Portuguese Players Playing Abroad - Thread No. 5 [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by vilafria, Oct 23, 2008.

1. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
  2. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Helder Postiga scored another beauty for Real Zaragoza

3. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nelsons back for Real Betis after missing the first half of the season with injury, before he got injured Napoli were going to sign him in the summer....

He scored the winner today.

Nelson> Joao Periera

I wouldnt mind him at all at RB, so long as he's back to form which saw him off to Napoli before the deal was canceled when he got his long term injury.

4. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    In terms of offensive ability without a doubt. It baffles me how horrid Perreira is at crossing. But Perreira is better defensively and has balls of steal.

5. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Miguel Garcia marca na vitória do Orduspor ( Turk. )

6. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Nelson scored the winner for Real Betis

7. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Coentrao has rarely showed his flair, pace, and crossing ability for Real Madrid this season...I miss the runs and ability he showed for Benfica:(

8. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah I have noticed this as well. I think it has to do with the mentality that Mourinho has instilled with him. He is alot more defensive, probably has to do because sometimes he plays DM as well.

9. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Even not considering that, just the fact he's not playing regularly as LB can mean a lot in how confident his runs forward are.

Edit - Also, perhaps he knows Marcelo will be the better of the two going forward so he's more concerned in showing the defensive solidity that might get him the spot.

10. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Manny Fernandes had a really good game today for Beskitas. 2 assists, the 2nd a beauty.

Simao also scored in the tie.

11. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    So are you guys Portuguese?

12. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Coentrao is getting killed by Mourinho. He's too reserved. And Manelele deserves a spot on the NT, the guy is working hard.

13. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Bruno Alves was the only Portuguese starter in the match between Zenit and Benfica.

14. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  15. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007

I also hope Nelson goes to Euro 2012. He's a quality right back and can even play Left back.

There's a chance he will be called up for the Poland game...he's been pre-convocado.

http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=316468

16. Ventilan

Ventilan Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    This.

Today, Besiktas won Gençlerbirligi by 3-2, with goals from Quaresma, Hugo Almeida and Manuel Fernandes; Fernandes scored the winner when it was 2-2.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uK9ZP5C3WA"]Be?ikta? 3 - Gençlerbirli?i 2 (19 ?ubat 2012) Özet - YouTube[/ame]

17. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Allow me to disagree. This was against a team that until they beat Sporting in the UEFA Cup a few years back, none of us had ever heard of. As far as I'm concerned, there's no place for Manuel Fernandes unless he wants to adapt to a #10 spot, because defensively he didn't and still doesn't have what it takes to break the squad when you look at other options (like that guy you may have heard of, RAUL ********ING MEIRELES).

There's no place for him, same as there isn't for Almeida. These players have had their chances already, move on and forget. I find it absurd how the same people saying we need to get rid of some of the older players, how we need to cultivate our younger players go out and then say Manuel Fernandes who's had over a handful of chances to prove himself, should get yet another chance. I'd rather we take a look at guys like Paulo Machado, Vieirinha, Bruno Gama. Never had a chance, and they've worked as hard as Manuel Fernandes in teams that weren't built up by Portuguese players and a Portuguese coach. Any half-talented Portuguese player could walk into that team and look amazing. I refuse to be impressed by Fernandes.

18. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Nunes scored for Mallorca. Why he never got called I don't know.

19. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Machado? I can see your point of view, however I think Machado is terrible, not sure if he can even crack the line up at Toronto FC let alone how he can play for Toulouse.

I would rather Bento leave the Manager position come out of retirement and play, before I would let Machado see the field. Enough sarcasm, but yeah he sucks.

20. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Meireles has been pure garbage for chelsea lately....culminating in a vomit inducing performance today before he got taken off vs Napoli.

Looks like he reverted to Meireles version 1.0(2010 and below):D..not tje 2011 meireles at all.

21. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    gotta agree, haven't been that impressed by P. Machado

22. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Ricardo Vaz Tê scored for West Ham United.

23. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Vazinator sporting a mohawk. LOL!

[​IMG]

He has 13 goals in the season. Who knew he'd be this good.

24. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Why do you hate him so much? The guy is a pure stud. I don't get it. Anyway, guys like Helder Barbosa & Vaz Te are showing some potential, bento should take notice. It's all about finding the right mix of players, we're not gonna be a contender fielding the same scrubs who are underperforming, replace them with energy player who work hard. It's time for a change.

FYI: As for Vieirinha, I've been saying for the longest time he deserves a spot... he deserves it.

25. Ventilan

Ventilan Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica

I thought you were kidding.

Anyway, Manuel Fernandes is an immense talent who doesn't need to "prove himself" further (he did so enough at 20 years old playing as a starter week in week out in the Premier League). He fell short considering his initial potential, but he is nonetheless an impressive player whose versatility and overall attributes are overlooked by many, including, unfortunately, our National Team managers.