I think the right wing, as a sort of almost defacto 433 style wing forward is the place for him. He's getting more space, and defenses are having a difficult time man-marking and double-teaming him out there, and Dempsey/Feilhaber are capable of playing the center of pitch, freeing him up to be used out wide. I don't think he quite has the nose for goal he used to, but we'll still see some goals from the run of play from him, and he creates a lot of danger and provides a lot of good quality service from out wide. I like him taking PKs, and I'm not wild about him taking set pieces. I'd prefer Feilhaber provide the service from the corners.

Demarcus Beasley: Speed and tenacity, the ability to create lots of danger on the counter, and, um, rather wacky touch, which he's always had, really. He's crossing and shooting from distance better, and he's got his confidence back and that's a nice thing to see.

Clint Dempsey: Next to Landon, our most skilled attacking player, slightly better in tight spaces (both a function of his particular style of close-in ball control skills and his larger, stronger frame, I think) and with a better nose for goal in the box. Pretty much what we already knew. He's also lacks Landon's speed burst and touch on the run (Landon's technical skill at full pace is the best on the team, IMO). Or to put it another way, Demspey doesn't need the space that Landon needs in order to be effective, but Landon's more effective than Clint when he has the space. Therefore, I think at this point Clint is the one who should be playing more centrally, and Landon wider, as I think it plays better to both of their strengths. I think we're better as a team when both of them are on the field as a result (with an in-form Beasley/Convey/Mapp on the left wing), and as understanding between them increases, the benefits will increase. Until we get a better quality striker, this grouping of three guys will be creating/scoring the majority of our goals over the foreseeable future.

Brian Ching: IMO he does what McBride did, albeit with less quality than McBride, particularly his finishing. I think right now he pretty much is what he's going to be over the course of the cycle, when he's not injured, that is (remember he's got a history of injury-proneness with his knee). For the moment (and hopefully only the moment) he's got to be considered our #1 striker by a small margin over... IMO Johnson, not Twellman.

Eddie Johnson: Very uncertain. Glad to see him score one finally. I can't say he's either proved or disproved either his supporters or his naysayers yet. Let's all keep a good eye on him.

Taylor Twellman: I guess he's on the team until we get ourselves some strikers (ie either some of our U20s prove themselves at the senior level or EJ takes it up a notch). He's no international level finisher, he can't turn defenders, and he doesn't knock down as many balls as Ching. What he does show is hustle and enthusiasm, and for the moment I won't knock him as a late game, lead-holding sub-on. A Cobi Jones WC 2002 role, if you will.

Steve Ralston: He's done.

Pablo Mastroeni: An ok player for leadership purposes as the team is rebuilding. I don't think he'll be necessary by 2010. Talent-wise, he's been eclipsed in the midfield by Feilhaber, Clark, and Bradley. I think he's still ahead of all the other guys in the player pool that we didn't see in the GC. In other words, my guess is he's still ahead of Beckerman and Klejstan and (definitely) Ben Olsen and Jesse Marsch.

Oguchi Onyewu: A monster against target forwards, his weaknesses against smaller, quicker, craftier technical types has been exposed. He started the tournament weakly and played incrementally better as the tournament went on, so perhaps he has just a bit more brains than we gave him credit for. I still feel that he is still developing slightly, but what I think we have and what we'll always have with him is just that, a great defender to shut down the monster target forward guys of any level (remember the job he did against Luca Toni and Jan Koller?... not to mention his total ownage of Jered Borghetti). We'd be better off with another center back when we're not facing one of those types. Also, I'm in agreement with most of you who say that Bocanegra and Onyewu as a back line pairing is not a particularly good match, each one is more of an athletic fireman and less of a stablizing presence, and needs someone more stable (ie Conrad, or possibly Demerit in the near future) to partner with.

Carlos Bocanegra: See comments above in Gooch's paragraph. He's more flexible and adjustable than Gooch, though, and less of a monster against the monster types. Most likely one of our top three center backs for the duration of the cycle.

