Portugal x Saudi Arabia - International Friendly [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Fahad_Talal, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMSM

SMSM New Member

Sep 14, 2005
    www.55a.net
    Joelzinho lol dear why you hate pitet !!

for me i dont like any season ..but from this seasm he play great and many time i cant beleve he pitit ..wow he score from FK ..he win many ticly in MF ..

and benfica against man and liver he win because pitit ..wow i like play play all match with far for he short team ..like some anuther player in Euro ..

gatoso elc ..

2. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    for me...Petit is an angry little french kid, that makes dangerous tackles. His free kicks are nothing special, I'll take Ronaldo, Simao, Quaresma, Figo, Deco, Fernandes over him....

I will give him this though, he works hard as hell and doesn't back down to...well, I have never seen this guy back down.

3. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't care much for Petit but his free kicks are better then those listed.

4. simao20

simao20 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    SoCal
    I would pick petit over Maniche, Tiago, Costinha.

He is in excellent form especially in the CL...him and Beto ;)

5. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    The game was poor mainly due to our lack of effort and a miserable pitch...
    Ronaldo did a great game he was everywhere and always giving his best.
    Nuno Valente and Miguel also impressed me they did a good job.
    About the others they were ok, Quaresma could have done better especcialy with his crosses, i liked Petit and i believe he and Costinha would make a good duo on our midifield giving more freedom to Deco, Ronaldo and Figo, Maniche is just out of form like Costinha but Costinha at least did some tackles...

So about the 23 going to the WC...
    GK
    Ricardo
    Quim
    Bruno Vale/Paulo Santos

D
    Paulo Ferreira
    Miguel
    F.Meira
    R.Carvalho
    J.Andrade
    N.Valente
    Caneira

M
    Costinha
    Maniche
    Petit
    Tiago
    Deco
    Simão
    C.Ronaldo
    Figo
    *Quaresma/Boa Morte/Hugo Viana

A
    Pauleta
    Nuno Gomes
    Postiga

So we have 21 players the other 2 missing could be Quaresma and Boa Morte or Hugo Viana or could be one of these 3 and a suprise call. I think Scolari would like to call Hugo Almeida but he isn´t playing with us, not that he isn´t the man who call players that aren´t playing...

6. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That's actually quite debatable...

7. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Also about people complaining about Viana, let's look at shear statistics.

Deco assists today: 0
    Viana assists today: 1

Well yesterday, but it's still food for thought.

8. Ronaldo07

Ronaldo07 New Member

Mar 2, 2005
    after seeing the goals, i'm suprised nobodys noticed how mad Ronaldo looks when he scores, he doesn't even celebrate either. i wonder why?

9. FCPorto_Dragao

Jun 15, 2005
    E DUBs
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    a la Thierry Henry maybe

10. Daniel_Alves

Daniel_Alves New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Porto, Portugal
    And we have Pauleta as well.

But for long freekicks, Ronaldo and Petit are the best we have.

11. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    So using your logic Maniche scored. Did he have a good game?

12. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    nah he usually celebrates like crazy. I think he knew it was just a friendly against an "inferior" oppenent and didn't want to see to cocky. I liked it, he kept himself humble.

13. Virgo

Virgo New Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Beto scored against Man Utd.

Even Michael Thomas scored a screamer for Benfica once.

14. geeko79

geeko79 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I thought it was a decent game, but the pitch was coming apart with evey step taken...horrible!

Ronaldo had a good game and has been playing well for MU in the last 4-5 games.
    Figo was solid if unspectacular, but was being hacked by the saudi's
    Deco was his usual cunning-self.
    Costinha had a quiet game, not a bad one just quiet and effecient, but he needs to find some 1st team club play or he won't get called up.
    The defence was solid, but it seems Valente was running in slow motion. Caneira came on and looked good.
    Miguel had a real good game and his movement along the flanks will cause problems for opposing teams.
    Pauleta always has his friggen back to the net...he needs to get more involved in the play build-up or at least make some runs off the ball.
    Maniche had a decent game, but he is no Deco.
    Petit....did he even touch the ball? He is such a hack. Although he is one of the few players that will rip a hard bullet at the net, outside of the box rather than walk it in.
    Viana, had a real solid 45 mins and was palying on both sides of centre with both his feet equally as good. I thought he moved the ball well. Probably the best performance out of the subs that were used.
    Quaresma....o man, so frustrating!! Use your damn left foot! not one of his crosses made it into the box. It was a disappointing performance.
    Postiga had a soso game, nothing impressive.

my 2 cents

15. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Maniche had a good game regardless of the goal. That's a poor question.

