Post Game vs. Beat [r]

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Soccersuzie, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Soccersuzie

Soccersuzie New Member

Jun 17, 2001
    Orange County
    :mad:

we had our chances... we had our glimmers....

but dammit, so did the other team.

ughhhhhhhhhhh.

fleeting's ping off the bar just made me wanna strangle something. the spirit keep on havig flashes of what the could have been, but the defensive mistakes...

i was helping out for dinner and i turne the volume up really loud. from the crowd sound, it sounded like the spirit ws up6-0, but no, atlanta up 2-1. all i can say is, really good crowd support dispite the score.

2. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
  3. shortee

shortee Member

Jun 7, 2002
    East Bay
  4. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beat 4, Spirit 1
    Spirit Hits Road for Two-Game Trip at Philadelphia on Aug. 3 and Atlanta on Aug. 7
    SPIRIT FALLS TO BEAT, 4-1, IN FRONT OF RECORD CROWD AT TORERO; FLEETING SCORES AGAIN FOR SPIRIT; THIRD GOAL IN FOUR STARTS FOR SCOT

SAN DIEGO (Wednesday, July 31, 2002) - The San Diego Spirit played a match that was not reflective of the final score, out-shooting the Atlanta Beat 15-14, but finding the net just once in a 4-1 loss. The game was played on a sparkling night at Torero Stadium as a team-record 6,392 fans turned out on the Spirit's first and only Wednesday night game of the year.
    "It is frustrating, the players take it personally, and they really take it to heart," said Spirit interim head coach Kevin Crow on the loss in front of the big crowd. "It is not because they are not trying or playing unattractive soccer, they play good soccer and leave everything out on the field and I think the fans appreciate that."
    The Spirit fell to 4-10-4 (16 pts.) while the Beat moved to 10-7-1 (31 points) and just a little bit closer to a berth in the playoffs. With the loss, the Spirit was eliminated from playoff contention with three matches left in the season.
    "We just could not get the ball in the back of the net and we did not finish our chances," said forward Shannon MacMillan, summing up the game and the Spirit's season. "Atlanta looked great, they are known as a physical team, but they came out played good passing soccer. They played great
    tonight."
    The Spirit actually scored first in the match before giving up four straight goals and created numerous scoring opportunities throughout the
    game, only to have the final pass and the finishing touch fail them repeatedly.
    San Diego tallied in the 18th minute through Scottish international Julie Fleeting, who scored her third goal in her fourth start. Julie Foudy
    chipped a pass at the Beat restraining line to Jenny Mascaro, who was making a run across the top of the penalty area. Mascaro flicked the ball, freezing
    the Beat defender, and it rolled right to Fleeting, who stuck her shot just inside the left corner past the diving Briana Scurry.
    The Beat pulled even in the 25th minute as Sun Wen penetrated up the middle on the dribble. Rhiannon Tanaka was right on her hip to block the
    shot, but the ball rebounded behind Tanaka and Sun gobbled up the fortunate bounce, drove to goal and rolled her shot past Spirit goalkeeper Carly Smolak and into the left corner.
    In the 28th minute, Lori Lindsey had a go from 40 yards out that had Scurry scrambling, but it flew over the crossbar. The Beat then took the
    lead in the 34th minute as Lisa Kryskowski played a pass behind the Spirit defense. Charmaine Hooper dummied the ball, freezing Joy Fawcett momentarily
    as the ball skipped past Spirit back line to Sawa, who dribbled at goal and easily rolled her shot past Smolak and into the left corner from 14 yards out.
    After playing a solid first half, the Spirit went into the break just a goal down, but the Beat scored 25 seconds into the second half to put San
    Diego into a deep hole. Sawa collected long ball in the left side of the penalty area, dribbled inside and then rolled it back to Hooper with her heel. Hooper then beat a defender and knocked the ball into the right corner past the stranded Smolak.
    Briana Scurry played an excellent match in the Beat goal and made a big save in the 57th minute, turning away a point-blank volley from Joy Fawcett. From there, the Spirit ran at the Beat goal and kept Scurry busy, but couldn't find a way past her. In the 60th minute, Lori Lindsey looped a header just over the crossbar. In the 63rd minute, Sherrill Kester motored around the outside of the Beat defense on the right side and spun a great cross into the middle, but Mascaro just got her toe on ball and slid it wide left of goal. In the 68th minute, Mascaro puts Kester behind the defense, but Scurry came off her line to snag Kester's soft shot.
    Despite the Spirit chances, it was the Beat that got another goal as in the 72nd minute, Julie Augustyniak beat Tanaka down left flank and hit a hard cross that bounced off Anna Kraus' chest and right to Sawa, who struck a nice volley into the left corner from eight yards out.
    In the final five minutes, the Spirit had several chances, including a header by Fleeting in the 85th minute that flew just wide right and a shot by
    Fleeting that hit the crossbar in the 89th minute.
    The Spirit leaves tomorrow for its final road trip of the season and its first two-game road swing of the season. San Diego plays at the Philadelphia Charge on Saturday, Aug. 3, before traveling to Atlanta to face the Beat again on Wednesday, Aug. 7. The Spirit returns home for its season finale against the Carolina Courage on Aug. 11. Kickoff for that match is 5 p.m.
    "That is what being a pro is all about," said Crow of his team's last three games. "We have good veteran leadership on this team and the players
    will play with pride and character. This team is really resilient, both mentally and physically."