Frankie Hejduk: Everybody inside the US program says that Frankie's a great guy to have around, and he's got the stamina and enthusiasm to run all day, and that's great. That said, I am in the camp of those who feel he's been surpassed by both Spector and Simek, although I know that some of you feel otherwise. Therefore, I'm of the opinion that he is now irrelevent. And in a way, thank God, because technically, he belongs to the 90s generation of US players, the Lalases and the Balboas.

The Young New Faces:

Benny Feilhaber: I don't mind admitting that I'm a fan, and I have been since I saw him in person against China a couple of weeks ago. Technically a very gifted player, really at a new level for us in the center of midfield in that department. He's got silky ball control even under pressure, he plays with his head up and sees the field well, and his accuracy and weight when he strikes the ball, both on the pass and on the shot are more reminiscent of a young Brazilian than an American. What he needs, and really needs badly is first team experience, and as much as he can get. I think this summer's tournament schedule is doing good things for him, and Bradley's doing a good job in getting him about as many minutes as he can take, but he either needs to break into the regular picture at Hamburg or needs a loan spell to get regular first team action this next European club season. His brain farts are just due to a lack of first team seasoning, I strongly feel, and that's all. His instincts are all go-go-go for the attack, and I like those instincts as instincts, but he needs to develop a bit more of the Reyna-like ability to learn how to control the game, when to speed it up and go for the incisive pass or run (as he instinctively wants to), when to switch the field, and when to hold it up. He'll get better at making those smarter easy passes and a better knack for how to stay involved as the game stagnates in midfield as he gets more first team playing time. That's all he needs at this point, I strongly feel. My prognosis? Blue chip material, a star in the making.

Michael Bradley: Where I feel Feilhaber's skills are already developed to a high level and he just needs first team seasoning, I feel Bradley still needs skill development (for which I think he has the native ability) as well as first team seasoning. At this point, I see his native strengths are his aggressiveness and work rate (this is a guy who WANTS that ball!), his physical athleticism, his well-coached positioning, and his passing ability. Where Feilhaber strikes the ball rather like a Brazilian, Bradley hits it like a better-quality European. Which is very impressive, if you ask me. His problems are his ball control skills, his first touch and his control under pressure, which causes him to have to look down at the ball a bit too much and not enough eyes up the field. When he's had time and space to see the field, he's delivered some delicious balls into dangerous positions. When he's been pressured, he's been mostly disposessed. Therefore, he needs more ball control training. He also needs to improve his mental reactions defensively. A lot of the time he's just about a half-step slow to react to the play, and though he's well-positioned, he finds himself having to lunge in on tackles where he could dispossess a guy standing up, or having balls bang off his shins and knees that he could be trapping, were he reading the game a bit quicker. Fortunately, this is stuff that can be hammered out in training and with game time, and he's in one of the best coaching environments you can have (ie with a Dutch Eredivisie side and his dad), and all this stuff is coachable. Yes, I agree that his native ability is as a two way mid, not as a pure deep-lying destroyer, but as somebody mentioned rather well a couple of weeks ago, a great team needs both creators and dawgs, and where Benny I think is a natural creator who needs a good dawg beside him, Bradley's a natural dawg. Not just one who sits back in front of defense and dispossesses people, I mean, he can pass, and he'll exploit that even better when he can play more with his head up and eyes forward, but his natural strength is as a dawg, probably a skilled and intelligent one eventually. A very promising mid-long term prospect, and probably a good eventual partner for Benny, either late in the current cycle or early in the next, I believe. Therefore my prognosis is not a star, but a very good key player (a big improvement over most of our more ball-winning, "D-mid-esque" types of the past, probably equalling or exceeding an in-form John O'Brien), perhaps as early as 2008, but probably more like 2009-11, I feel. Right at this moment he's 3rd or 4th on my personal central midfielder depth chart.

