Post game report: Metros vs Crew [R]

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by ElMetrofan, Sep 20, 2003.

1. ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan New Member

Jan 20, 1999
    SHAPE, Belgium
    Holy dam... Just as I minimized yahoo, Woly scores. OMG! What a goal! Free kick by Guevera like 5 yard behind the half line and woly volleys in for a one of the goals of the year. Much better game overall by the Metros from last week. Defensively I like what addo had with Jolley and Pope in the back with Digi free as a winger, the offensie will come once Juskowiak(?) integrates.

2. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was watching the game here in Tampa on MSG (via MLS Shootout!) and let me say that Woly's Goal has to be a candidate for MLS Goal of the Year!!!

What did you guys think about Juskowiak on his debut with the Metros? I thought he had some good touches coming off the bench, but still needs some work.

3. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    that was awesome. great goal, and the best part was the suprise, it got me suprised, i was frekin' amazed by the goal.

4. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    The game is on again on FSW for those of you who missed it.

5. That was a brilliant goal! And scored with only 25 ticks left in overtime. Over 100 minutes of standing, shouting, frustration and anticipation rewarded by a great moment to go home to. They even had Guinness on tap inside the stadium. Hell, tonight was one of those nights that makes you want to come back again.

6. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    We've got pints of Guinness in our trousers..

7. ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan New Member

Jan 20, 1999
    SHAPE, Belgium
    Hey look closely at the pic at metrofanatic.com. John Bush looks like he saw a ghost.

8. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Just got home. Thank heavens for MSG. FSW completely spoiled it all.

9. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love how Woli looks like he cant even frigging believe it.

He gets excited cuz he scores the goal then hes like "HOLY *#*#*#*# I CANT BELIEVE THAT JUST HAPPENED" and freaks out.

10. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA - DC result below.....

OK, so LA beat the Scum 1-0 in OT. This, combined with the Revs' draw on Thursday, makes the playoffs magic number six. (How? Six more points gets us to 43, which is 13 more than NE who have five to play. But since the Revs still play C-Bus, a max of 15 points to the Revs puts the Crew's max at 43 and we win the series tiebreaker.)

11. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Only assumes DC will unconditionally make the playoffs, and that they and Metros won't be the bottom two assuming some horrifying and cataclysmic turn of events.

12. Metros Striker10

Metros Striker10 New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    Planet Earth
    Great game by the Metros. Though they should have won the game like 10-0.

Mathis looked like the Mathis of old. I think he's finally gotten his form back. He was taking shots from all over the place, whether it be free-kicks, headers, long distance shots and most importantly he was trying to dribble past the defenders. The two most notable examples was when he was fouled just outside the box, and towards the end of regulation when he was at the corner with two defenders on him.

The defense was a rock. Pope, Addo and Jolley shut down the Crew offense and Digi added some flank work from the left.

Guevara. WOW. Definately made himself and Mathis look like MLS MVPs. I think all of his passes were accurate. He also did a lot of sprinting which almost got him a goal. Lisi played very well throughout the match. Richie did his job. Was possibly lucky for not getting red carded. Clark added some great flank work. He did well connecting the defense to the offense.

Walker was the usual. Stopped every possible shot.

Magee and Jusko were hard to grade. Magee had that one header and that was pretty much it. Jusko had some nice touches, including that backheal pass after he came in.

13. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Impossible since they've gone back to the intra-conference playoffs this season. Right now we'd get DC in round one, with C-Bus and Chicago the other conference semi.

14. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Hard to tell what to make of Jusko, he looked big, slow and old at times, a scary prospect for someone coming to MLS where the game is theoretically slower paced than the top European leagues. A couple of nice touches, but definately a jet lag performance. Hopefully he will get his legs and improve. I won't say he was bad, but he looked underwhelming, though maybe my expectations were a bit high.

Mathis looked motivated, but he is still hitting shots just wide, whereas he usually gets those shots on net. His hustle was back though (largely) and that's good to see. He is, however, still yelling at everyone for not being psychic. He made a pass to Clark in the second half that was just too square for where Clark was running and it was easily picked off. He then yelled at Clark for not cutting his run diagonally to be where the bad pass was. How Clark is supposed to know Mathis is going to misfire I can't tell, but anyway.

Kudos to the Wolyniec kids in the mezzanine. He was genuinely bashfull running into the tunnel at the end of the first half, and his rocket finish to win the game was a great way to payback the fans that turned up for him.

Overall, it was a good finish, but I won't say it was a good game. It was another 1-0 win, and we have won too many games squeaking out a 1 goal victory. The fans had to sit through 90+ minutes of attacking soccer with no finishing. We looked 10x better than we did last week, but still not able to convert, and frankly Columbus had as many chances to take the game in regulation as we did. Before this season is out, I'd really like one 3-0 victory just to know that it is technically possible.

