Portugal vs Sweden Nations League 2020 G4

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by JoseEmidio, Oct 8, 2020.

?

Result

1. Win

100.0%
  2. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Diogo Jota right footed shot from the center of the box to the bottom left corner. Assisted by William Carvalho.

William Carvalho with any luck will be back with his fitness by the time we face France

NewLaw83 and JoseEmidio repped this.
  2. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The only manger that hás won anything AND then X2 and still over the top idiotic commentary, sure criticize I do too, but to change the manager with his Record is ********ING STUPID!!! Fernando Santos is MESTRE DE SELEÇÃO. Top of the group with France, Croatia and Sweden after 4 games, 3 wins and and only one draw, second ever draw (in a 90 minute) game against France away.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  3. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    100% agree!

JoseEmidio repped this.
  4. HandofAbel

HandofAbel Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2017
    eu estou aqui
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #104 HandofAbel, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    Santos has his flaws, but I agree that there isn’t any remote reason to move from him yet.

His record as the most successful Portuguese national team coach aside, I for one will not devalue the attitude of belief, and of settling the objectives at the highest standards he instilled into the team.

He said it after his first game in charge, a friendly loss in France. He said, “ we will be here in the final next summer, and we will take the trophy home”. This is now Portuguese football lore, but don’t undermine the message that sends to the players. He let then know that we have the quality to win a tournament, and no other goal should be acceptable.

Compare that to Scolari, who took one of the most talented teams in the world to a tournament on home soil, and what did he say the objective is? The semifinal. That was the bar he set for us. Why didn’t Scolari tell that team that they had the quality to win, and that what should only objective?

Ronaldo himself in the famous locker room speech after the Euro win noted how much Santos’ belief in the team affected him.

Seriously, all things considered, who has been a better national team coach? I loved the way we played under Oliveira and Scolari took us to being a consistent top level side, but c’mon, Santos deserves a statue in front of the cidade do futebol.

5. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    A Dinamarca foi esta quarta-feira ao estádio de Wembley vencer Inglaterra, por 1-0, em partida da 4.ª jornada do Grupo 2 da Liga das Nações.

Eriksen, aos 35 minutos, na conversão de um penálti, apontou o único golo do jogo, já depois de Maguire ter recebido ordem de expulsão, aos 31’, por acumulação de amarelos.

No outro jogo do grupo, a Bélgica venceu, fora, a Islândia, por 2-1, e isolou-se no primeiro lugar.

Lukaku bisou (9’ e 38’), o segundo golo da marca de onze metros, pertencendo a Saervarsson, à passagem do minuto 17, o tento da formação da casa.

Classificação:

1. Bélgica, 4 jogos/9 pontos

2. Dinamarca, 4/7

3. Inglaterra, 4/7

4. Islândia, 4/0

Os Grandes Inglaterra e Bélgica

6. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Quite funny seeing how people still criticize Santos’ team selections every single game.

lovely win, nice performance

JoseEmidio repped this.
  7. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Wait, what the f are you guys talking about? Who the hell wants Fernando Santos out?!

Madness.

8. Super Dragao

Super Dragao Member

FC Porto
    Portugal
    Oct 12, 2020
    Toronto - (Rogers Road) and Northern Portugal
    I think Santos biggest issue now , imo, is that he needs to get this team
    To not defer to Ronaldo so much. It is hard but honestly these guys don’t need to think they have to pass every attacking opportunity to cr7. Fernandes , Bernardo, jota , Felix, etc can all score goals.
    If that is fixed we will be as strong as we can be.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  9. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Fernando Santos, is a REALIST, that was what was missing, minus Scolari, the attacking player need not defend, when Ronaldo is the Best defensive headerer of the ball, when Scolari, had a Brazilian old school way of winning, when the attack was soo good the defense was in second gear (even though the defensive Brazilian side in 2002 was great). Chances are How? long Will we wait for another coach to win two titles when it took 100 years to win two and both in two years under Santos? Some people have no conception of time, I am sure after Spain won Two Euros and a WC the Spanish thought this would continue forever, what happened, no Xavi/Iniesta no medals.