Ricardo Clark: I think one of the mistakes of the Arena Administration (which on the balance I think served us well, let's not forget that) is that he didn't identify and make better use of this kid. I think he could've helped us in 2006, and I think he can help us a lot right now. In my mind, he's at least level with Mastroeni right now, and possibly better, and still with some room to improve over the current cycle. I think by the end of this cycle, by 2010 he'll be a finished product, and will be considerably better than Mastro (with either Bradley surpassing him in the end, or backing him up at the WC), making him a key player to have either in the first XI or as a key sub in all important matches for which he's available. On my personal depth chart, I have him as the first-choice ball-winning center midfielder to partner to Feilhaber in the near future. He's a different style than Bradley, more of a chaser, less of a passer, very energetic and dynamic, with the ability to control the midfield. My prognosis on him is that his level of play eventually falls short of the best we've ever had of that sort of type (John O'Brien), but better than everyone else, better than all the Mastroenis and Armases and Olsens and everyone else (even going back to Thomas Dooley). Such is the improvement in our national pool that I think he eventually becomes second-best behind Bradley, who I think will equal or exceed O'Brien. Whether or not that happens before the Hex and the World Cup is anybody's guess, but I rather think that he'll deservedly hold the top spot for at least two years, and quite likely through the World Cup.

Justin Mapp: Fast, skilled, creative, offensively aggressive, he's got the stuff to change the complexion of the game, and has the added benefit of having some height in the box. Unfortunately he runs out of gas, and is rather lazy on defense. If we've got somebody solid defensively behind him (ie Spector) I don't think it's that bad, but I don't want to see him with Bornstein. My prognosis on him is a prime candidate for the supersub role in 2009/10, with Beasley, Convey or both holding down the starting role through this cycle. Some added unknowns like Nguyen could make it interesting as it goes on. This is another position of strength, clearly. (We've got almost an embarrassment of riches at some spots, ie LW, RB, central mid, GK, and yet we can't find a decent natural LB or a striker!)

Jonathan Bornstein: I'm up-and-down on this kid, as I think he's kind of an up-and-down sort of player. He's a natural left footer, got the speed, he's got the enthusiasm, he's not a midget, he tackles pretty well, he crosses fairly well, he likes getting involved in the attack, he's aggressive. His marking is so-so, he gets beaten too often 1v1, he gets caught out of position much too much, and he picks questionable times to go forward, and thus does not often enough make an offensive impact when going forward, not enough to outweigh the opportunities on the counter he gives up. Obviously, he's still developing as a converted fullback and therefore we'll withold judgement on just how good he will be in the long term. Right now I'm leary of seeing him out there unless he's got Beasley on the left wing. I'm fairly certain that with Mapp or Convey as the left winger in front of him, he'll get burned and punished with regularity. I am a little more interested in him than I am in the other LB's in the player pool (Heath Pearce, Todd Dunivant) but I have this sneaking suspicion that our best option at LB might be one of the guys we're currently using mostly as a RB, Jonathan Spector. Prognosis: Question Mark.

Jonathan Spector: Our most talented, skilled defensive player ever. Also one of the most enigmatic and frustrating. I've said before that Spector seems to want to do too much every time he's on the ball, and has been quite obviously coached in the English game not to, and as a result, instead of simplifying his game, he's gotten more indecisive, and that's hampering him. He's got skill on the ball, he strikes a very good long ball and cross, he's got more speed than meets the eye (though I rate him as marginally slow for a fullback, speedy for a center back), enough size, good agility. If he can learn to simplify his game (or else be as sophisticated as he wants to be... but that's a lot harder), then he'll be an excellent back, probably even better than Cherundolo (for one thing, while he lacks Cherundolo's speed, he's got better size in the back and arguably greater skills already, and still has plenty of upside to him). As it is, I see him as a key fullback for us, either on the right (behind Cherundolo for this cycle), or else on the left (where I suspect he'll be better and steadier defensively than Bornstein).

