Portuguese World Cup Scorers - Pauleta # 1

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Portugallia, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Portugallia

Portugallia BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 9, 2005
    Portugal played countries just as weak as we play today and it's just a sad excuse because the Figos, Rui Costas and Nuno Gomes have been playing the same games Pauleta has.

2. benficafan100

benficafan100 New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Oshawa Ontario
    actually,that kind of is the point.Mainlanders dont like neither Island a whole heck of a lot.Yet i dont know why,i love mainlanders to be honest

3. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Laughable. Eusebio was from Africa when people had little respect for black people in those days, and still most Portuguese football fans considered him the best ever..

Cristiano Ronaldo is from Madeira and he has a huge fan following.

4. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    who's bashing? I didn't starter this thread

5. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    Exactly my point but you know what...Pauleta has turned up in the biggest game of all - World Cups.

He's turned up 3 goals more than Figo and Nuno Gomes and 2 goals more than Rui Costa. What Benfica fans then do is forget these facts and solely judge Pauleta on Euro performances.

Yet the fact that Figo, Futre, Rui Costa and Nuno gomes have never turned up in the World Cup (the higher prize) seems to be irrelevant.

In other words, there's no consistency when comparing Portuguese players because if there were it would be Pauleta that would reign in people's minds and not club favourites such as Rui Costa, Nuno Gomes or Figo.

6. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Portugallia is Pauleta, it's the only explanation.

If Pauleta had scored a few goals in Euro 2004, he would be a bit more popular than he is. Fact is, he rarely scores in big games (Rui Costa and Figo don't have to score, but for Pauleta to be successful, he has to).

7. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Stop saying Benfica fans, it's not only us, it's everyone!

Also, Nuno Gomes has barely played any minutes in the World Cup, while Pauleta has played 3 games, and only scored in one of them.

8. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I'm going to watch the Novela - Filha do Mar, rtp international, and she's from Azores

got nothing against it, I love it

be back in 45minutes

9. benficafan100

benficafan100 New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Oshawa Ontario
    Read my other post in Pauleta vs Nuno Gomes thread, where i said somethign about Eusebio being loved because he played in Portugal

Ronaldo did aswell,Pauleta never was.Plus Pauleta has"messed up"to many times,and Ronaldo "hasn't".Plus!Pauleta has been playing longer PLUS!!!!Cristiano Ronaldo does all his tricks and dribbles,granted its incredible but majority of his fans only like him for that same with Quaresma

10. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    Pauleta has helped Portugal reach two world cups in a row...something no other player can claim in our history.

1) Pauleta was top Portuguese scorer in the 2002 World Cup qualifiers with 8 goals. That's 7 more than Rui Costa.

2) Pauleta was top Portuguese scorer in the 2002 World Cup finals with 3 goals. That's 3 more than Figo and Nuno Gomes.

3) Pauleta is top Portuguese and top European scorer in the 2006 World Cup qualifiers with 11 goals. That's 11 more than Figo, 10 more than Nuno Gomes and 11 more than Rui Costa.

So who hasn't turned up for the big games?

If Pauleta hasn't turned up fot the Euros then Figo, Rui Costa and Nuno Gomes have never been to the World Cup to represent Portugal.

11. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I agree with you when you say that Pauleta would be more popular if he had spent some time in the Superliga. However, that's quite different from saying people don't rate him as highly as others cause he's from the Azores.

12. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Figo, Nuno Gomes, and Ricardo to name a few can also be on that list, not just Pauleta.

1.) Again, who cares how much more goals Pauleta scored over Rui Costa, it's never been Rui Costa's job to score goals.

2.) Figo was playing hurt in the Wolrd Cup, and Nuno Gomes didn't see much time at all. Plus Pauleta scored in only one game, he should have saved two of those 3 goals and used them in the other two games, would have been much better for Portugal like that.

3.) He's a striker who got way more minutes than Nuno Gomes and Figo.

13. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    Anyway people, chew on this cookie for a while. :D

World Cup performances by Portuguese players

Player................Goals

Pauleta................22
    Eusebio..... 21 (Actually Mozambiquian not Portuguese)
    Figo........ 9
    Rui Aguas 8
    Joao Pinto 8
    Nuno Gomes 8
    Jordao..... 7
    C.Ronaldo 7
    M.Fernandes 6
    Gomes..... 6
    Sergio Conceicao 5
    Rui Costa.. 5

14. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Mozambique was a colony at the time, so it was Portuguese land. Eusebio was as much Portuguese as someone from the mainland. Also, Eusebio didn't play nearly as many games as Pauleta has.

15. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Forget it, these are point that go straight over his head. If he actually watched some games, he might appreciate how many of Pauleta's goals came off of crosses from Figo or passes from Rui Costa.

16. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    Nonsense, Eusebio is Mozambiquian first and foremost.

17. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Sock :rolleyes:

18. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Then I'm not Portuguese either. I was born in America.

19. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    Like the rest of the team had nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

To some Portugal must be the only national team that doesn't require their midfielders to score goals in World Cup tournaments.

No such thing as a goal scoring midfielder. Wonder if Figo would be considered great if he'd never scored a goal because he's a "midfielder".

20. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    That's right, you're an American.

21. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    The Mozambiquian youth also need their heroes to look up to. It's not fair we pick and choose other peoples heroes and claim them as our own using colonial and legal technicalities.

Eusebio should be an inspiration to the Mozambiquians.

22. marco goncalves

marco goncalves New Member

Apr 29, 2002
    Boston

Why waste your time guys,i went nuts proving this kid that the best player of all times was Eusebio.......

He doesnt get it...He wants transparency ....Well before you ask for transparency why dont u become a bit more transparant.....

1-How old are u?
    2-How long have u been following soccer
    3-How many Eusebio games have u seen

FCVK man ,u didnt even know who Lev Yashin was,yet you want to come here starting ******** ,but dont want to listen,or worst yet ,dont want to LEARN...

"YOU CAN LEAD A HORSE TO WATER,BUT YOU CANT MAKE HIM DRINK"

THATS YOU ALL OVER

23. marco goncalves

Apr 29, 2002
    Boston

How many Euroean cups has Pauleta won?

Futre-1 intercontinental cup,1 European super cup ,1 Intercontienetal cup
    Figo-1 CL cup,1 cup winners cup,1 intercontiental cup,1 European super cup.
    Rui Costa -1 CL cup....

Thats just for starters....

What else do u want ?who has the biggest Penis?

24. marco goncalves

Apr 29, 2002
    Boston

****************,people dont hate Pauleta # 1 ,secondly who cares where hes from ,Azores is Portugal ,im from the Azores and im as good of a Portuguese as someone from Lisbon....

Cristiano Ronaldo is from Madeira
    Queiroz is from Mozambique
    Dimas was from Mozambique
    Xavier from Mozambique

The lsit goes on.Dont let this clown get his way........

25. marco goncalves

Apr 29, 2002
    Boston

Hey Einstein ,go Aahead and list the weak countries that we played back than compared to today.....WC qualification that is.....I want to have a good laugh.......

You want Wc performances ,you got it Pauleta scored 3 ,Eusebio SCORED 9...

Pauleta didnt make it past the 1st round,Eusebio finished 3rd......

Those are stats ,right?