HandofAbel repped this.
  10. Super Dragao

Super Dragao Member

FC Porto
    Portugal
    Oct 12, 2020
    the England fans online think they are Favs for Euros and constantly shit on Portugal.

I hope Portugal
    Crosses paths with England in the euro and destroys them.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  11. johnboys

johnboys Member

Jul 15, 2001
    N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously Felix is very talented. Im just waiting for a sign/a switch too turn on

Way too many times when he plays he seems like he's going through the motions. He will get there and if not then next man up that's all

12. Super Dragao

Super Dragao Member

FC Porto
    Portugal
    Oct 12, 2020
    Scolari enabled the old inferiority complex
    And that’s what cost us the euro 2004
    Trophy and at least a chance to play the World Cup final in 2006 against Italy with a legitimate chance at winning that.

******** that asshole

13. HandofAbel

HandofAbel Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2017
    eu estou aqui
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #113 HandofAbel, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    The England national team board on Big Soccer is currently venting much frustration. It’s quite a scene over there actually.

14. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Santos and Ronaldo need to give way to more interplay, although it is hard to do this and still have a front man like Ronaldo, but the transition, from Ronaldo into a front mobile 3 (be it Bernardo, Jota, Podence, Rafa, Silva [less mobile]...) is in a process of happening), Ronaldo should be used after a year or two (or three) as a super sub.

15. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

What does the fact that he is the most overrated player in history have to do with his club? Where is the "clubismo bullshite"? My premise is simple: this dude is not worthy of a call-up. He is overhyped. If you're referring to the fact that I believe the only reason he is hyped this much was because he was an SLB player and the Portuguese Pro-SLB bias hype machine blew this dude up beyond his actual skillset, then I'm not sure what to tell you. I wouldn't call that clubismo. It's simply fact.

Bernardo and Cancelo, both SLB products, are insanely talented and amazing football players.

Sanches, Felix and Rafa? No. So why do they continue to get call-ups? Why do you think.

16. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    You’re clearly on the wind up :ROFLMAO: read every single forum with England fans on and I tell you now they don’t think they are the favourites for the euros. A growing portion want Southgate out and don’t think they’ll be anywhere near winning it

17. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

NewLaw83 repped this.
  18. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Had a Quick look after the Danish result, but their trouble was ours before Fernando Santos, people are ungrateful hacks, poseurs, artificial critics...I would not change FrenaNdo Santos for ANYONE!

19. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    Maybe it's because everyone north of Lisbon is inbred? Could be genes?

/joke

20. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    They won’t do anything under Southgate, he’s changed the mentality around the England squad and has given opportunities to younger players and a wider variety of players like Conor Coady and Danny Ings. The problem is he’s taken the squad as far as he can as he’s very limited tactically. He should step aside and they should be grateful for what he’s achieved and how he’s changed the mood towards their national team, it would be the best for all involved

Although they’ll never have anyone as good as our Fernando!!

21. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    I agree, but he did make mistakes in the last world cup, the team he chose was a disaster. He chose players that were unfit, lacked matchplay etc. He chose with his heart instead of his head. Looks like he's learnt his lesson though.

22. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    SCP_16 man you sound like a broken record.

It's painful to read your posts. We get it, you hate Benfica and you hate Felix.

We get it.

AlexJones19 repped this.
  23. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I have said for a while, i really do believe Portugal are the best team in the world right now.

We have held Italy, France x 2, Spain, among others scoreless. What i thought may be a weak leak (CB) is turning out to be just fine.

We are deep. Talented. Young. No one has much talent/depth as Portugal at this moment.

Felix does concern me. I dont think he should be starting. This has been a problem for a while now. Seems to 'not care' or maybe even think he is special or something.

Since it seems like he will be starting and IF i was Santos.. i line up:

-Jota-----Ronaldo---Felix
    ------B.Silva---Bruno
    -------William/Danilo

24. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    England are pretenders. Their fans think Rashford is good. If you wanna talk about the most overrated player in football look no further than that guy

25. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Don’t get too hyped up over Jota. As shown in Wolves he scores 2-3 goals then dispersed for the next 8-9 games. I am willing to give him an excuse though that wolves play terrible defensive football

it remains to be seen if he can consistently play well. Although one thing I will say is that the wolves fan on here who said podence is better, please retract that statement