Portuguese Liga with no respect for the national teams

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Frank Cunha, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    for schedule games on Sunday and Monday
    with national teams playing on Tuesday and Wednesday

JOGOS DE DOMINGO E SEGUNDA-FEIRA PREJUDICAM ESCOLHA DO SELECCIONADOR
    Scolari critica comportamento da Liga

A marcação de jogos da Superliga para domingo e segunda-feira foi hoje criticada pelo seleccionador português de futebol, visivelmente descontente com Liga Portuguesa de Futebol Profissional (LPFP).

"Ontem ia convocar um jogador para substituir o Miguel (dispensado devido a lesão), mas como ele era do Guimarães não o pude fazer", lamentou o seleccionador lembrando que a formação minhota jogou ontem à noite em Vila do Conde (1-1), dois dias antes do Luxemburgo-Portugal, do Grupo 3 europeu de qualificação para o Mundial de 2006.

Segundo Luiz Filipe Scolari, o seu trabalho, bem como o do técnico dos sub-21 (Agostinho Oliveira), foi prejudicado pela LPFP, isto depois de, com grande antecedência (seis meses), a Federação Portuguesa de Futebol, por intermédio do director desportivo Carlos Godinho, ter apresentado um programa detalhado.

Apesar deste contratempo, maior ainda para as esperanças - face aos muitos jogadores do Sporting que actuaram domingo (6-1 ao Boavista, em Alvalade) -, Scolari não tem dúvidas: "Temos de ganhar e pronto", finalizou, pouco satisfeito.

Data: Terca-Feira, 16 de Novembro de 2004 19:54:00

2. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think that the respective leagues should help out the NT's by having all games played a full 3 days prior to a NT match. The SCP-Boavista was played Sunday; the NT plays on Wednesday. That's 3 days, so I don't see what the Portuguese FA or coaches have their knickers in a knot. The Rio Ave x Guimaraes match should have also been played on Sunday, but neither team has a player on the "AA" team anyways, so what is the big deal if they plyed on Monday, 2 days prior to the NT game?

3. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think that the respective leagues should help out the NT's by having all games played a full 3 days prior to a NT match. The SCP-Boavista was played Sunday; the NT plays on Wednesday. That's 3 days, so I don't see what the Portuguese FA or coaches have their knickers in a knot. The Rio Ave x Guimaraes match should have also been played on Sunday, but neither team has a player on the "AA" team anyways, so what is the big deal if they plyed on Monday, 2 days prior to the NT game?

4. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think that the respective leagues should help out the NT's by having all games played a full 3 days prior to a NT match. The SCP-Boavista was played Sunday; the NT plays on Wednesday. That's 3 days, so I don't see what the Portuguese FA or coaches have their knickers in a knot. The Rio Ave x Guimaraes match should have also been played on Sunday, but neither team has a player on the "AA" team anyways, so what is the big deal if they played on Monday, 2 days prior to the NT game?

5. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    From all the major leagues in Europe only in Portugal we play from Friday to monday or even Tuesday... Sporttv owns the the league and the teams, so i think this is going to happen until someone with power says to Sporttv that the games have to be played in 2 or at maximum 3 days.

6. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Sporttv doesn't own the teams, but owns the rights to televise games. They will however dictate when the games should be played in order to capture a better audience. They always like to disperse games across the weekend, and not televise more than 2 on any given day. This is way we have games on tv Fri thru Mon.

Since FIFA set up the dates for World Cup qualifying well in advance, it would seem logical for teams to adjust their schedule accordingly, but in the end TV dictates.

I long for the old days when game were all on Sunday, and you had to listen to the Radio.

7. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    I was trying to be ironic when i say sporttv "owns" the teams ;)
    I have sporttv, so for me its fine to have the games in several days, but isn´t the same thing like we had in the past when we all knew that all games were on saturday and sunday, the attendances were higher in most of the teams and everyone knew that Saturday night or Sunday afternoon were dedicated to football.

8. Briosa a frente

Briosa a frente New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    The Big deal is that one could argue that the League believes that these teams are not good enough to provide the national team with any players and this assumption would have been made prior to the beginning of the season.
    So what message does this send to the fans of those teams.