Portugals Euro 2008 Roster

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by quinas1139, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    WTf are you talking about.

Before Maniche was called back we tied ARMENIA WITH THE COVETED "RAUL MEIRELES" patrolling midfield.

vs poland and serbia maniche instigated almost all our attacks, and was one of our top players, our midfield fluency was starting to comeback with him. not his felt raul meireles and moutinho both came on during the last stages of those respective matches TO REPLACE HIM and guess what....they tied.

with maniche we won 3 games in a row where he was always one of the few who no one complained about.

vs finland him and veloso were superb together, while meira was horrible as d-mid.

where the hell are you getting this from?

2. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Look like I said maniche has done well for us in the past, but after re accessing his performance in qualifying he looked done. It's time to move on. The only problem I have with the roster is Petit. He's crap and shouldnt be a starter on the NT let alone on a club. I have never seen one thing from Petit that has impressed me. That being said I dont think Petit will start at the Euros. Miguel Veloso deserves to be the starter, he's superior to Petit in ever facet of the game. My concern with Veloso is he tends to disapear at times during the games.

3. ThespecialoneJM

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

WTF are you talking about? Maniche was constantly Losing possession and looked gassed for most parts of the game. He didnt look impressive at all. The game where he looked good was against finland where The Finns were constantly pinned to their half of the field with Miguel Veloso, Maniche and Fernando Meira doing an exceptional job of controlling the midfield.

4. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    Exactly, the most important game of all, the last game. As usual Maniche comes up big.

But you say Maniche sucks and that Scolari is a genious...
    So if Maniche started the last 6 games one of your comments is incorrect....

5. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    I guess Petit is in form, has played more and has contributed more to the NT then Maniche....

6. ThespecialoneJM

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I already adressed the Petit point. He's shit.

7. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    Then maybe you should take more umbrage to Petit's inclusion then to our not liking Maniche being excluded.

8. castanha

castanha New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Our midfield does look weak. Hopefully, Cristiano, Quaresma and Nani can wreak enough havoc in front of the goal to cover for that weakness.

Can somebody tell me where Manuel Fernandes plays in the midfield for Everton? He used to be a DM for Benfica, but does he still play there? I’m trying to think of who are our midfielders of the future that aren’t on this team now. He’s about the only one I can think of. I think Paulo Machado could be useful in the future. And Pele.

Doesn’t seem to be a new Rui Costa around the corner. I guess that’s asking for a lot.

FORÇA PORTUGAL!!!

9. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Watched alot of Everton this season. He plays as a CM, but with defensive responsibility. So he does come back, but he is in a more advanced position most of the time. I still think he could play that box to box with Veloso sitting in behind him.

10. santos6

santos6 New Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Fernandes has all the tools to be the best box to box midfielder we have but lets see if he transforms into it, that in mind he should have had a spot on this team.

11. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Stupid he wasn't picked for the team. He is one of the best passer to come out of Portugal.

12. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Of all the names being thrown around here, who should have been called, and who shouldn't, only one name really matters: Ronaldo! Portugal will go as far as Ronaldo takes them.

I understand one player doesn't make a team, but think about how much easier life will be for the other 22 players if Ronaldo is playing like the best player in the world (which he is very close to becoming).

13. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Maniche, whether he is in club form or not, works his ass off for the NT. he works hard and proves himself. Hes a different players when he's wearing the NT jersey.

I agree with Benfica fan. Considering the year Ronaldo had at ManU, its all up to Ronaldo to carry us. If all our players play to their full potential and Ronaldo plays like he does on ManU, we have ntohing to worry about.

Fernandes would of been a great asset in the midfield. We need a good DM. he could of contributed more than Petit at this point. Veloso and Fernandes could have done some serious damage working together in the DM/CM position.

14. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    holy momma...

let's try to disguise our pain by enhancing the positive of Petit and Postiga inclusion :D

I'll start:

Petit - He's a veteran, hardworking midfielder that pressures the opposition quite well.

Postiga - A mobile forward with good pace that knows how to hold the ball efficiently.

Damn, one sentence per each is alot! I'm impressed with myself :eek:

P.S.: I probably lied...

15. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    ??? In the past two tournaments Portugal hasnt scored much, so if they made it far its because our defense allowed less goals then goals we scored....so I think they deserve some credit.....

16. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This is true, we get farther playing smart and responsible as opposed to the old style which was go for highlight reel goals in qualifying then lose and not make it into Tournaments.

If our defense could be as good as it was in 2004 and to a slightly lesser extent 2006 then we have a great chance of winning regardless if Ronaldo is tearing up defenses throughout an entire game. He only needs few opportunities to make an impact anyway. I still say Nani and/or Quaresma will have a break out tournament and while Ronaldo will be the driving force they may be the ones to steal the show.

17. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    Yes thats going to be how we win, the defense & Ronaldo performing to their best abilities and one of our other wingers finally stepping up.

18. SSLBenfica

SSLBenfica New Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Eh Pa
    who else is going to send the dutch packin, ooooooooooo mannnnnnnniche
    "score... Scorcher, sensssssssational goal for portugal"
    "and its one nil to portugal, and its the man who scored the winner vs the netherlands 2 years ago, Maniche"

moutinho n merieles are garbage bud, pff only decent vs the teams of the Super liga, which aint so super.

moutinho was brutal v rangers.

if they see the pitch, we will be down a man.

MAAAAAAANNNNNNNICCCCCCCCHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

19. SSLBenfica

SSLBenfica New Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Eh Pa
    ========================Me
    Bosingwa ======== BAlves ======Carvalh======= Miguelito

=====================Veloso

Ronaldo ============ Deco ========== Quaresma

================ Gomes=== =Almeida

20. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    Me & Miguelito are not on the squad.....

21. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Rumours that Miguel might be on his way to M. United. This is good news!
    By WC 2010 80% of the squad will be playing in the Premier League therefore improving our team chemistry. And I lost my point in trying to make this look sarcastic...just fell down to my senses, this might be a harsh reality in the future.:eek:

22. SSLBenfica

SSLBenfica New Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Eh Pa
    ... and you sholdnt be near these forums cuz
    1. miguelito= miguel
    2. Me = me cuz ricardo sucks

23. Figo_7

Figo_7 Member

Feb 7, 2007
    I hope he does, and by that I mean he's not stuck on the wing like he was in the WC.

Funny how about a month after such a dry world cup he broke out as a prolific goalscorer.

24. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    1. I didnt know you knew him like that :rolleyes:

2. Ricardo does suck...I prefer Quim

25. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah we don't want most of our Seleccao players playing in one league.