Post Championship Celebration at RFK-Analysis and Commentary [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by BudWiser, Nov 16, 2004.

1. AB727

AB727 New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Hey, now I know who NattyBo is!

As a "quiet-sider", I find it quite enjoyable to gradually pick up some clues and match internet names with familiar faces.

I'm still trying to figure out who the big guy is - the one who is most often shirtless in the front row. He was looking quite handsome last night in a suit and tie.

As for analysis.....I feel optimistic about getting that stadium. It was fun to see Petke videotaping the audience and really enjoying the "wanker" chant. I can't blame Nelly for leaving because I'm sure the money will be much bigger elsewhere, but it's obvious he does love it here and it won't be an easy decision.

All-in-all, a very nice evening.

2. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just got press time from Dave Johnson on WTOP. During his sports segment, he conveyed the story of you starting that.

3. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a great time last night. I guess after going to the airport I didn't see a need for me to mob the team, especially cause (well look at the avtar) ;) I spent most of my time after all the speakers walking around the field, and getting upset at what baseball is going to do to our pitch.

I did get a quick chat with Petke and Carroll, (forgot my damn Carroll jersey in the car, chalk that up to being intoxicated, Thanks Skruggs) and they are looking forward to next season.

On the stadium topic: '07 is somewhat realistic. Although with the way DC politics is played who knows when it will happen. But as fans we definitely need to stay on top of His Honor and Ms. Schwartz. Letters, and hell, if they don't get us our stadium, well I got one thing to say George Bush Sr. "No new taxes!"

I think it was awesome that KP gaves us Big Soccer Nuts a shout out. That was pretty cool, he knows where to turn for help when he needs it. And that just goes to show he is one hell of an executive.

4. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    That's the one and only Red & Black.

:)

5. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, how many other folks to a piece of our pitch home with em. :cool:

6. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso

7. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    This is hilarious. Just the title suggests we could all use some time in analysis.

The chants were great, especially the stadium chant (Natty), the Petke chant, the various Barra chants with mumbled expletives. I also liked when everyone cheered for Ryan to stay. We can dream.

I got one PK (1 for 1 alltime at RFK, I will retire) -- possible comment of the night came from Brad when Amy was standing in goal "who wants to score on my wife?"

Also was interviewed on Polish TV. Good fun.

Standing at the Barra sign with Chico and the gang, amazing. Seeing the team with Barra jerseys, amazing. Then we had one final drum circle in tunnel on the way out -- Grill, the Bomba gang and me. A perfect coda to the season. Went on like "In a gada da vida". Then we went to the keg.

Can't wait for next year.

8. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

that was probably the coolest thing ive ever seen in the news haha
    "i tell my children that the day i die,i want to be buried with the flag of DC United, I am here till the end!"

9. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're willing to re-consider retiring, the Revs might be interested.

....or at least you can give lessons to Dempsy and Ralston. :D

10. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm not surprised. I told a young woman that I was going to the end of year (2003) equipment sale and she specifically asked for me to pick her up a game-worn Kovalenko jersey....

11. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    I did take a minute to walk to the penalty spot where the kicks were taken and took it all in. I didn't take any pk's unfortunately.

12. sckrmom

sckrmom New Member

Jul 17, 2003
    Gainesville, VA
    I witnessed several people "digging" up the grass on the field; as we were getting ready to leave, we commented to one guy who was all dressed up and pulling up grass, and he came over to see if my sister and I could get a good "divet" since we were both wearing boots with heels! I was almost surprised that no one showed up with a shovel!

13. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    People would have gotten some nice divots if Red and Black and I showed up with our golf clubs :)

14. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    Hey Natty, you'll be happy to know that Dave Johnson also gave you a 'shout out' on WTOP radio this morning. He was talking about the celebration at RFK, and specifically mentioned that there was one guy who started the "What do we want..." chant while Mayor Williams was within earshot.

Nice work!! (especially for a rookie! ;))

15. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the explanation Rob. Man I was bummed.

16. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Please, reserve that chant for the referees. Do you have no sense of decorum?

17. RFK 315

RFK 315 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    ...lurking...
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was a great event, especially for a hard-core fan who couldn't attend the Cup match.

I lined up on the endline when the team came out and had the tremendous opportunity to shake hands with and thank and congratulate the entire team as they walked by. Copped a feel on the Cup, too ! :D
    I got to wish Earnie well, beg Nellie to stay, had a laugh with with Eski, and rapped a little with The Wanker about finally getting a ring and his son.

Priceless, really.

took no PKs, nor tore up any sod (I already have an orange memento from RFK...), but it was sweet to be on the field- strangely enough, I didn't even notice baseball markings - is that selective recollection, or what ?

To be able to do this with "the greatest soccer team in the world" ;) was just fantastic, and a true credit to the organization - big thanks to everyone who had a hand in putting this event on.

it will be a long offseason, but fortunately, I've got a number of key matches on tape to remind me of an awesome season, and will try to keep my drinking shape ready for the next barra tailgate...

18. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    wow... i didnt think of that....was just bumming too hard... :)

19. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I talked to Kevin Payne after the ceremony about financing the new SSS, and he surprised me by saying that it would not be privately financed. I thought AEG was kicking in big bucks. Where can I go to find an explanation for the financing package. It seems to me that to be successful the SSS financing has to be very, very different from the extortion racket MLB is running to get DC to build a baseball stadium.

20. b1968k

b1968k New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Logan Circle, DC
    It shouldn't be a surprise. I'll try to find it, but there was a Washington Post article that pretty much said that the owners of the SSS/venue would be the DCSEC.

A couple of folks on this board, myself included, have been trying to say this for a while. The stadium will have an investment from AEG (or the new ICON group AEG just bought into) but there will be a significant public investment - most likely through tax increment financing (TIF). In exchange for the investment, AEG will most likely get the rights to control the venue and split the profits with the city. For a good example of this, look at the deal AEG just helped get approved for the new Kansas City downtown arena. The fact is, outside of AEG, United and the city, no one knows what the financing looks like until they lay out their plans to the Council.

21. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do know that KP has been working on the concept of a shared venture for at least two years, and that tax increment financing IS a component. FWIW.

GM

22. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    A great event and I nailed two penalty kicks at the clock end against some 16 year old in a keeper kit (left corner about 6 inches above the ground on both...) :)

Great to see everyone and have a season close out tailgate and post-event party at Fados... I'm going to miss this over the next few months... :(

Thanks to DC United for putting this together and thanks for the team for the FOURTH STAR!

What can you say? DC United are champions both on and off the pitch!

Of course, I'm curious to know if Nowak was afflicted by Stolichnaya Silver or Stolichnaya Gold "mayonaise"...

23. Publius

Publius Member+

May 22, 2001
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both penalties were well taken and the keeper, who occasionally plays Saturday pick-up with us, has talent.

Even handicapped by a suit and wingtips, I couldn't bring myself to attempt a penalty kick against the 9 year old girl who was tending the net later in the evening.

24. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    I was watching the players when they announced Piotr was ill from "mayonaise" and they group I looked at just rolled their eyes!

Tim

25. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    eew? Does that mean United has no control over security?

Anyways, some pics here:
    http://www.bastaic.com/ultras/cupparty/

Secret Petke cloning facility :D
    [​IMG]