Atlanta Beat 4, San Diego Spirit 1
    Torero Stadium - San Diego, Calif.
    July 31, 2002 - 7 p.m. PT Kickoff

1 2 F
    Atlanta Beat 2 2 4
    San Diego Spirit 1 0 1

Scoring Summary:
    SD - Julie Fleeting 3 (Mascaro 4, Foudy 4). 18.
    ATL - Sun Wen 4 (Unassisted) 25.
    ATL - Homare Sawa 6 (Krzykowski 2) 34.
    ATL - Charmaine Hooper 10 (Sawa 6, Parlow 3)46.
    ATL - Homare Sawa 7 (Unassisted) 72.

SPIRIT - Carly Smolak, Rhiannon Tanaka (Kim Pickup, 73), Joy Fawcett, Anna Kraus, Amy Sauer, Jenny Mascaro, Julie Foudy - C, Lori Lindsey (Shannon Boxx, 77), Sherrill Kester, Julie Fleeting, Shannon MacMillan.
    TOTAL SHOTS: 15 (Fleeting 4, Foudy 2, MacMillan 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 7 (Fleeting 2, MacMillan 2); FOULS: 12 (Tanaka 3); OFFSIDE: 2; CORNER KICKS: 4; SAVES: (Smolak 2); CATCH/PUNCHES: (Smolak 1); CAUTIONS: (Tanaka, 71).
    Ejections: None.

BEAT - Briana Scurry, Lisa Krzykowski, Sharolta Nonen, Julie Augustyniak, Nancy Augustyniak, Marci Miller, Nikki Serlenga, Homare Sawa (Liping Wang,
    78), Sun Wen (Kelly Cagle, 70), Charmaine Hooper (Amanda Cromwell, 87), Cindy Parlow (Emily Burt, 67).
    TOTAL SHOTS: 14 (Sun 3, Sawa 3, Hooper 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 6 (Sun 2, Sawa 2); FOULS: 13 (Hooper 3); OFFSIDE: 3; CORNER KICKS: 3; SAVES: (Scurry 6); CATCH/PUNCHES: (Scurry 3); CAUTIONS: None. EJECTIONS: None.

Referee: Mark Arblaster; Referee's Assistants: Kia Dehpaneh, Bryan Elliot; 4th: Sandra Belmont.
    Attendance: 6,392 (team record). Weather: Cool, breezy, outstanding - 71
    degrees.

5. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. tritonspirit

tritonspirit New Member

The Torero Experience

Even though the result was very disappointing for Spirit fans, the crowd last night at Torero was awesome. Thanks to Tsunami I had an excellent midfield seat in the Spirit player's "friends & family section" two rows directly behind Joy Fawcett's family. :)

Fortunately I was spared the frustration of having to see Atlanta's first goal when San D. Panda & Company decided to pelt section 102 with t-shirts. ;) Right after I managed to snag one of the very nice "Inagural Season" t-shirts, Tsunami then broke the bad news to me that Atlanta had just scored.

No matter what the result is, watching WUSA action at Torero has always a great experience for me. Hopefully next season the Spirit will be as successful on the field as they have been able to be off the field these first two years.

7. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. tritonspirit

tritonspirit New Member

Check Your Facts Terry!

Without even doing much checking I know for a fact that this statement by reporter Terry Monahan is factually incorrect. The Charge lost last night at Spartan Stadium and since the Spirit will be playing next in Philadelphia, I don't really see what the point is that Monahan is attempting to make. :rolleyes:

9. Soccersuzie

Soccersuzie New Member

Jun 17, 2001
    Orange County
    Re: The Torero Experience

Yes the crowd was AWESOME, hence my point of thinking the spirit was up 6-0. ive never seen the daddy fawcett, but i scared the katey last time i was at torero. ::sigh::

aww, you caught a shirt? darn it... the big jumping blockade in front of me snagged any that came my way.

10. lab99

lab99 New Member

May 10, 2001
    Orange County, CA