Frank Simek: This kid's solid. Not as dynamic as Spector can be, but solid, simple, and athletic, and solidity is something that's needed at the right back the way we're playing with Donovan way out front and with little defensive responsibility. He'll very ably back of Cherundolo, and it's very debatable as to which, Spector or Simek should be considered the first choice behind Stevie C. Personally, I'm of the opinion at this point that Spector should generally be the first choice on the left, and Simek should be the first to back up Cherundolo on the right, with Spector as an additional option, as long as Donovan is our right winger/wing forward. Late in the game he's really tended to command that right flank. It'll be interesting to see how he does against fresh legs from the opening whistle with the nats in the near future.

Jay Demerit: Need to see more of him in the near future, but from the glimpses that I've had of him in a nats uniform he's come on and solidified the back line, and that's a comforting thing to see. He paired well with Bocanegra. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Michael Parkhurst: Ok, I know a lot of you disagree, but my personal opinion is that he does not belong in the US picture as a center back. If we were to deploy a 3 back line in a 532/352 (a system which I do not espouse for our team), then yes, he could most likely be the sweeper of choice, but I just don't see him as an international center back. (I also have this sneaking suspicion that maybe, just maybe, he might be useful as a defensive midfielder should Bob be interested in talking him into attempting to convert, but I don't see any interest on Bob's part in such an experiment.) Apparently he IS on Bob's radar at the present, and he'll see more time in the Copa, and after that is said and done, we can revisit this, and we'll see if I'm right, or if the Parkhurst backers are right. I'll be shocked if he's ever a first choice central defender, though, honestly...

I'm not rating the current field a la Convey and Cherundolo and Conrad who were out with injury, and I'll withhold on the young guys who we'll be seing in the Copa until that's over.

Feel free to critique my assessments or add your own! :)

2. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    NOTE TO EVERYBODY

PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE HIS WHOLE POST, JUST THE PART YOU WILL RESPOND TO!!! It's so agonizing to have to scroll down through the whole post again just to read a 2 line response to a small part of the original post.

Now that I got that out before anyone does it...to respond to your post, nice dissection of our GC players. Most I agree, some I do not agree with, but it's just nitpicky stuff. Well done and I look forward to your analysis of the CA players.

I still think Hedjuk has it, but I know I'm in the minority :)

3. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yeah, my post does kinda take the dubious distinction of Most Longwinded Post Ever but I don't know how the hell else to have my say when we've got a young talented team that I want to have my say on. Thanks for reading!

:)

And, hey, if you've got nitpicks, and wanna make a case for Hejduk, I'm all ears! That's why I started this thread...

4. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    The discussion of Mapp and Bornstein is very interesting. I'm glad those two are going to Copa and am hoping they will be thrown together on the left side for a couple of matches. I agree that they may get overrun because of their defensive weaknesses. It would be better to find out now than in qualifying or in the WC. Beasley does help everyone look better defensively on his side of the field when he is in there. I think we gain something offensively when Mapp is in for Beasley. But do we lose too much on defense? Stay tuned.

This is not entirely a question of just those two guys. I think to some extent their defensive liabilities can be offset by having a central mid like Clark who can range all over the field. So you have to look at it in the context of the entire team being put out there.

5. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    Honestly, this is one of the best evaluations (or most similar to my own, lol) I've seen on BS.

I still like Hedjuk though, just because his unbelievable speed. His crosses leave a lot to be desiered but his ability to get into the attack is unparalleled. My next choice for RB is Simek, he's been one of the top performers in the Championship and will be in the EPL this season or next.

I differ a bit on Spector. I love his versatility, but I think he's a CB/FB tweener that may always be nothing but a first defensive sub, for club and country. IMO our biggest whole, as a team, is LB. Bornstein had better learn how to ********ing mark because he was our biggest liability throughout the tournament. I'm hoping Pearce gets a lot of opportunities at Copa, as were playing teams loaded with talent on the right. Christ I'm not looking forward to Columbia's Chitiva let alone whoever Argentina decides to terrorize us with on the right.

