[POST] Bowen at it Again in Kids Post :: 4/14 :: "Hey, Let's Remember the Goal!"

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JayRockers!, Apr 14, 2006.

1. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Hey, Let's Remember the Goal!

OMG! Fred Bowen [thread=225470]does it again[/thread] in Kids Post.

Some gems:

And then everyone gets a trophy with their orange slices at the end of the game.

Hypocrite! Looking forward to a World Cup where there won't be a 2 goal per team average. You suck and should not be writing for kids. I hope [post=5757734]Bill Freeman[/post] and hundreds of other letter writers take you to task, a whole lot more eloquently than I would be able to. It's a shame that there is no counterpoint from Steven Goff or the guy who is blogging the WC for the Post.

[thread=228564]beltwayrob wrote[/thread] "Maybe Bowen will think twice before he writes such garbage again." I guess we weren't that lucky.

Thx,

Jay!

2. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    He's a clueless idiot. That's why he's still writing columns for little kids to read after all these years.

3. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    No big deal, the Kid's Post usually ends up on the bottom of the bird cage with Polly's doo-doo all over it.

4. Jegao Paraiba

Jegao Paraiba Member

Aug 6, 2004
    Morgantown, WV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Cut the guy a break.
    I mean, look at him!
    He was surely beaten by children as well as his parents until the age of 30.

5. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who gives a flying ******** what Fred Bowen thinks.

Isn't there a game tomorrow?

6. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would normally completely agree with this sentiment -

...except for the fact that his target audience are the future of DC United supporters. And they're a pretty captive audience since KidsPost is all they get, aside from the comics page.

7. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Except for those 11-year-olds who can do Samurai Sudoku puzzles in 10 minutes ....

8. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    You mean there are kids who read KidsPost? I have a bazillion nephews and nieces and they're too busy playing video games to read their homework assignments let alone the lousy KidsPost crap.

9. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    i wonder how many of Fred's readers (the little soccer playing kids) think that the 8x24 goal is too big for their own games. i'm sure most of them play on a smaller field with a smaller goal.

his ideas are not just silly, they are bad.

i certainly wish he could be excited about the World Cup and at the same time appreciate MLS and what it has to offer.

10. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Who says it stopped at 30?

11. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Clearly, I'm only talking about the nerdy kids. ;)

12. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

With all due respect Riz, his target audience has more knowledge of the sport and respect for it, than he does.

13. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No offense taken - and you're probably right. It's still a captive audience tho, so I understand the concern Jay posted.

14. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    alrite, so i read it, and instead of giving him hell

someone take him to an indoor soccer game, he wants an indoor soccer game, high scoring and lots of fun

also, its a very, 'lets americanize the game article', although his ideas are pretty damn retarded

15. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Ex.

Ack.

Lee.

16. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He could do baseball too, it's pretty damn boring. Maybe put landmines in the outfield or blindfold the pitchers. Hey, anything to make it more exciting....right? :rolleyes:

17. Dave Brother

Dave Brother New Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Alexandria
    Bowen's a putz. :mad:

18. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Look, I'll give him the fact that there is far too much clutch-and-grab defense in this sport.

What he needed to suggest was that the ball be replaced by a Gaelic Athletic Association football.

19. wyastarr

wyastarr New Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Takoma Park, MD
    Wow... conservative reactions. I said thank god when the NHL updated its rules this year. I don't think there's anything wrong with just discussing these sorts of things. I'd say that except for baseball, most pro-sports in the US tinker with the rules.

Personally, I think soccer (everywhere) needs to do one thing: enforce the rules. The constant grabbing should just be whistled, with eventual carding. Count the fouls committed by any defending team during a corner, it's silly.

The NBA used to do it. The NHL is trying to do it. What's wrong with a little discussion?

20. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great idea, Bowen. Let's just change the points for a goal to ten-thousand-million, and then we can have games with scores of "twenty jillion" to a "billion-zillion".

That should make it more funner and keep kids and retards like you interested. :rolleyes:

21. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    This 'discussion' is more like "Let's tear the game down and build a new one" than tinkering.

Discuss penalizing teams for encroaching when setting up a wall. Discuss how to get diving and shirt-grabbing out of the game. Discuss the impact of a lighter, faster ball. But to change the size of the goals just so this moron can get his jollies by hearing more goal celebrations??

You don't see the NBA talking about lowering the basket to 6' so that everyone can dunk, or the NFL awarding Super Bowl rings to everyone who tried to win the final game.

22. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    i'm actually convinced that NBA rims are already several inches (if not a 1/2 foot) lower than 10 feet.

i bet they also play with a women's sized basketball, to make jumpshooting easier.

23. wyastarr

wyastarr New Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Takoma Park, MD
    I don't understand the thing with the super bowl, does increased scoring do away with winners and losers?

As to b-ball, there has been discussion about raising the rims. You see basketball experimenting with 3-point line distance, width of the lane, etc. What's the big deal with talking about it? Personally, the NBA, at least the east coast has become un-watchable in my book. I'll take the late 70s early 80s game over today's in a heartbeat.

As to soccer, I don't want the goals made bigger, I don't want the offsides rule changed. But if one thinks it might be nice to limit the number of mind-numbing 0-0 draws, why go crazy over a nutty idea? Those kinds of ideas sometimes work out.

24. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I went to a 0-0 Velez Sarsfield v River Plate game that was one of the greatest games I've ever seen. I think the purists view is that the game's held up for 120 plus years with minimal tinkering. I don't recall where attendance increased when the shootout was introduced. If anything, american soccer fans who are as saavy as any soccer fans screamed for its death.

25. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If FIFA wanted to start talking about changing the goal size, that's one thing. But I got the feeling that the guy was saying MLS should unilaterally change the rule. And that would be very bad, putting MLS players and, by extension, the USMNT, at an competitive disadvantage internationally.