I never said Viana had a better game, mind you, you took it upon yourself to believe I did. All I'm saying is, people called him useless, though in reality he did something Deco didn't do, which was have an assist, and it was a lovely pass, and I DARE you to show me the last time Deco had an assist like Viana's yesterday. Viana's playmaking is as good if not better than Deco, he just needs some pace, and learn where to be on the pitch.

16. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Learning where to be on the pitch is probably the most important aspect of playmaking.

17. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Viana doesn't compare to Deco>Deco he is a magician:p

What I hate about Viana is how lazy he is?

No work Ethic,No Heart and Really fades away in game even with Valencia.

He is a bust just like Dani and why I dunnot:confused:

18. CR7!

CR7! New Member

May 19, 2005
    Viana's doesnt really need to work on his pace as you can be a world class #10 without it, i.e. Riquelme. His problem is as jec said, laziness, coupled with his unagressiveness, which just results in him roaming around the field and letting the game pass him by. We will see what happens when he finds his ass back in Newcastle, since Valencia will have Edu back and have no use for him. The only thing on his side is his ability and his age, if only he would want for it to happen and put in the necessary effort, he could become class.

19. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I Agree, Viana is a very talented player just he needs to put in the hard work and "the eye of the tiger"(lol) and he can be a great player trust me when he is on his game he is a very good player.
    I hope he lives up to his potential, I see him as a player with lots of potential but so far has lived up to very little of his potential.

20. Bento

Bento New Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Mississauga
    ronaldo doesnt have the most accurate shot. on the other hand, maniche should be given the chance to take those long ones, hes got a cannon.

21. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I finally had the chance to watch the game, and here is my 2 cents:

First off why hold the game in a stadium that isn't hosting any WC games? I found this rather odd, as I am sure they could have played at any of the 12 Stadiums that are part of the WC pool.

After seeing the kits on TV, I can't say that I hate them nor can I say that I love them. I hate to sound "wishy-washy" but they didn't blow me over but they did have some appeal to them. I still would rather see green shorts, but...life goes on...

As for the game, I just want to write Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldo...he is playing like a man possessed. I just hope he doesn't wear himself out before June. He was utterly magnificent, and if there were any doubts how high he can elevate his game, this friendly was proof.

Figo played well and had some good moments, Deco was his usual self, Pauleta had a few good moments and does truly work hard up top. Costinha didn't look bad for not having been involved in competition since November. Maniche didn't have the best night but wasn't awful. His goal makes it seem like he played better than he did in the total scheme of things. Andrade and Meira looked solid with only a few instances of not covering Saudi scoring chances. Miguel had a few good runs and looks extremely fit, Nuno Valente looked like a new man, fit and trim. Though we didn't see too much of him, he wasn't awful.

The Saudi GK was an enigma...made some great saves and then made some gaffs...the final scoreline could have been much greater as the Saudis while having a few very good technical players just don't have the defensive capabilities to play against this caliber of team. I like the Brazilian influence and you can see it in the manner in which they play, but they leave themselves wideopen sometimes and the score could have easily been 5 or 6-0.

As a final note, Quaresma should have used this oppurtunity to show himself a bit more, Ronaldo gave him every chance but he either was nervous or not sure of himself. Viana had moments of brilliance and will be the most likely candidate to make the final 23. Quaresma will probably make it as well. Caneira came in late, and was his usual steady self.

All in all not an outstanding performance, but Portugal won comfortably. I am not sure this was the right opponent to play as their style in no way mirrors the Iranian style. With so many Iranian players in Germany they would have been better suited playing a Euro Team.

22. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Hey, you are not allowed to post any more opinions about the players, as Aveirenses has already posted his opinion. There cant be any more.

23. Atlantic-Pearl

Atlantic-Pearl New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    that's exactly what i was thinking.karimi, zandi, mahdavekia , to name a few, are all iranian players who play in the bundesliga and they are used to facing european opponents...not a single saudi player plays in a decent european leage, if they play in europe at all.portugal should mentally prepare themselves for stronger opponents when they face iran.

btw, can someone please tell me why costinha was the captain even though figo was playing :confused:

24. UltraViseu

UltraViseu Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Strong Island
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

s a gesture of solidarity by the coach and the squad. It shows how united this team is. kind off saying hey costinha we r with you,

25. Atlantic-Pearl

Atlantic-Pearl New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    did something happen to costinha?