Post Casey Analysis of Striker Dilemma for 2006

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by DMunited, Jul 10, 2005.

1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I read somewhere that Dallas expects Eddie back on the 16th.

As to having an ability to predict injuries ...

2. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Write this down: There's no way Steve Ralston starts a WC game for the U.S.

If I could bet on it in Vegas, I'd put down money that he's not on the roster at all.

3. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I wasn't addressing you specifically to be honest - it was a very blanket statement of mine - generalization at it's finest.

I can understand that. I agree with much of this and the parts I don't I respect. The USA doesn't seem as held up without Reyna on the field. Maybe Pablo is quicker to get the ball forward than Claudio Reyna is. But Reyna is a pretty quick decision maker and I still think he would be useful for the USA. I agree though that he is not a lock (or at least shoudn't be) a lock to start in 2006. I think the 'time-off' factor may have hurt, considering he was the captain.

4. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on both points.

I keep mentally linking the posts (thankfully only a few) that put Ralston into a WC starting spot at right midfield and the other posts (more than a few) that trash Reyna. Other than being younger, I can't think of any advantage a run-of-the-mill player like Ralston has over Reyna. Reyna may not be able to play 90 minutes three times in 8 days like at the WC, but if he is willing to adjust to playing a more supporting role on the nat team, rather than the central midfield role he is used to, then Reyna will own right mid, except for some late game subbing. Ralston (as nice a guy as I'm sure he is), can't compare to Reyna, won't start over Reyna, and probably won't make the WC squad anyway.

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Stevie hustles his butt off on every play (well, sans that header that Kasey saved) and gives the US wide presense that Claudio does not.

Ralston also crosses the ball very well. Once you play with a target man upfront, that becomes even more important.

Uhm ... I made a "rep" bet once on Donovan not being rated the top 20 Bundesliga mid. I don't recall if I had ever collected on it, but ... I say Ralston starts at least one game that's not against a top level (seed) team.

6. Heathens '87

Heathens '87 Member

United States
    Mar 4, 2004
    Michigan
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like the crapping on Ralston. The guy came into the playing group last year against Jamaica and has been consistent and effective during our qualifying run. Injuries have forced him into more playing time, and he's gone out there, like a metronome, and played his game. Against weaker teams, he looks better. Against better teams, he looks worse. But it's not Ralston who's changing his level of play.

That said, I agree that it's highly unlikely, no let's call it extremely unlikely, that Ralston makes the WC roster. If we're healthy, we have better options for starting slots and Steve is limited in his positional flexibility. If we've injuries, Steve doesn't match up well with the level of competition we'd face in the WC, so we'd likely go elsewhere. Again, on the bench, he doesn't provide multiple positions like a Reyna or Noonan, and he can't play the defensive midfield like a Zavagnin. Either he starts for the US team in Germany or he stays home. It's hard to imagine him there.

A few years from now, we may look back on 2005 and realize how helpful Steve was in getting up to the WC, even though he didn't get to Germany. I'd still thank Ralston for his service to the team, as he's performed admirably and helped solidify the midfield when we needed some help.

Good enough to help us in CONCACAF is what I thought of Steve when he got called into camp last year, and he's proven me right. But he's simply not WC-level, and at his age, that isn't going to change.....

7. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

Yeah baby!

So if Johnson had his injury exactly a year later he would miss most of Germany.

As for a prediction- how about Beasley, Lewis, and Davis all getting hurt leaving one Bobby Convey to start at left wing in Germany... ;)

8. ChelseaMatt

ChelseaMatt Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Memphis
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Post Casey Analysis of Striker Delima for 2006

I think Ching yes, Noonan no (should Ching get healthy). I see Ching and Casey more in the mold of BMB-- a physical striker who could complement EJ well-- I just don't see where Noonan fits in-- maybe he gets in for the next World cup, but not this one

9. ChelseaMatt

ChelseaMatt Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Memphis
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that we shouldn't crap on Ralston, but it seems that you're doing just that. I think that he probably makes the WC squad. Who would you put out at Right Wing instead? He's probably the best we've got at that position. He gives us width out there that I'm not sure anyone else we have does.

We could put Reyna out wide like we did against Mexico in the last World Cup, but that's the only other possible situation that comes to mind.

10. ChelseaMatt

ChelseaMatt Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Memphis
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what will probably happen is a situation similar to what we had last season at Chelsea-- two left footed wingers-- instead of Duff and Robben, we'll have Lewis and DMB. I've got to say, I'd be pretty happy with that, and with Ralston as a backup.

