Portuguese Symbols

Discussion in 'Portugal: NSR' started by Cilindro, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Cilindro

Cilindro New Member

May 24, 2002
    I decided to begin this topic to show some portuguese symbols. I am waiting for contributions from the other posters.
    The Portuguese Cross of Christ. It has it´s origin in the knights of Templar, and later became the symbol of the Order of Christ (descendant of the Knights of Templar). It is one of the most important portuguese symbols:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That symbol is also on the Madeira Flag

[​IMG]

Its a nice looking symbol .

3. Cilindro

Cilindro New Member

May 24, 2002
    Indeed. For me the Portuguese Cross of Christ is more representative of Portugal than the national republican flag.

4. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    [​IMG]
    The Rooster!!! :cool:

I think its supposed to mean good fortune but Im not sure about that, if you guys know better what it means, go ahead and explain.

5. Cilindro

Cilindro New Member

May 24, 2002
    The portuguese monarchy flag (from 1834 a 1910). I don´t want to start a discussion about monarchy vs republic (maybe on another topic), but I think a referendum should be made. The republic was imposed without consult and by force, so it has no legitimacy (I really don´t know if I support the monarchy or the republic).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Cilindro

Cilindro New Member

May 24, 2002
    It is also the french national symbol.
    From Wikipedia:
    The town's famous symbol is a rooster, in Portuguese called o galo de Barcelos. The legend says that a rich made made a big party. When the party was over, the rich man noticed that his sterling cutlery was stolen by a guest. He accused an innocent guest and let him go to court. He protested his innocence, but the judge didn't believe him. A ******** was in the courtroom and the guest said: If I am innocent, this ******** will crow three times. Immediately, the ******** crowed three times and the guest was left blank.

7. DiaboVermelho86

DiaboVermelho86 New Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    My fave Portuguese Symbol/Figure is Zé Povinho, created by Rafael Bordalo Pinheiro.
    [​IMG]
    And the bonecos das Caldas always give me a good laugh.
    [​IMG]

8. Cilindro

Cilindro New Member

May 24, 2002
    LOL :D . But I was thinking of serious symbols.

9. geeko79

geeko79 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Toronto
    [​IMG]

everyone knows this, I think!

10. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Perhaps the most popular Portuguese Liqueur, and yes, it does exist:

[​IMG]

11. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    To me, the galo de Barcelos is the symbol of Portugal. I used to have a big ass Galo in my room when I was small but it broke years ago. I love that dam galo :D

12. geeko79

geeko79 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Toronto
    i know all kinds of people who are not portuguese, that have the galo do barcelos in their kitchen. I think thats the most recognizable portuguese icon. Even my Italian girlfriend has one above her stove. Everyone asks what it means....so I give them the low-down.

13. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Well... there was no public consult before the 1974 revolution, which imposed a democracy by force, should we also assume that our democratic government has no legitimacy? Should we go back to having a dictatorship?

Wait. Let me add this smiley :rolleyes: so everyone knows I'm trying to be sarcastic.

I'm no expert in political science, but I thought what made governments legitimate was the will of the people (preferably) expressed through the vote in free elections.
    And in the last elections the Monarchic Party received what... 0,0001% of the votes? I'm guessing that's the number of barons, dukes and counts wannabes in Portugal. Because, frankly, who else would want a democracy?

I know there are a lot of rich countries that have kings, queens and all those other pompous titles that accompany a Monarchy, but to me... the whole idea of God trusting his divine powers to some random family so that they have the privilege to command our lifes, generation after generation, no matter how imbecil and idiotic their inbred descendents may be.... just seems a bit absurd.

14. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Still can't rep you.

No more kings, unless I get to wear the crown and live in a castle :) .

15. Cilindro

Cilindro New Member

May 24, 2002
    I am just saying that a referendum should be held. People would vote what they want and we could put that issue behind our backs. The republic was imposed by force and so, in my view, has no legitimacy at least until the people are given the chance to chose what they want. I never said I supported the monarchy, but I am open to discussion.

16. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    It's good to be the king . . .If you're the king.
    Personally, I don't think I'm better than anybody else nor do I think anybody else is better than me, and by definition a king is better than everyone else. You would have to force me to accept a king by physical force or intimidation of the use of such. ( Not that difficult really, I'm unarmed :) )

17. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I've lived in Hawaii, and as many of you know there's a lot of Portuguese-Hawaiians . One of the symbols of Hawaii is the ukelele. As it happens ,it was the Portuguese that brought the instrument to the islands.
    Of interest too, the Wikipedia word you see above in the quote, the prefix Wiki , is from the Hawaiian language, it means quick. :)

18. Cilindro

Cilindro New Member

May 24, 2002
    I knew that were was a portuguese community in Hawaii but I had no idea that that guitar was of portuguese origin. Interesting.

19. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Did you know that chourico, or Portuguese sausage, as it is known in Hawaii, is served at the restaurant chain McDonalds. It's the only place that I know of
    that has it on their menu. :cool:

20. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    then you might know who dog the bounty hunter is :)

he is considered as the batman of hawaii saving alot of lives. :eek:

21. TO DEVILS

TO DEVILS Member

Jun 10, 2005
    Canada
  22. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    now we all know what the fuss was all about

23. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Since this is the holiday season, Bacalhau as Christmas food, is problably unique , but I don't know if it would qualify as a symbol. :)

24. FCPorto_Dragao

Jun 15, 2005
    E DUBs
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    it should, considering it means a whole lot to our culture...despite being our comfort food, when people think Bacalhau, some think of Norway...but I can almost guarantee that most people think of Portugal. I mean, we now how to cook it 365 ways...one way for each day of the year...and we have also made immigration routes as a result of this maginificent peixe...Portuguese emigrating to Argentina, U.S. and Canada...think about it, Corte Real probably never would have encountered the Americas if it wasn't for bacalhau!

25. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    OK. You talked me into it. :)
    IT'S A Symbol.
    BTW I think there's more than 1,000 ways of cooking the "velho fiel".
    Heck, I even like it raw tossed in salads.