Possible WCQ matches for Frisco

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by texgator, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Kermmy803

Kermmy803 Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Denton County, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If history serves me correctly, they also paid off the Ballpark in HALF (10 yrs) the time initially thought necessary AND when it was paid off they RESCINDED the sales tax. This is the same sales tax increase now being used to fund the Cowboys stadium. The city also promised to rescind the tax again when the stadium is paid off.

The city of Arlington had history on their side with the funding issue as proven by the Ballpark funding and the citizens bought it. Give the city credit.

2. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Did the city of Arlington pay off the Ballpark early because of all the economic development it attracted or it just happened to be financed right before one of the biggest economic booms in American history? I'd say the later because a quick look around the stadium suggests it has had little to no economic impact on the city, besides some warehouse owners getting some extra change for use of their parking lots at night.

Will Jerryland be any different? I doubt it. You think all those corporate suits that are the bulk of the SB gate are going to fight in line to stay at the Motel 6 on I30? Or shop at Six Flags Mall? I don't think so.

To a certain degree Dallas gets a pass on Jerryland because it is a bit like Nash going to Phoenix. If some dumbass elsewhere is willing to be an idiot, there isn't much you can do. Dallas doesn't get a pass for acting so antagonistic towards somebody who wants to invest in your city. You negotiate in good faith and if things don't work out then so be it.

3. GoldFinger

GoldFinger New Member

Jun 19, 2004
    The choice wasn't whether to just build a new stadium or not, but whether to keep the Rangers in town or let them go to another 'burb. The economic impact of the Rangers leaving would have been devastating. In 1988, I wrote an article for the Business Press of Tarrant County in which I researched the economic impact of the Rangers as a whole and Nolan Ryan had on Arlington. While I can't remember the details, the numbers were staggering to restaurants, hotels, Six Flags and then Wet N Wild.

4. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States