Post Championship Celebration at RFK-Analysis and Commentary [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by BudWiser, Nov 16, 2004.

1. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    man you guys are pretty stringent about the way you set up your thread titles. i mean jeez... is there a Post Championship Celebration banter thread too?

2. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Had to leave a little early and get some work done, but very cool to hear everyone chanting for Nelsen to stay and him looking sheepish and flattered. Man, Olsen looked as bad as he sounded on Elliot this morning.

Walking back to Lot 8 and doing the DC UNITED CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP cheer under the tunnel with my buddies still makes my skin crawl, even if we're the only ones under there.

3. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    YUP, Nowaks new system. You guys might want to take notes.

4. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    A night of great love. From KP to Fred Matthes on down.

--Thanks to the team for so much this season!

This is the first offseason since i have been going to United games (1998) where I don't want a break. I already miss everyone, where in the past would normally NEED a break at the end of the season :D

I think its the fact that guys like Nattybo and others from the previous 4 years in the Barra had to see this team scrap and fight through some god awful times to get to this point and it makes it that much sweeter. Any a$$hat could have followed this team in the glory days of Bruce and back to back cups. Our current fans, like our team have true character and I love it.

--God bless you all and have a SAFE and quick offseason. :D

p.s. After tonight, I also hope every member of CSC catches a fatal disease and dies. :p

5. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i remember two seasons ago after we barely made it into the playoffs and lanorte marched to the tunnel where we started a drum circle. soon barra and the eagles joined in a we had a bunch of us jumping and grabbing eachothers shoulders in two big rings around el bombo jumping up and down and jumping side to side. best night of my DC U life.

6. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

I think its a bit unfair to say there are a lot of us that are that anal... Just one in charge :D

7. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Great time....except loosing my scarf :( :mad:

I hope that we can get the Barra Brothers and Sisters together occassionally during the off season...just to keep in shape and ready for the beginning of next seasons Cup Run :D

Thank you my friends for a great time every time I make it to a game :)

8. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Is this really 'analysis' lets try to stay on topic here.... ;)

9. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saying goodbye to 135 again was kinda sad. And I really wanted to catch Earnie before he left and tell him I'd miss him and thank you; instead, he's possibly the only person I didn't see leave. I don't know how the hell that happened. And will miss everyone, of course.

Four months until the next match.

10. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    since im on a memory lane trip right now might as well expound

i remember my first DCU match in july of 2001 (im fairly sure)
    it was against chicago (i think) and they were up but we came back and won it. and i remember seeing the nest going wack-o. singing the whole way out and then shooting off fireworks in lot 8 i went to a bunch more matches that season

.... opening day 2002 and i remember all the lanorte guys and barra and everyone together just going bonkers. hoping that it would be the season which everything changed unfortunately itnever happend.but i was hooked. 2002 was a huge season for me. i went from euro-snob to die hard in about 15 seconds.

damn ive have great times with this team. and horrible times.

11. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Comcast is airing DC stuff after this commercial break (10:20pm)

Just saw Barra banner, Andy, Chico, and Carlos!!! whooohooo :D

12. dienasty

dienasty New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Silent Earth
    Go D.C.! and thanks for a great championship game to watch, Its been a hell of a season as a D.C. fan in Georgia.

13. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one last memory lane trip before i quit boring you guys

anyone remember summer of 2003 when i went to montana for 2 weeks. i left when dc was in dismal standing, 5th as usual, playing horrible soccer. i came back and we were in 3rd place and everyone started a petition to get me to go back to montana.

14. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, Hizzoner also reminded us that he's a politician when he said that.

But where does 07 come from? Is the timetable from city saying "OK, AEG, here's your pat on the back, go ahead and build your stadium" to the construction companies saying "here's the keys to your new stadium, Mr. Anschutz" a full two years?

15. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey -- Let me second that. Over the past couple of years, I've gone from being a casual fan to -- well, I'm going to sign up for two half-season tickets and, if next season is like this past season, I'll probably take in a few more games along the way. But, aside from the magnificent way United jelled after Labor Day, the big surprise for me this year was discovering Big Soccer. A lot of you guys really have some indepth knowledge of the game, the league, the team & the players -- and I really picked up quite a bit from you "Internet Nuts." Thanks!

