Post-Game :: Crew vs. TFC

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, Sep 10, 2011.

1. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Crew loses the Trillium Cup for the first time ever.

Trolls will be dealt with. You've been warned.

2. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news: We're one step closer to second in the East(y), which will be a better seed come the playoffs.

Bad news: T-F'in-C!!!!!!

Discuss.

3. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The trillium cup has no meaning for me. Why would we ever want something that's had their dirty hands all over it. Disgusting.

Hesmer cost us two goals this match. We lost by two. Burns still sucks like always. Why is Gardner taking free kicks?

All in all, we didn't play that awful. Take away the shit performance of Hesmer and it's a much different game. He simply has to be better.

4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Conceding 4 at home to a shit side that has never won here is AWESOME!

5. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hey, at least one of their mods came over to our play by play thread to show some class.

Who's ready for the playoffs?!

6. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of me wants to say peaks and valleys. The season is long and there will be good and bad times. But this is real real bad.

Lose to TFC
    Get owned again by the fat guy
    Give up 10 in 2 games
    Will looks shaky at best
    Just signed RW to a 3 year deal

What's the worst part of that list?

on another note. I HATE MENDOZA. He is an
    Embarrassment to all who have worn the black and gold and LH.
    that flop in the 2nd half was pathetic. I can't wait for the off season if just to see him gone.

7. Zenitfan

Zenitfan Member

May 31, 2001
    Dayton, OH
    Mind starting by deleting the last post of the pbp thread and banning the poster from this forum? Thanks.

8. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hesmer's been shit lately

Disgusting loss

9. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gardner scored a goal off a free kick two weeks ago (though he negated it a few second later). Still, he's dangerous off free kicks (sometimes).

Hesmer had one of his bad games. We can write him in for a few each year. That being said, he's a solid 'keeper. I don't have a problem with him minding the net. I just hope he learns when to stay on his line and when to come out.

10. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish i had red colorblindness. That way I would never see that team in red lift the cup or win in our stadium again. (Note: this disease would also help against chicago)

11. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So him scoring a rocket of a goal with a groin injury doesn't convince you of his value? To be fair, it was a great strike

12. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being colorblind isn't cool, jerk! Do you know how obnoxious stoplights are?
    [​IMG]

13. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually no. I mean good for him and all but the dude is a selfish lazy overpaid waste 99% of the time. He also has the creepy goal celebration which takes away all the good feelings I have from seeing a goal scored.

14. sidefoot

sidefoot Member

Sep 6, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't watch the match, but how did we give up 4 goals at home against one of the worst teams in the league? A shocking loss.

10 goals allowed in 2 games. That's really the key statistic. Scoring twice generally ought to earn you a win.

15. jackmann

jackmann Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Cowtown
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't even start to drink enough to erase this memory. I have already deleted the DVR recording.....bring on more scotch:D

16. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goal 1 was all William Hesmer. After watching the highlights, so was goal 4. To be honest, I left at 3-1 with 8 minutes left. I literally felt nautious the entire trip home.

Hesmer played horrible tonight. It seems that he goes through these phases where he just makes absolutely horrendous decisions. I think that it's truly the one thing that holds him back from getting attention at the next level. He has the physical skills.
    I don't follow other keepers in the league enough to know if they all go through these things. I know I did when I played in college, and still do (albeit at a much lower level). It's a very tough thing to shake.
    He was lucky to not get scored on earlier in the first half when he made a finger tip save to put the ball on the bar. It was the same mistake as the Ryan Johnson goal. He came out, stopped, and left himself in no-man's land. Earlier in the match, he had another brain fart too with James that was apparently some foreshadowing.
    Overall, I thought we were flat, which is dissapointing since we had 10 days off. We looked tired out there. I thought tRR was our most active and consistent weapon tonight. I thought that he made Thorsten Frings look stoopid out there several times, and even when he was double and triple teamed, he worked and worked and worked to maintain possession. His form is continuing to look good. The defense looked confused and there was a lot of bickering at each other in the first half. Our central midfield was absent most the game, and I don't recall Dilly Duka playing much defense in the first half. Mendoza was his familiar self, and Renteria was the only one that showed any energy in the first half, especially after the goal. It's unfortunate that he can't seem to finish a game.
    Burns? WTF are you doing there? I still have to go watch the DVR, but you just CAN'T give he ball up right there.
    Short week. Hope the coaching staff can get these guys righted in time. Not sure what there deal is. We have 8 games remaining, and need to thank our lucky stars that we are in the east. Houston will be a tough game, and then the big dogs next weekend. We'll see how it goes, but if we don't get 3 pts on Wednesday, I'd say that we'll be tickled pink to come into the playoffs in the #2 or #3 seed.

17. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least the last game was on the road against a good team.

18. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree and have even said that Will is in a slump and costing us goals, however goal 1 tonight wasn't his fault. Ekpo all the way there. Goal 2 and 4 absolutely.

19. crewcrazy17

crewcrazy17 Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Medina
    Hesmer has had such a bad stretch that I would consider sitting him a game if Andy was healthy, just to let him get his head right.

If I never see Burn on the field again, I would be just fine.

Gardner got forward pretty well, but I still think he is the weak link on the back line.

Tons of mental mistakes throughout the game, I wonder how much was a carryover affect from Seattle. Hopefully they can put these two games behind them prior to Wednesday.

20. Crewner

Crewner Member

Sep 28, 2009
    south dakota
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only saw the 3rd goal live, but to me it looked like de Guzman completely bowled him over? It was certainly a bad touch on Burns' part, but I was under the impression a foul should have been called.

I can't bring myself to watch a replay of any part of the game. I'm sick to my stomach just thinking about it. I suppose this was a rebuilding year after all. I suppose the optimist in me says that anything can happen come playoff-time, but personally, I'd rather have the best record in the league and be a dominant force throughout the season like LA is now, or like we were in 2008.

Screw the playoffs, win the division and the league. But then, I'd prefer a single-table, no playoffs, relegation system, so take my opinion how you will.

It really makes me wonder what the squad is going to look like next spring.

Time to go read Sirk's book. It always helps me put these things in perspective and feel better.

$#!@

21. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So the excuse for this week is Hesmer and not the dozens of attacking runs off the ball that are staring our midfielders in the face on every single trip up the field? Just want to make sure that I'm on the talking points, because it would be a shame to mistakenly think that this brilliantly rebuilt team isn't capable of playing attacking soccer unless they're down 2 and the other team has shrunk back into a shell to protect the lead they earned by dominating the first half.

We're stuck with this crap for the next two-plus years. I can't wait.

22. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Man, I don't know about you guys but i'm really missing Eddie. It seems the team has become flat with out him.

23. footy5

footy5 Member

Feb 27, 2008
    The D
    I guess it was bound to happen sometime, just wasn't expecting it to be tonight. What was it that Jim Brennan said in that video, "at the end of the day when the men in yellow are done cheering they still have to go back to Columbus"? Well at the end of the day when the men in red are done cheering they are still in last place and will miss the playoffs...again. Funny that the majority of their "great" supporters are above coming here to have seen it in person.

Some quick things: Some soft goals given up (offsides on the 1st, Hesmer caught out on the 2nd, clear foul on the 3rd and if Hesmer going to come out on the 4th at least make an attempt to tackle the ball). Don't like the Burns substitution. How did Heineman miss the goal on that header (Mendoza got ripped for a similar miss at NY) and how many times did we play a cross to the back side with no one there? I thought Rogers was our best player and Ekpo was much more involved in the offense in the last 30 minutes. It felt like we were going to pull level until the JDG foul goal.

24. scornflakes

scornflakes Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm really missing a lot of people right about now.

25. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I was telling someone about guys like Balchan, I'm dropping the rookie excuse. They are grown men playing in a professional league. No more excuses to that shit. If you ain't got it by now, well.......

Some things I don't like seeing:

- losing at home, PERIOD
    - heads down instead of up, motivated, determined, murderous eyes for goals.
    - the amount of silence after going down a goal from the Nordecke. Instead of getting behind the team and/or lighting an flame up their ass, the focus is on Toronto and their supporters. Um, hello, the scoreboard is reality people.
    - people leaving the match early before the 3-2 score.
    - too many touches around the 18 instead of one touch shots. WTF are these professionals waiting for? Hit that shit like a weedhead! Can't score if you don't shoot often.

Ask yourself, are we winning MLS Cup this year?