Post game comments: Brazil -Argentina sept 3rd (r)

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by BigSoccer Bot, Sep 3, 2006.

1. BigSoccer Bot

BigSoccer Bot I am not real.

Feb 25, 2005
    Con un equipo que mezcla mundialistas, regresos y caras nuevas, el DT tiene su primera prueba en un amistoso que mueve pasiones y dinero.

Link To Original Article

2. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    bad outing for el coco
    nice to see tevez and messi (I prefered 1st half moves than 2nd half)
    Roman was gone for 40 minutes
    set plays were close to non-existent (pracitice?)

pls comment 'la paternidad' brazuca over argentina in the last few meetings

what is next for la seleccion?

3. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The only positive I could take from this is that Zabaleta looked solid, and most surprisingly, so did Colocini.

4. cordobesenUS

cordobesenUS New Member

Nov 12, 2005
    Austin-TX
    I think Argentina played well at times, the problem I see is the lack of finishing power, zabaleta, messi, aguero, bilos they miss so many chances, had brasil had those chances the score would be 7- 0. Thr defense needs a lot of improvement, it's hard to criticize too much because it's a friendly and it's the first game, I imagine there will be improvement.

5. ilovefotball

ilovefotball Member

Feb 11, 2006
    europe
    Zabaleta was MOTM for Argentina. i was dissapointed by Riquelme, but may be Messi and Tevez as strikers, was some reason for it. I hope Basile never ever play Messi as a striker. and i don't want to see Aguero come in so late in the match.

6. chipotaple

chipotaple Member

Mar 31, 2006
    CA
    Club:
    CD Chalatenango
    I did not take this game too seriously, I feel bad they lost, but hey, it was a friendly, and I think they started the game in that direction as to explore.

The thing was that brazil was not out to explore their new alternatives, they were out to kill right away.

I think this new team will grow in a good direction, plus brasil felt at home they were local and used that to their advantage.

However, they do need to NOT play messi as a striker anymore, I miss crespo, and Riquelme was attacked too much because of his big name probably, there were too many fouls on him that he thought it wasn't worth it, its a friendly, better luck next time, and hope they grow like I expect them to, its a new beginning.

7. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I went to the game and we badly missed Crespo. We played some lovely football but had no cutting edge, Brazil scored 3 goals from about 5 attacks. Ironicallu enough, seeing as we were playing at Arsenal's ground (which is brilliant) we play in a similar style to Arsenal, it's too elaborate and its as if the team want to score the perfect goal. But I'm not really bothered, it was only a friendly and it's just the start of Basile reign and the road to 2010. On the plus side both full backs looked good, especialy Zabaleta and it was good to see Aguero make his debut.

8. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    the problem as i see it is not that we were too elaborate, but we were far too slow.

brasil attacked w real pace and purpose, even their first goal before we were chasing the game.

i agree about lacking a centre forward but i think aguero should be given the role, he may be small but he plays up top and is always looking to score, too often the trouble today was we didn't have anyone in the box.

tevez would be far better as a suppport striker and messi in midfield, these guys just don't hang about in the box enough to be considered "number nines".

play this trio together and suddenly we will look dangerous.

i agree about the stadium tho.

sorry i missed u today ;)

was shaf there?

9. shaf-argentina

shaf-argentina New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Auckland, NZ
    just got back home from london, 3:24 am now, will post after I sleep over it.

10. BigSoccer Bot

Feb 25, 2005
    [News] Falló el equipo y no hubo respuestas individuales

Quedó claro que falta coordinación y que las figuras de la Selección jugaron por debajo de su nivel. Brasil fue contundente.

Link To Original Article

11. BigSoccer Bot

Feb 25, 2005
    [News] "Adónde vamos?

Aunque el resultado fue exagerado en el marcador, la derrota resultó clara e inobjetable. Faltaron jugadores y otros no aparecieron. Habrá cambios a futuro.

Link To Original Article

12. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I thought ARG played better as a team. BRA converted their chances with brilliant individual effort.

13. papams wind

papams wind New Member

May 15, 2006
    Kunming China
    oh......
    i can not believe you have this kind of impression.
    Brazil have so many team works especially in the first half. We only played like a team at the beginning of second half.

It is a total failure and a shame to Argentina. I do not want to comment on any players since they should not take responsibility for this kind of mess match. The tactics is completely mess.

Basile, What are you doing? 12 years has passed. I watched a similar match 12 years ago with Romania. Have you learned something from that match 12 years ago? No? The process and results is almost a copy of that match.

I am a steadfast objector of Basile from the beginning of the appointment.
    What he gave Argentina:
    0:5 lose to Columbia
    First time need extra qualification to the final stage of world cup
    Two successive failures in world cup
    (we have Simone, Balbo, Batistuta, Redondo……too many star players at that time)

Pls. do not talk about copa America, it likes a stage for young players especially at 10 years ago. Most of countries do not care it!

14. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    you could say that more about kaka's goal..but brazil's first two goals were team efforts.

15. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    IDS,

Agree 100% about Argentina playing at too slow a pace, but Basile's teams play quick attacking football so that will change in time.

16. mariealus

mariealus New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    Hi guy from soccerfans !

17. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think you are overreacting a bit. I have seen some great football display from both teams. Fact is that Brazil was extremely successful scoring their chances, while Argentina failed to do it.

It was also a testing ground, as both coaches made a lot of changes, which would not have happened in a match "that counts". But I don't think any coach took the game more/less seriously than the other.

18. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Agreed bsas, there's no need to get worked up about this, it was only a friendly and the first game under Basile, chill out, we take care of Brazil when the time is right. :rolleyes:

19. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lo mismo:

Como siempre. Lo mismo.. Messi es un jugador que juega solo tiene otro ritmo... Los de mas poco y nada. ARgentina attacko pero como en el mundial no pudo meter sus oportunidades. Brasil llego de contra golpe y gano CLARAMENTE... Mucho trabajo para Basile que desde tempranito ya sabe que esto no es boca y los rivales no son Banfield. Una PLAIZA que es neseceario para mejorar.. Pero con un tecnico de cavalas... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

20. smd9

smd9 Guest

well what can i say we got our asses handed to us by a superior team. the brazilian defence did not even give us time to move it was so frustrating to watch,they made the difference in the game.

Basically what it comes down to is this... we played like Brazilians and the Brazilians played like Argentines, we lacked heart, passion, desire,and most importantly huevos. and w/out those components we cannot beat a team like Brazil.:mad:

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe Messi is best in midfield, maybe Messi can be an effective striker, but I wouldn't conclude that he cannot do it based on this one match. Messi was not very effective as a striker, mainly because he was forced to track back. Maybe that's the way he plays, he is more confortable tracking back to get the ball. But in this match at least, he did it because he needed to do it. If he stayed up he wasn't getting the ball, except for the occasional centers by Bilos, which really didn't play to his strength. Neither Riquelme nor Lucho were finding him. It was the same with Tevez.

Both Messi and Tevez were getting a bit frustruated and trying to do too much on their own, I thought. Part of it was the lack of movement by their teammates. I don't think it has to do with their failure to have the capacity to play effectively as a forward.

Obviously this is just a tryout, as much as it hurts to lose to Brazil. We have to learn the lessons from this match. We have a lot of talented players, but you cant just throw them in there and be succesful. Basile has to really think this through, and use his vast experience to hopefully come up with the best team. He has to try the young players, evaluate them, and perhaps the most effective way to play is to leave some of the superstars out, and if that's the case hopefully he will have the balls to do it. Nobody is untouchable, look at Brazil. They played much better football without some of their 'indispensable' top stars like Ronaldinho.

So its time to reevaluate our midfield. Lets see how the team looks without Riquelme and Lucho, for example. Lets try Messi in midfield, maybe he can be more effective alongside a quicker player like Aimar. Let's see Gago paired with Mascherano or Somoza. The defense also has to be revamped.

Of the new guys, Zabaleta showed signs that he may be an important part of the team. Bilos played well, and because of his size and fighting spirit, I think he can be an option, although probably not a starter. Clemente I think failed his test this time, and unless he can show a lot more, we need a better option on the left side. Somoza proved he is an option as DM. Aguero is hard to tell from this match, but I am sure he can do much more, and he needs to get more chances.

22. mariealus

mariealus New Member

Feb 24, 2006

Precisamente!

23. ElGaucho

ElGaucho New Member

Aug 19, 2001
    La Plata
    Here's my analysis for what it's worth (and whether they should be benched or on the starting lineup):

Pato: I think he did a fine job. Cannot be blamed for what happened. START

Zabaleta: very impressive, very hard working, BUT need to improve on passing. START

Coloccini: what can I say, this guy was great during olympics, but now is only good for the bench - too much hacking. BENCH

Milito: never thought much of him, but he's doing great. START

Clemente Rodriguez: as much as I like the guy, he failed to impress. Does a great job of driving the ball forward, but defensive skills are completely not there... BENCH

Lucho Gonzales: why are people in love with this guy. this guys has been anonymous in almost all the games I've watched with him. He messes up too often, and cannot shoot well anymore. BENCH

Mascherano: anonymous.. what happened?? ok.. I will give him the benefit of the doubt given his previous performances. START

Bilos: well, I can't complain, he did work hard.. but I'm not sure he is starting material. That and trying to cross headers to pitufos all day is not going to work. Not sure it's his fault though. UNCERTAIN

Riquelme: as usual.. the team relies way too much on this guy.. but we have no other choice. START

Messi: too fancy, too elaborate, kept the ball too long. No more burrito Ortega mentality, it is pointless. START

Tevez: trying to hard to do it by himself.. needs to share the ball more. START

24. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Is Riquelme paying some of you? We have other options, there are players like Aimar and D'Alessandro who can play the position, WITHOUT slowing down our team. Riquelme has been a constant dissapointment since the WC.

25. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006

Exactly what I was thinking. How can people even say that we do not have other options ? We probably have more options in that position than any other team in the world :rolleyes:

Forget about Riquelme, he can hardly play one game per week for Villareal and you want him to play in the next WC at 32!

Messi needs to play either in Riquelme's position ( check what he did in the game against Angola if you have any doubts) or on the right where he plays at Barca. I do not understand why he is considered a striker in Argentina. He clearly was a midfielder at Barca's youth system. Using him as a striker would only waste his ability to take on players.

I have never seen him so lost on the pitch. I partially blame Riquelme for that, yes our "captain" :rolleyes: The thing is, Messi was frustrated with himself but more so with Riquelme who would sometimes sleep on the ball before making a meaningless pass.

There was obvioulsy no tactics or strategies used by Basile. I cannot really blame him since he had a very short time with the team which is not nearly enough.