And hey, when was the last time Bradley wore Khaki's on the sidelines? Shocker. I liked the lineup that he put out there to start, with the exception of Digi:

Mathis- Magee
    Lisi- Guevara
    Digi-Williams
    Jolley- Addo- Pope- Clark

If you could swap Edgar for Digi, it would be a very good lineup.

Thanks to all of the newbies that showed up, and all of the tailgaters who turned out- with parents- to the lot and the section.

All credit goes to the Metro's Tore Andre Flo for the second place goal of the year (and shot of the year). I still give goal of the year to Eddie Gaven, for the OT netter in DC on July 5th.

Best part about the Woly goal, was that Busch from the Crew stood in the endzone and watched it on replay, twice. FYI, the Guevara freekick was from the Metro 48 yardline, which is actually ~60 yards from net as the endzone is just in front of the six yard box. Got to be the assist of the year.

And, I got to see Shep Messing driving his car for the second game in a row, this time through the Lincoln Tunnel. Tempted to fake crashing in to him, but I didn't.

15. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    What a finish by Wolyniec. I couldn't believe it when he got a hold of it. That is definetly MLS Goal of the Year.

The boys looked much better, a great performence all the way around. I thought you know I'll take the point because the Crew have always played us tough at the swamp. But that long pass by Guevara to Woly and WHAM WHAT A GOAL!

I still can't get that goal out of my head. What a strike.

So where are all the anti Wolyniec fans? Where are you all? Woly comes up big again. Right place at the right time.

Richie looks refreshed and I have a good feeling the boys are all gonna now lead the charge and start a big drive.

Chicago Fire also lost to the Dallas Burn 2-0. So with Chicago not playing till October 1st. And Metro sweep DC in MLS play. We are tied with the Fire for top dog in the East.

TAKE OUT THE DC SCUM!

16. Metrohooligan101

Metrohooligan101 New Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Orlando Fl
    wow what a goal again by wolyneic hes really coming through for us, this guys no fluke, hes for real. im glad i got this yahoo thing on my computer since im in my college dorm here in florida and can't get the dish. when metros scored, all my suitemates were like damn what the hell happened? i think my whole building heard me. can't wait for the dc game on thursday too bad its at 1am i feel bad for my roommate. since he got class at 7am the next day oh well a metro-dc game is a metro-dc game can't miss that....

but one more thing i kinda agree with the fact that metros are always winning by just one goal, lets see a win with more than a 2 goal margin to really feel at ease.

17. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Ronaldo, Henry, Raul, and Ruud ought to take notes from Wolyniec.

18. KareemSoda

KareemSoda Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Not in NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anyone else noticed this; when Guevara takes a shot on goal, if it is on the ground it sort of just dribbles slowly toward goal for an easy stop. If he tries to put some force behind it, the ball ends up 20 rows into the seats. Take notice over the next few games.

19. Horizon

Horizon New Member

Nov 20, 2000
    New York City
    I think Eddie Gaven looked like a superstar in the making. He truly impressed me with his runs, dribbles, and accurate offensive passes. We need to give him more time off the bench.

20. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    This better be a put-on.

And I checked my tape to hear exactly what Shep said about the goal on the TV broadcast. He's right, Woly wouldn't be able to do that in a hundred more tries. Having said that, it was incredible. We need more great stuff like that.

Maybe the Giants should consider signing Guevara for kickoffs.

21. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    I agree, with Clint being out of contract next season, I say let him go and not even attempt to resign him. He is obviously not going to get any better and has even gotten worse than what his "best" was. He still a good player tho, but with Magee and Gaven its time to think about these two kids for the future and let them play. Their time has come and leaving Mathis in will only suck money out of our pocket plus keep these kids from getting better.

With the Mathis money we can get a GOOD offensive midfielder, just having 1 good offensive player there in Guevara is not enough and thats why you see him having trouble creating chances. He needs a partner in the mid just like Forwards do. Lisi is an average player and Rico + Ritchie are defensive players. If we can keep the defense in tact and also walker and just add a good midfielder with the mathis money there really wont be a better team in MLS.

Is Moreno still signed for next year? If not, thats another 250K on top of the Mathis money. Or id DC still paying his salary? Im not even sure. And with the growth of Rico we can even afford to let Ritchie go. Thats more money to the pot.

All of this plus Im sure Bradley can get some young dudes from next years draft.

22. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    The line-up was actually a 3-5-2

Mathis - Magee
    Lisi - Guevara
    Clark
    DiGiamarino
    Williams
    Jolley - Addo - Pope

The plan was probably for DiGi to get forward more, but he played pretty conservatively until late. The middle of a three-man back seems perfect for Addo, and frees up Pope and/or Jolley to get aggressive into the offense a little more often.

23. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At think this sequece in the opening minutes got him rolling-not that it takes much-he really never shuts up does he?

http://www.geocities.com/castmind/mathiscrew.html

I think Bob need to put his arm around him and whisper, "ya know Clint, Cruyff could yell at his mates like you do...well...'cause he was Cruyff."

24. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does not seem to me that Clint is motivating his teamates but rather is frustrated they are not on same page.