I would have loved to have been there tonight but I had a prior commitment that I couldn't get out of. Drats! I was figuratively beating my head against the wall the whole meeting. I am so jealous of you guys who were able to go to the rally.

16. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

Keep telling us stories and we can always get Dougg and the Nortenos to start it again :D

--Nice short bit from Comcast. Adu contimues to impress me. More to come. (10:28pm)

p.s. La BARRA Brava is now a world class media whore :D

17. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto. But I also gotta say that this is one of the things I've always loved about soccer -- there really is no offseason, at least not in the sense that other big American sports experience.

I mean, yeah, we're done until March, and that sucks. But I also root for the Nats, and they have a match tomorrow night. And while I'm not invested in any foreign teams or leagues like I am here, I have a few teams I like and some teams I really can't stand (*cough* Real Madrid *cough*), and I always like to watch good soccer. Unlike any other big sport in this country, there's always soccer to watch and get worked up about. Maybe not as worked up, but still.

18. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It was a fun time tonight.

A couple of points/fun stories:

1. If anyone doubts La Barra's party prowess - let me just say, we had a keg. I repeat, we had a frigging KEG for this event ;). Not to mention plenty of champagne and cigars!

2. My one bragging point this season came tongight when I was the one to initiate the 'What do we want? A STADIUM! When do we want it? NOW' chant. Kevin Payne actually came over and thanked me afterwards, which was super cool. Thanks, KP!

3. I got to touch the MLS Cup. Hell yes.

4. Saying goodbye to Nelly, having fun with Eski (he was all smiles), talking to Dema.
    I asked Gomez in spanish if he would be back next year (es posible? si, es posible) but he did not sound too confident in that though..who knows.

5. The offseason is going to suck..I miss all my Barra family already :(

19. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well if you really want me to..
    this one time after a long drive up 95.... ;)

20. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Like I said, got to admire a group that shows up to tailgate a party, I was there at about 4! :D

That was great seeing all the players up there wearing Barra shirts. I just hope Freddy doesn't run into any over-zealous cops on the way home, he got mine, I haven't washed that thing in quite some time (good luck, you know :D ) and there has been more than just "a little" beer thrown all over it! :D

21. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, it was great being out there on the field. anyway, it could be worse. we could be waiting until april before a game. at least we will get these CCC games in march. I'm looking forward to that. I'm actually considering going out to hawaii for the preseason game against LA. I've always wanted to check out Hawaii, and this is a good excuse for me to go. anyway, it will be a long offseason just because of the fact that we won and I would love to see them back on the field. however, this is a well-deserved rest for them and i'm glad that they are getting it. the mayor sounded soooooooo hilariously cheesy with his "WHO IS THE BEST SOCCER TEAM IN THE WHOLE WORLD??!!!!" lolololol politician, indeed.

22. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahah thats gross man. you havea 15 year old "savior of us soccer" a beer and sweat soaked shirt. haha

23. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    The Good

Having the celebration on the pitch. Dear DC United Central, Brilliant.

The head of Sports & Entertainment and the mayor expressly said new stadium for DC United on the banks of the Anacostia by '07.

Petke is a Wanker chant. And his reaction.

The Beer Man chant. Mike, you're a prince.

The chants for a raise for Namoff and to re-sign Nelsen. Priceless.

Payne calling Moreno MVP and the resulting cheers. Oh and Payne giving a nod to some people called "internet nuts".

Nelsen's heartfelt speach.

MeridianFC scored a pk on the south goal (ok so the keeper was 9 years old and she slipped....and well I missed the first one against the 14 year old boy....er.....maybe this should go under the category below).

The Bad & Ugly

Never, ever let the politicians speak towards the end. Carol Schwarz is an amazingly bad public speaker.

There really wasn't much bad or ugly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

96-97-99-04

24. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    What was Namoff's reaction to his chant?

25. Nick_78

Nick_78 New Member

May 9, 2004
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Well, most of that beer and all of that sweat is a direct result of he and his teamates play this season, so I guess you could say he earned it! :)