Were stocked at Mid. Isn't it funny to hear that? We actually are arguing about who our starters should be, and I think most agree our WC starter, Mastro, is no longer a viable candidate. I love a Rico or Bradley playing a more defensive role behind Feilhaber, who like you said, need only more playing time (although I'd prefer top flight Holland or France to B2).

LM is a battle, and an intense one. I love DMB, love Convey, but if Mapp can get his damn head in the game he has the most comprehensive offensive skillset. DMB is a great player but Mapp's technical ability and touch are far superior. DMB is a far better defender with a much better workrate and better speed. Still, DMB will start 2010 barring injury, I think Glasgow is the perfect spot for him (European comps, and a pressured environment but a little more time on the ball).

I love RM with Donovan and Dempsey switching up throughout the game, it's been on of my favorite BB moves, the constant adjustments to free them both up depending on the opponent. Mexico was trying to lock Dempsey's techinical ability on the wing, moving Donovan there had a lot to do with our ability to open up the pitch.

6. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I'll post my thoughts on Hedjuk when I get back from my game. I have to pull my own Tim Howard tonight!

7. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a midfield of Bradley--Feilhaber--Clark will start in 2010. And they should start together AFTER the Copa in the next friendly, if Benny & MB are available.

We need another functional target forward. I haven't lost confidence in EJ yet, Dempsey needs to see regular First Team action for Fulham otherwise he'll be useless by 2009

8. S.J. Jim

S.J. Jim Member+

Jun 11, 2006
    S.J.
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with most of this... just thought I'd add a few comments.

I kind of wish you had elaborated a bit more on EJ's pros and cons, as I think you have good knowledge and an ability to express yourself. For me, it seems that in EJ we're still forced to talk of him in terms of "potential". I think most would agree he has that, but it's frustrating that he doesn't quite seem to really be taking the necessary steps to reach it in a NAT's uniform. My biggest worry is that he will fail to improve his ability to play smart- to read the game better, see more of the field, time his runs, know when to pass and when to hold, give better service to teammates, etc. Physically, he has the tools, but I think the intuitive "feel for the game" is where he may ultimately come up short. I've been one to support him in the past, but my faith has faded a bit after watching him in the Gold Cup.

Twellman, for me, is as you say a serviceable sub... an "energy" guy. I like his effort, I just haven't seen enough ability (generally speaking) to link up with others and create dangerous opportunities for himself or others. As a poacher type, I've always admired his doggedness and ability to be in the right place at the right time. However, at the international level, it's much more difficult for him to reap benefits from his strengths and his style of play.

Finally, I think Ching does a number of things well, but the main thing that really sets Ching apart from these other two forwards is his passing ability. It's not just the execution of the pass, but the vision, the anticipation, and the timing. His special chemistry with Donovan has been widely acknowledged, and remains an important weapon for us, but really any player who works away from the ball and makes eye contact with Ching when he's possessing it can benefit from his vision and ability to serve the ball. I also like him as a scoring threat when he's in the box. His finishing could stand to improve, but that's really true for all of our attacking players. Hopefully Brian can stay healthy, because I think we're a lot more potent when he's on the field.

9. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    but Hejduk never does anything productive with the ball when he gets upfield. Plus he'll be 35 by the World Cup. That's a big bet to take.

10. S.J. Jim

S.J. Jim Member+

Jun 11, 2006
    S.J.
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An exaggeration, I think. After his rough start in that department in the Gold Cup, and after the widespread criticisms that immediately followed, I thought he gradually improved. I remember several decent crosses in later matches, some where he switched the ball to his left foot. Also, he scored a goal four days ago, which I'd say is productive. :)

I know your "never" wasn't meant literally, but it still stikes me as a bit unfair. Anyway, I know he's got issues, and I'm not saying he is necessarily always going to be among our best options in the games and years ahead, and if he's completely out of the picture come '09 and '10, so be it. But as it stands right now, I think he's playing reasonably well.

11. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    He's got an infectious upbeat enthusiasm, and I was disappointed that he was injured for the '06 WC because of it (we really could've used that enthusiasm). When he retires, I'd love to see him stick around the national program as maybe a fitness coach. It'd be good to have him around camp, and what better guy could you ask for to run and train our kids? Don'tcha think?

12. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is cool. That we have so many quality players that there is room for a legit discussion on who should play.

My 2 cents. DMB is the energizer bunny. The problem is he isn't a consistent crosser and his gaff in front of the goal is another bad indicator. I would like to see Rico out left, with MB in the middle besides Benny.

A second option could be Convey on the left with Rico in the middle instead of MB.

Clint is in an unfortunate situation. His best postion is outside right, which now seemd to be where LD is going to end up. He seems to get lost when he is pushed upfront in the middle.

The last part of this is that there are three years to go and there are a few impressive players on the U20's who could be pushing these guys soon.

13. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    I would disagree that his best position is outside right. Sure he's had a few good games there, but to me he's definitely been more consistent in the middle and even at times up top than on the right on a club level, if not on an international level where he hasn't seen much time in the center.

14. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    That's because at club level he gets just as much time on the ball in the center or up top as he does wide right. National teams are better at closing down space in the center and denying service to the forwards, but allow teams more room to work on the wings. His best position for LA may be in the middle, but for the nats, he'll be best on the right, especially when we're playing high quality opposition that closes down the center with authority.

15. slarockk

slarockk New Member

Feb 19, 2001
    Southern California
    very nice analysis...lots of talent and depth which is good in the case of injuries

I was very impressed with Clark, Bradley, and Benny as its seems the first time I remember our DMids being able to pass like that and with speed.

As mentioned we need to find a striker....I wish we could get someone who is a goal poacher...puts themselves in good positions to clean up and find the net consistently....maybe Herculez might do this in CA....any other forwards can anyone think of who have this knack for being in the right spot and getting goals from all areas of the box (similar to Carlos Ruiz...I'd say he is the epitome of a goal poacher)

Hopefully Jose Altidore can learn some of the things that Angel brings to being a striker from the NYRB. I think with the right experience and consistency he might be that player. Eddie Johnson has the athleticism just needs the killer instinct and put himself in good positions....love how Clint has that fearless attitude going to goal...doesn't matter who the opponent is he is willing to go full throttle and take chances to get to goal....very impressed with Ching Sunday...he and Donovan have a great relationship and work really well together

I dont think Keller will still be there for 2010...he seemed a step slow in the GC...and he still doesn't have a club....I think Brad Guzan might be the keeper for 2014...Maybe Marcus Haneman will still be in the mix for 2010.

16. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree but isn't he on the Copa roster? It's time for him to go...

LOL this pretty much sums it up. He sucks, in other words.

That's scary. Let's see how Charlie Daniels or whatever his name is does at the Copa. And expect to see Jozy for the European tour this fall.

I agree. Get him out of there and don't let him return, ever. Please.

17. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We just won a cup. I realize you have to take the bad with the good, but damn can't we see a little sunshine?

18. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buy / upped their stock:
    Landon Donovan
    Benny Fielhaber
    Tim Howard
    DaMarcus Beasley
    Ricardo Clark
    Michael Bradley
    Brian Ching
    Carlos Bocanegra
    Frank Simek
    Jon Spector
    Michael Parkhurst
    Clint Dempsey

Hold for further eval:
    Jay Demerit
    Justin Mapp
    Oguchi Onyewu
    Jonathan Bornstein
    Pablo Mastroeni (only hold through qualifiers)
    Brad Guzan
    Taylor Twellman
    Eddie Johnson

Sell now, plane's going down:
    Frankie Hejduk
    Kasey Keller
    Steve Ralston

I know, I know, I don't sufficiently appreciate Frankie's many talents & intangibles. Darn right, I don't. And not a big knock on Keller, who has served faithfully & well, but we need to move on.