I think this conversation is somewhat moot, though-- I don't think Bruce Arena will let us down!

11. Karl

Karl New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Ann Arbor MI
    I agree that Ralston and Reyna deserve better than they're getting from some of us here. Ralston is limited in the roles he can play, but he always gives his best; he was terrific, for example, against Jamaica and Guatemala, if overmatched elsewhere. In MLS he has always struck me as a player who is consistently underestimated, even by his opponents, and who can set defenders on their heels with sheer effort.

As for Claudio, one of his overlooked strengths, I think, is his ability to adapt to different roles. Let's not forget that he was once Donovan, a 20-year-old with better skills than any other Nat except perhaps Tab Ramos; he had the brightest of futures. Injury delayed his entry onto the Nat stage or he'd have been a factor in 1994.

You may recall that he has played as a forward (US-Mexico 1995, two assists and a goal), a wing midfielder with heavy defensive responsibilities (shadowing Braulio Luna in the 2002 knockout vs Mexico), as a center mid both attacking and defending. He has played as a right back in Europe--how about the foot skills of a lineup with O'Brien at left back and Reyna on the right?

Reyna does slow the game down at times, and I've found his set pieces really disappointing; Donovan always looks more dangreous taking corners and free kicks. But Claudio has tremendous skill and vision, and unlike many players who are more skilled than their peers, he has proven himself willing to fit whatever role is asked of him. I think he deserves credit for that.

As for the fifth-striker debate, I wonder if there is a player in the mix who may suddenly find himself fortune's heir, like Schillaci in 1990, a scrapper who hits a run of luck at just the right time. Twellman, who rarely excites, seems like the best candidate for this.

Then again, there may be other players who can excel at the international level because the supporting cast is so much better. Eddie Johnson constantly marvelled at the quality of service he received with the Nats over the past year. Perhaps Quaranta had this experience against Cuba; perhaps even Adu is a possiblity as a fifth striker, because, limited as he is right now, he has technical skills shared by few, if any Nats. A 20-minute sub sent on just to make things happen?

12. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Freisland and England - two rivals:)...
    they are pretty famous here already....
    bltleo

13. WALDO

WALDO Member

Feb 20, 2005
    BURBANK
    Eddie Lewis! Eddie Lewis! Where art thou Eddie Lewis!

14. Heathens '87

Heathens '87 Member

United States
    Mar 4, 2004
    Michigan
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I object to the negativity that is tossed his way, and the "you suck" sort of posts that add little to the discussion. That's not you, or most of this thread, but it does tend to be part of BS culture.

That said, I do think you can be positive and a fan of Ralston, and still believe that we have options that better match-up with WC-level teams at the position. Steve gives it his all, and has helped us tremendously during qualifying. If that is all he can do for the USMNT, I'd be extremely grateful to him for his service.

I think the best midfield group, in sort of a 4-1-3-2 formation, would be Donovan, Lewis, Beasley, and Mastroeni. Ideally, Beasley would be comfortable on the right, but Donovan may need to be there, with Beasley in the middle, Lewis coming forward on the left, and Pablo in back. The second midfield group, I'd put as Dempsey, Reyna, Noonan, and Zavagnin. Noonan can play right, and serve as forward depth. Reyna can play any midfield position.

With a limited WC roster, for those bench positions, the ability to cover multiple positions becomes critical. Guys like Reyna, Noonan, Convey, and Spector become more of a threat to make the roster because of their positional flexibility. Steve doesn't bring that, so that's why I think, if we're completely healthy in the midfield, he has a tough time getting to Germany.

15. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing left midfield where he is fantastic. Don't move him!

16. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    I didn't read the entire thread but I'm going to restate my (baseless) prediction that the WCO6 roster does get filled out with hybrid type offensive players but that spot #23 goes to a dark horse striker with fewer than 10 caps but who's hot at the time.

So for me, there's no dilemma. This isn't ManU/SAF where there MUST be 2+ sets of striker tandems who all work the same way.

17. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

Kenny Cooper ??.....Oh..Oh...wait for it...if that doesn't bring 'em out of the woodwork....

.....calling superdave....calling superdave..

18. DMunited

DMunited New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Austin TX
    I'm shameless bumping this thread again because it seems theres to a lot of discussion of this problem post-Honduras.

I missed the first half and watched the second on a crappy feed where I can just barely make out who's playing, but at this stage in the gold cup I feel that Wolf and Noonan simply can't cut it. And Donovan and Beasley are what they are: Great Midfielders but not strikers.

I think we need to bring in new blood. And sooner rather than later.