Portuguese Teams In Europe

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Portista69, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    When a Portuguese team plays in Europe for UEFA competitions do u find yourself cheering for them or the opposition?
    Give me some feedback!

2. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I respect everybody's opinion, my I pull for all the portuguese teams, yes including Sporting and Porto

only with total points Portugal can get 6 teams in the Uefa competion, with these years record we my lose two teams in the Uefa competion in the next 2 years, its been a bad year so far

Porto losing today didn't help, I hope Benfica and Sporting can pull some of the slack

was nice to see Braga, Maritimo and Nacional in these year competion

3. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm going to be honest. I cannot cheer for sporting or porto. Truth is, I want sporting and porto to lose all their games. I don't think there is anything wrong with cheering against teams you hate. If I came here and said I want them to win, I'd be lying, that's why I don't post anything in sporting's or porto's club forum or European forum. I believe there are people here that really want their rivals to do well in Europe, but there may be others who say that they want their rivals to win but deep down want them to lose. I have no problems with non-Benfica fans not cheering for Benfica.

4. Briosa a frente

Briosa a frente New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    I respect that comment however outside of the superliga I support all of the Portuguese teams. I honestly think that people who would not support other teams because they are their biggest rival should get a life it is afterall just a sport. I love Futebol, but it will always finish beind family and friendship.

5. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I put Portugal first always. When Braga was eliminated from Euro I came hear and wished Benfica and Sporting the very best of luck, even though I wanted Braga to be the best PT team in the tourney. Benfiquistas who boo'ed Porto durring the champions league finals show how blind people can be. By that I mean any Portuguese Victory outside of Portugal benefits Portugal weather your tem does it or not.

6. LuisCamoes

LuisCamoes Red Card

Jul 25, 2004
    Boston USA
    I respect your opinion but It saddens me. We should realize ANY team doing well for us in european competition is doing well for PORTUGAL its like when someone insults your brother , you can do it but if someone else does you knock there teeth out because no matter what your diffrences are theres a big picture, in that case, family, in this case, Portugal.

7. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well anybody that has read my other posts will know how I feel about this. I want all Portuguese clubs to do well in Europe. Like it or not, when Porto did all it has the last couple of years it has benefitted the Superliga and Portuguese futebol in so many ways and in a massive way as well.

I do understand why some Benfica fans continue to spew forth such venom vs FCP, but as I've stated before it doesn't look good on them at all. Shows a lot of insecurity and jealousy. Any time any Portuguese club does well outside the Superliga its good news. And thats a fact not opinion.

I will also say however that there are even a lot of Porto fans even some that I know personally that do not share my view. A lot of them don't care for Benfica or Sporting to succeed in UEFA. But I don't subscribe to their way of thinking.

8. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    Why is it that you guys get offended if a fan of another team doesn't support all Portuguese teams in Europe? It's each person's personal choice. I want to see Benfica do well in Europe, don't give a damn about the rest. If I want to support Portugal as a whole, I do it with the NT. I'll be honest, I had a big smile on my face after Porto's loss yesterday. Anyone have a problem with that, it's too bad.

And Briosa, to say that people like me "should get a life" because we don't support all Portuguese teams is stupid, just as if I would tell you to get a life for supporting Academica would be stupid. Everyone's entitled to freedom of opinion and choice.

9. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    Why are you singling out Benfica fans. It's not like Sporting fans don't do the same thing. Why should you care what others think of your team anyway?

10. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I for one like to see all Portuguese teams playing in Europe do well. My fiercest rival is Benfica, and trust me I hate anything red, but when it comes to Europe I find myself cheering for them, even if it is slightly. Now, as for the SuperLiga, it is no holds barred - I want these teams, all of them, to lose, the worse the better!

11. Briosa a frente

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    Fair Comment, I should of explained my comment better. I am not indicating that you should support other teams with in the superliga. What I should say that when other teams from Portugal play outside of portugal (international competitions) you should support them. and if you can't because they are your rivals with in the Superliga, them "get a life" the external competition has no bearing on the rivalry within the liga.
    As for your Comment about supporting Academica alot of people tell me its stupid to support Academica because they will never go anywhere or win any championship. That may be true but I will support the team closest to my hometown and not some place where i have never lived, just because my dad/family may have cheered for them or they may have won a championship. This is IMO :)

12. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    NoNameBoys, you're not a true Portuguese! How dare you not support the other teams! :rolleyes:

Did you see that fish Baia? Not so good when teams actually blast shots on net instead of two or three floaters a game is he? :D

13. Briosa a frente

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    Sarcasm becames you Brian.
    I, like any and all other sport fans, will cheer/root for another team within my teams league/division/conference when they are playing a rival of my teams. therfore when you say that you will not cheer for another team that is a lie. we all do it. Also to say that you won't cheer for another Portuguese team in international competitions is how cam i put this idiotic. If you will cheer for another in league play why would you not for International play :)
    your right Baia is a fish :rolleyes:

14. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    My position on this subject is not obvious or well defined...

I have found myself celebrating Benfica's goals against Inter. But I also watched in amused disbelief when they crumbled to mighty Anderlecht.

I have cheered for Sporting against big teams... and I have laughed when they lost to Gencerwhateverbigli and Viking. Lately I have been mostly against Sporting because of Dias da Cunha and Liedson.

I think that If the game is against tough opposition I support all portuguese clubs... if not I am mostly indifferent.

15. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    Hey, you gotta relax a bit and just let it go. Yes, we all know that you support all the teams in international play.

I myself are indifferent to the other teams in international play except for Porto. I don't know if you know this or not, but I don't like Porto.

Yeah, what do you call that goal he gave up in the Luz on Sunday? Seems like any other goalie with talent would put deflect that over the goal, not slap at it. I guess he's just used to catching easy balls and coming off his line to catch the corners too.

Baia - Overrated.

Ricardo Carvalho of Porto - The real UEFA Goalkeeper of the Year

16. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    See, this is what I was trying to say. A lot of people do laugh and kind of get a kick when their rival falls in international play. This doesn't make them a bad person. Just indifferent like you said.

17. Briosa a frente

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    Just don't Berrate Baia to much the Porto fans will get upset :rolleyes:

18. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    well i always wanted to all portuguese teams win in tehir european games, but i'm sick and tired of many Portistas, cause they want to see Benfica losing all the games, now i dislike Porto, i can't stand them, and i wish them all the worst..burn in hell all u selfish Portistas that thinks that Porto is a nation

19. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    Good enough, and as far as you supporting Academica, anyone who calls you stupid for that is just a plain idiot. Portuguese soccer in general would be a lot better if teams outside the big 3 would have more support. More power to you.

20. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Say what you want about Baia but the GK on your teams will NEVER win as much silverware as him. :D
    So to laugh and make fun of him is ridiculous. Noone has tasted as much success as him.