Pre-match: Portugal vs. Sweden 2010 World Cup Qualifier 28/03/09

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by F.P.F.4life, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    vs Sweden I'd like to see the following formation.

Miguel - Meira - Alves - ? (Duda)
    Ronaldo - Pepe - Maniche - Simao
    Danny
    Gomes​

We have to get the full 3 points, especially with no Ibra for Sweden.

2. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yikes, you don't want Carvalho at the back? He'll be back from injury. Bosingwa is playing amazing I can't see the argument for Miguel though his last friendly wasn't great and PF upstaged him at RB. Those two take turns being good RB's.

----------------------Eduardo-------------
    Bosingwa------Carvalho----Pepe-------Duda

--------------Maniche----Mendes--(he should be back)
    Ronaldo-------------Deco/Danny-----------------Simao/Danny
    ------------------------Almeida/Gomes/ (who cares just sub in Orlando with 20 minutes left)

If Pedro is not called then having Tiago or Fernandes would be ok if you want 2 trincos, which I don't but lord knows there will be.

I think 1 trinco works amazing, Braga uses it and we have the best defense (despite losing 4 first choice CB's) and a strong offense. 2 trincos stifles the attack and makes players get complacent.

1 Strong DM General like Maniche would make us both strong defensively and lethal on attack....but CQ and Portugal are stuck in their ways. We need to score yet lineup for defense *sighs*

Believe me when i say this type of lineup would generate tons of goals/possesion and limit the opposition in attack

----------------------Eduardo-------------
    Bosingwa--------Carvalho----Pepe-------Duda
    -----------------------Maniche----------------
    Ronaldo-----------------------------------Simao
    -------------------------Deco-------------------
    -------------------Danny----Sa------------------

deco and Maniche always show up as the players who cover the most distance in a game so don't let that space between them fool you.

3. obscene

obscene Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Tri-State
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    [​IMG]

There isn't a better player to pay homage to before the biggest Qualifier in Portugal's history, because we need GOALS!

4. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ah how Ironic this will be.

5. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If only we were playing Luxembourg

6. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    Honestly our current NT team, couldn't beat beat Luxembourg, 6-0 or 5-0.
    So don't take any credit away from Pauleta, he's a proven player, and not only on the NT. Still better then anybody we have, just like Figo.

7. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Sure we could, but we line up with DM's that refuse to go forward.

I was looking over the Albania, Sweden and Finland game thread and it's amazing how I repeat myself on players (I type as the match goes on, nothing pre meditated) and the way the team plays with CQ. We lined up 3 DM's vs Albania when they didn't attack, We lined up 2 DM's vs Sweden and they didn't attack, we lined up 2 DM's vs Finland and they never attacked, only when Maniche came on did we actually push forward in any of those games.

Also my commentary on what Moutinho does in each game is hilarious. He makes so many stupid blunders, wins no balls and kills every attack by playing back. In every game he does the same crap. Nothing, Nothing, Shoot well wide, turn and pass back. What a lion! :rolleyes: Meireles is the same crap. We we have holding mids that think 0-0 is the best score when we need goals. Retarded, we could of had Zico making us play as an offensive unit like he's doing with CSKA.

8. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    There you go with the typical Moutinho bashing. The kid eventhough I can agree his shooting has lot to be desired, he's a great position player, a great passer, and great at recovering. This is why IMO he should be a DM, and not a number 10. But the kid can play.

9. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Just keep playing him against Braga, that's the only time I want to see him on the field.

10. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    Of course I want Carvalho if he's healthy. He didnt play again today.
    Bosingwa is playing amazing, yes....but thats just for Chelsea.

11. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    when has he played bad for Portugal? :confused:

12. F.P.F.4life

F.P.F.4life New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  13. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Quaresma looks alot sharper under Guus, he seems to be very hungry as well
    alot of our player are coming into form eg Fernandes, Mendes. Tiago, Simao etc which should hold us in good stead with this game fast approaching.

I do believe that CQ has brought some very good signs to the NT, the Denamrk game was ours but we fell alseep at the last, that why we are backtracking now, but its pretty simple now beat sweden or start booking holidays somewhere other thatn South Africa. Ibra is a big loss and i dont see Sweden coming at us at all to be honest, from their perspective a draw would be amazing and really put pressure on portugal. So with that said attack must be on the minds of CQ and pacy full backs and CM will be key to nullify the swift counter. Alves should be looked a as an option, the Swedes will look to really maximise the set piece scenarios. With all that being said this would be my lineup, but CQ wont have the balls to do it.

----------------------------------Fernandes-------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Pepe-----------Carvalho-----------Alves-----------------Bosingwa------------------------------------------------------------Duda
    ----------------------------Maniche------Mendes--------------------------
    -------------------Ronaldo---------------------------Simao----------------------------------------------------Danny---------------------------------

Fernades for his great heaight and ability in dealing with set pieces
    3 centre back because all three have the ability move forward and join the attack but also defend quick breaks. I like the quality of crosses both bosingwa and duda get in, with three CB it will give them more freedom but also will mean they will track back on counters. It would allow Ronaldo to get more central when we are camped in the oppositions half which we all know will happen in this game. Mendes is amazing and so underated he should be starting and the captain of this side IMO. With this side we would overwhelm Sweden every single player is quality and play th style of fottbal needed to break teams down.

