Portuguese Super Youth Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by leafster, Nov 9, 2004.

1. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    So many individual threads about Portugal's young players that it's become difficult to track them down (I was looking for the Totti thread but gave up :eek: ).

So I thought a master thread would be a good idea where we can dicuss all the young prospects.

Anyways, the Portuguese Totti (Aritoteles de Carvalho) now has 9 goals to lead the Saints under-16 team in scoring after scoring the lone goal in a 4-1 loss to West Ham.

[​IMG]

Totti header from saintsfc
    http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/list.asp?lid=academy+news&navlid=academy

2. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Great idea. Remember Totti is only 15 years old and has scored 17 goals in all the games he has played ( Reserves, Exibitions, Under 17 )

3. Ibranco

Ibranco New Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Kingston, Canada
    Im sure frank would enjoy it if someone gave the updates on Magno Fonseca of Beira-mar. But ill just leave it at that and see what he writes back :)

4. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    you can take it to the bank Magno Fonseca will make it to the pro's before Paim :D

5. Ibranco

Ibranco New Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Kingston, Canada
    Would that not be because of the fact that Beiramar is a easier nit to crack then Sporting?

6. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Paim and Fonseca will be in the in the superliga in 2 years time to show themselves off so they can be sold to the highest bidder.

7. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    do you think they will be involved in the world youth championships in t.o really looking forward to see how the portugal players will turn out.

8. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    if they go to man u or an english team i will puke. why cant these players be developed in portugal i know its the money but think about youll get global recogition if your in a small market team. ex: vince carter plays for t.o outside of the us and still he generates millions. these kids have to step up any realize they are losing their mind if they think they can go far without waying there options. my two cents are done and im pissed off.

9. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I can't wait for that U-21 tournament in Toronto. I'm gonnna make it to as many games as possible.

10. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    wow! all that hard work really does pay off. thanx leafster. how about those leafs? oh wait theres no hockey season. thats sucks

11. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    ...and 1967 will continue to live on. ;)

But back to the subject at hand. Where do you think Portugal ranks in the world as far as quality and quantity of youth players? Are we set for a long time to come, or will it be a long time before we can have the sort of National teams we had in the 90's until now?

12. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Good idea, this thread should have all the news about our youngsters.

13. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You and me both, Portoholic!

14. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The youth teams that won for Portugal had players that developed in Portugal for a number of years before they went abroad. Nowadays, players are sold at a young age so that Portuguese teams can capitalize on the foreign teams that are willing to throw big bucks around to buy these youngsters. I guess it all depends on how these kids develop while in teams outside of Portugal. I for one think that there is enough young, good talent to compete with the likes of France, Argentina, Brazil, Italy and Spain, to name a few. I am not saying that we will consistently beat these nations, however we can compete with them. The under-19's showed this is possible last season and the under-21 team made the Olympic particiaption a possibility, so we have shown that we can play with the countries that have more $$$ to pump into their programs. It's too bad that Canada can't produce on this type of a level, or even close to it... :(

15. Briosa a frente

Briosa a frente New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    Is it me, this forum or is it just that the upcoming crop of players seem to be dominated by Offensive midfielders and striker(Maybe) and we are not hearing to much about Backs in the upcoming youth talent. I realise that Defenders take more time to mature, but still i have not heard to much about them

16. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I think people just get more excited by the offensive players so we talk about them more.

17. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Anyone know how Nuno Morais has been doing at Chelsea? I figure he must be on the reserve team :confused:

18. Briosa a frente

Briosa a frente New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    I vote that we get Morphy to be the head contributer for this thread. He seems to have a finger on the pulse of youth futebol in Portugal.

19. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I agree, Morphy's blog is quite a good source of info with pictures as well.

20. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Another attacker:

Filipe Oliviera
    * Date of Birth: 27 May 1984
    * Height: 5 10
    * Weight: 11st 11lb

[​IMG]

Latin flamboyance-a-plenty, an important season is in progress for this Portuguese youth international, now in his third season in London.

Able to fill any position that warrants an attacking emphasis, he needs to hurt reserve team opponents regularly with his skills in order to make the next step up.

http://www.chelseafc.com/Player.asp?plid=11624&nav=players&title=Filipe+Oliveira
    Chesea reserves fixtures: http://www.chelseafc.com/article.as...+-+Players&sub=Reserve+and+Youth&nav=&sublid=

Only 20 years old and playing for Chelsea's reserve team along with Nuno Morais.

21. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Ricardo Vaz Te

BigSoccer thread devoted to him: https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141068

Profile from Bolton Wanderers:
    http://www.boltonwanderers-mad.co.uk/news/loadfeat.asp?cid=ED32&id=126177

[​IMG]

"Everyone at Bolton has high hopes for young striker Ricardo who has made an explosive start to his Wanderers career when he hit eight goals in his first three academy games which imminently drew comparison's as he became known as Wanderers answer to Everton's Wayne Rooney. After moving onto reserve team football he was given a first team chance featuring in a number of games during the clubs Carling Cup run which included a role on the bench for the away leg Semi Final defeat against Aston Villa in January 2004. After making his first full start in the FA Cup replay against Tranmere Rovers he was rewarded with a late cameo role as a substitute in the Premiership defeat to Middlesbrough at the Riverside Stadium in April 2004 capping off a fine year of progress for the teenager who is expected to play an important squad role this coming year."

RICARDO VAZ TE STATISTICS

BORN: 01/10/1986 Lisbon (Portugal)
    HONOURS: Portugal U17 International
    FORMER CLUBS:

2003 Sporting Farense (Portugal)

22. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Daniel Candeias

Has 10 goals in 8 games with the Under-17 national team:

01.09.04 Gillingham Rússia 1/0 Torneio de Inglaterra Daniel Candeias

03.09.04 Gillingham Itália 1/2 Torneio de Inglaterra André Monteiro

05.09.04 Gillingham Inglaterra 1/3 Torneio de Inglaterra Daniel Candeias

24.09.04 Bielorrússia São Marino 8/0 Qual. Camp. Europa Miguel Carvalho, Ricardo Nogueira, Carlos Alves, Fábio Paim, Daniel Candeias (2), Ricardo Santiago e Daniel Carriço.

26.09.04 Bielorússia Malta 2/0 Qual. Camp. Europa Daniel Candeias (2)

28.09.04 Bielorússia Bielorússia 4/1 Qual. Camp. Europa Daniel Candeias (3) e Rui Pedro

26.10.04 Espanha Itália 0/2 Torneio 4 Nações -

28.10.04 Espanha Espanha 2/4 Torneio 4 Nações Daniel Candeiase Lino Gonçalves
    http://www.fpf.pt/seleccoes/futebol11/masculino/sub17/historial.php]

23. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Generally you can spot a creative player or a good shooter, etc...

Defenders are harder to gauge untill after you have seen them for a while.

It is abit easier to look good as a foward then as a back.

All fullbacks tend to get beaten at one time or another. Also most youth players play multiple positions.

24. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I hope we qualify, but then its not important, just check the team we took to the Olympics

25. morphy

morphy New Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Porto
    Wow. Thank you! :)

I have a few contacts and some passion for the subject...
    But I'm "slightly" biased towards fc porto players :)