Post-match: Post Game Over-analysis

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Brian71, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Brian71

Brian71 Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    2-1 MEX is about what I expected. When you think about it, yes there were some terrible calls, and we have to put up with the general bullshit antics from the Mexican side. However, what lost it for us today were the tactics employed by Bob Bradley.

If this is how he intends to play - route 1, over the top and pray for something positive - then he simply is not "the guy" to carry US Soccer forward. We strung about three passes together the entire game, allowed ourselves to be ushered into the side of the field, forcing us to make bad passes and generally bad decisions.

Great goal by Davies, a couple of nice saves from Timmy, but those are about the only positives we can take from this match. That and it wasn't a "must win" situation.

2. Hobeyho

Hobeyho Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We looked terrible today. Only Davies and Gooch looked like they belong at this level. Donovan was taken completely out of the match by the tactics of the Mexican team and possibly, the gravity of the moment. Bocanegra was an unmitigated disaster.

As for Howard, has anyone ever notice that he gives up a lot of goals like the first one? Off his line 6 or 7 yards and a shot from 25-30 yards out gets over his head. I've seen it quite a few times with the MNT and also, a few times with Everton.

It was too bad to lose that game, looking that bad. That Mexico team is not very good. It was a good opportunity to get 3 points.

3. Brian71

Brian71 Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Gooch continues to look lost out there. He'll be a sub all season for Milan.

4. teqeeler

teqeeler Member

Jun 20, 2009
    I agree howard comes out to far sometimes then gets beat high while diving up/backwards as he doesn't have time to react

5. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Not a great performance, but the only guy I can really label poor was Bocanegra. Wasn't happy with his passing out of the back, but I can live with that if he is defending well/closing angles/blocking crosses and shots. Didn't really care for the way he bailed on that first goal. Ducking out on that shot isn't what I expect from him. Not saying he could have stopped it, but his little shrug and duck didn't help close the angle at all.

6. jonspider

jonspider Member

Mar 9, 2005
    South Carolina
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're crazy. The sub part....maybe. But, he didn't look lost.

7. Urbanhymns15

Urbanhymns15 New Member

Jul 28, 2008
    not sure what game you are watching, but i thought gooch bailed us out a few times.

8. Morrison8312

Morrison8312 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Laughable. Were you watching the same game?

9. karlomarx

karlomarx New Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We lost... plain and simple. NEXT.

Ya gotta look at the big picture... we have to make the WC.

10. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gooch was very good today imo.. but he'll still be riding the pine for AC sadly.

11. tio_sam

tio_sam Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    first of all FOR THE LOVE OF GOD enough is enough with brian ching, this guy can't be the starter...no touch or technical ability, no pace, no finishing..what is the deal...we have to try some other players up top....

second of all why was jonathan spector benched? the guy provides great service and settles things well on the right side.

third, feilhaber might new to start...ricardo clark looked terrible...bad touches over committing

12. Brian71

Brian71 Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Fine, fine...Maybe I'm choosing to see the bad parts, but I'm pretty sure he made some poor clearances that gave the ball right back to Mexico on many occasions.

13. primusux

primusux Member

Mar 17, 2005
    USA
    I don't know....I understand your point on tactics with Bob but I honestly don't believe he cost us the match today. We looked exhausted very early in the match. The altitude has got to be a killer and I just don't see how we can train at altitude for extended periods of time like we did in the 90's when we got that one draw.
    The ref also didn't cost us the game but even Mexico fans have to admit it was heavily biased. I do believe Mexico should have been down a man for the "attack".

A lot of people say this was our chance, our year to get the win.
    In the end I think we need to chalk it up to S.O.P. at Azteca.
    It's disappointing but we've still got a good chance to qualify.

14. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I thought give the ball back to Mexico was Bradley's game plan?
    I thought our approach was to toss Mexico the ball and DARE them to attack us.
    The ardido would swell up and cause massive cardiac stress and the Mexicans would all die on the field.

Wasn't that the plan?

Because if possessing the ball to tire out the opposition and waste time and not be under attack for 90 minutes was the plan then I don't see how he makes the personnel choices he did.

15. Brian71

Brian71 Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Agree. There are somethings you have to expect when going to Mexico to play. The fact that we didn't "acclimate" probably is a factor. I think we had high hopes because of our play against Spain and Brazil and losing when you play that poorly hurts.

BTW: Okay, all of you who called me out for going after Gooch, I take it back...except for the sub-only for Milan part.

16. RMCFkevin

RMCFkevin Member+

Nov 20, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My analysis

Mexico has no class.

17. El_Equpiodetodos

El_Equpiodetodos New Member

Jun 21, 2009

18. Brian71

Brian71 Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It will get us to the WC, it will NOT get us past the group stage.

19. convergecrew

convergecrew New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    And why did Davies even come out? He was our most dangerous player (out of a not very dangerous team) and played with the most passion out there.

Oh wait maybe because he wasnt willing to stay in our own half and jog around watching the Mexicans keep possession. Answered my own question.

20. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Is losing 2-1 in Mexico an acceptable result? Not any more. If the team that beat Spain cannot beat Mexico in Mexico, what can we hope for in the WC? Three and out is likely. We've been temporarely lulled into a false sence of security by the results in South Africa. The facts are that we're slipping in our own region and the result against Spain was a fluke.

What's Bob's big plan now?

21. rorschach

rorschach New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Kirkwood Atlanta
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    I think we looked weak today against a Mexico team that wasn't that strong. I liked the play of Davies, Holden, Feilhaber. Thought that Onyewu, Donovan,Bradley,and Dempsey had weak outings. Ching and Clark looked unimpressive. We had no control bringing the ball out of the back. Our midfield did nothing. We did not pressure the ball or look organized. Once again, I wonder about Bob Bradley's pick of a team. We could have had a tie or a win instead of a loss. This looked like the US team from the group phase of South Africa.

We are Americans. We need not stoop to trash talking when the ball doesn't bounce our way. The refs in CONCACAF always stink (not the Canuck refs...), and teams from below us embellish a great deal looking for the call. They have as long as I can recall. This is no reason to lose our heads and become rabidly bitter. We should just ignore trolls like irodrigo, lollerz, and that other guy. Those soldiers ARE fighting for America. I'm not (course I am 41 years old). That is far more patriotic an act than rooting for the home team. We lost a game, lets not lose our pride.

We need to learn from this game.

22. Hobeyho

Hobeyho Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way. I used to feel that Gooch was a serious weak link, but in the last 8-10 months, his play has dramatically improved. He is often left covering for poor outside back play, imo.

23. rorschach

rorschach New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Kirkwood Atlanta
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    I think he was cramping.

24. Brian71

Brian71 Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think this has to be the mindset. 2-1 wouldn't be so bad if we didn't play so poorly - and I think it has nothing to do with Mexico, really. They played well enough to win, but my gosh, only because we handed them the opportunities. We can't accept the excuses that the atmosphere, referees, Mexican antics, etc provide.

Above all, we need to abandon the route-1 football tactics.

25. convergecrew

convergecrew New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Ah, I see. Darn SAP button on my TV doesnt work.