19. rashaverak

rashaverak Member

Mar 30, 2007
    South Portland, ME
    Fantastic, well-balanced analysis...

if our goal for 2010 is the round of 16, can we infer from your post that players in bold below meet / should meet 'the standard', i.e., are 'good enough' to hold their own against all but perhaps the top 10-12 teams?

GK - Howard more than good enough - no need to look further

Back Line - Simek (very underrated) and Bocanegra are solid and won't hurt us. We need 2 additional backs from Spector, Gooch, Demerit, Conrad, Bornstein (I love how the Univision announcer pronounces his name), Parkhurst, Wynne etc to step up to give us a solid backfield. I agree w you that there's too many question marks on the outside if Simek's not one of them.

MF - Donovan and Beasley in current form, plus Dempsey, Feilhaber, and Clark make a competitive midfield pool. The development of others (MBradley, Mapp, Adu, Convey) is a bonus.

Striker - No one meets the standard (unless you move Dempsey up front, an experiment I would like to see more of) from the flawed group of Twellman, Johnson, Ching or others. Altidore is not a sure thing by any means.

I count 8 players from your analysis who have 'made the grade' - > are 'highly competitive' ('world class' is not the right term, it implies they are the best in the world at their position). Is this right?

So we're 2 strikers and 2 outside backs away, I think, from being 'solid' at every position of an XI....

20. Ed-D

Ed-D Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 13, 2005
    NY
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sorry just being critical. I think Bradley deserves a lot of credit for pulling the team together. His substitutions in the second half were stellar. Benny's goal was one for the ages. There were several bright spots with some of the younger players. Now can I go back to being negative please?

OK, thanks. We're definitely tops in our region, but we already knew that. Landon Donovan and Beasley, whom I thought in 2002 would propel this team to the next level, show no real sign of progressing. Our strikers are pretty pathetic. Our defense prone to horrific mistakes. These larger issues concern me for the long-term. When does the Copa start?

21. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Um......

Steve Cherundolo

22. rashaverak

rashaverak Member

Mar 30, 2007
    South Portland, ME
    Oops. Thanks. :D

Does that mean we have 3/4s of a solid back line?

Gooch makes me nervous still ...

23. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice analysis and thread.

I agree with what the first poster wrote, in fact he educated me about the young guys coming through.

Clint - he is not playing a smart game, kind of a Diouf game where he holds the ball without Diouf's deliveries. I thnk as a defender he would be easy to figure out, and he does not have a lot of speed. I hope he improves, but his display in the final was not great IMO.

Twellman - one thinh I admire about TT is his amazing touch on the ball, the way he holds on to the ball and the way he can deliver it to others. He definitely has a role to play in any MNT and he hustles his ass off to boot. He is a pair of safe feeteven if he is not quite the scoring threat others are. He is the perfect forward to sub in later in the game.

24. sccrhound

sccrhound Member

Oct 8, 2002
    CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In spite of the number LD isn't a no 10. Benny is. LD will get the service and the space he needs being outside.

25. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    The take on the older guys seems pretty reasonable. Frankie can still be serviceable against certain competition for a BIT longer and I agree that Ching has some game which many don't give him credit for.

It's the younger guys who's evaluation I'd differ a bit on. In general you're giving Benny too much credit and Bradley not quite enough. They're two distinct players and, in the best of worlds, will develop complementary skills in the next years. I do wish Benny had a little more size. A holding mid with size and strength a la Seedorf or others can be an impact player. His small stature will be a limiting factor against top teams. His career should eventually take him to a "latin" style league perhaps Spain or Italy would suit him better. Blue chip - not quite but a very decent pro.

I'm not as high on Spector as yourself. It's tough not to see him as the "tweener" many have talked about. What's the best way to use his solid skill set? That will be the $24,000 in the next years. I don't view him as an indispensable player to have on the pitch.