14. F.P.F.4life

F.P.F.4life New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree with everything you said great line up
    Im a huge fan of Fernandes in goal but he does need experience and was a bit shaky against Finland. But the crazy thing is his height. Portugal always had problems with high balls and headers. Fernandes is perfect yet I would prefer Eduardo against Sweden. We cant take risks. Eduardo has been consistent.

Quaresma has been in great form scoring in Chelsea reserves and assisting in two straight matches. Tiago and Maniche too but Simao played terrible yesterday against Real Madrid. Probably not terrible i exagerate but he didnt play very well. But he should be called up for important qualifiers since he changes the portuguese left wing.

I just dont get your formation what is it
    a 5-3-2
    4-3-3 ?

if its a 5-3-2 would be good since we need to defend well and not lose this game. THey might not have Ibra but Kallstrom is in a good form. Elmander is ok

15. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Are you retarded? he was our best player that game. Brazil stopped playing at his wing and exploited PF on the left all second half. They did everything to stay away from Bosingwa. He took the ball in the first half and ran through their entire midfield. they didn't have 1 goal come from his side, they didn't even get a decent play through him.

I think people just make up things in their heads when making decisions on player performances. It's right there for all to see.

16. F.P.F.4life

F.P.F.4life New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Look good dead lets not swear on the forum, comes to nothing. I dont know what your talking about that he was the best player for Portugal since he was far from it. He kept attacking leaving the right flank wide open for the first goal. So what are you talking about not one goal came from his side (Also Pepe´s retardness trying to turn around.) The rest of the game it was all Quims and Paulo´s fault but bosingwa was far from being the best that game. He kept letting in Robinho.

As far as we all in this forum want to forget that game. Portugal played terrible but it didnt deserve to be such a bad result. Mostly Quims retardness.

GoodDead its useless us argueing in this forum since we all here are here to discuss opinions not commenting on each other.

check this links

the player ratings by professional journalists:

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/82/south-america/2008/11/20/972932/player-ratings-brazil-6-2-portugal

the video highlights:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns5OlBfavr0"]YouTube - Brazil vs Portugal 6-2[/ame]

17. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I asked you a question I didn't swear. Many of your posts just confuse me.

You post a link and go on about Bosingwa having a bad game and prove nothing. Pepe had the ball on the first goal and should of done anything with it. Other then someone kicking the ball up field away from Bosingwa's possesion that went to Pepe how exactly did Bosingwa cost us that goal? That was in midfield where Pepe should of cleared and where there was no marking at the top of the box by the time Brazil got there. Where in the video is there any proof to Bosingwa being beaten by anyone other then that turnover in midfield where he couldn't handle a pass?

Your claims are unfounded. Bosingwa isn't God but he hasn't had any bad performances for Portugal. Certainly none that would cost him his starting role.

18. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    What?!?! Were it not for Aguero's terrible finishing (3 one-on-ones -> 0 goals), Simao would have finished with 3 assists on that game. And he tracked back. He was running on fumes but he still played his a$$ off. This against a Real Madrid with 10 straight wins and at the Bernabeu.

Also, for those of you quoting "Goal.com" ratings... you've got to be kidding. Those ratings are awful...

19. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He was also the one who released the ball to Aguero to start the break as well. Simao has been playing well for Atletico, I think I want him on the wing come Sweden game time.

20. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Simao has been a very solid consistant player the past couple of years.

21. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Hes always that, never a liability, never a moment of Brilliance, at least for the NT.

22. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    His cross to Postiga vs England was brilliant enough for me :D

We need him on the NT because he is a team guy. When we load on the game changers they have no support.

From a possesion team orientated formation and lineup that also provides tremendous attack this would be our strongest line up.

------------------------Eduardo------------------
    Bosingwa--------Carvalho-----Pepe-------Duda
    ---------------Mendes-------Maniche---------------
    Ronaldo-----------------Deco------------------Simao
    -------------------------------Danny---------------

If we insist on a 4-2-3-1 then Almeida/Gomes/Postiga shouldn't bother be on the team as they are most effective with supporting strikers. Having a quick forward instead of out and out striker makes much more sense and gives players options. Danny can switch with Ronaldo or Simao in relation to how the game is going, you can't do that with any of our other strikers. If Sa was a little stronger and faster he would fit the mold of Danny. He seems to have better vision, at least for his age. The kid does have a head on him but is not a starter.

When Bosingwa pushes up a guy like Mendes provides great cover if a turn over occurs. Pedro actually wins balls unlike some midgets we have at DM.

Also note that the entire side are team players who support each other aside from Ronaldo who is most dangerous when he has a cast to support him. When Quaresma or Nani plus a striker are out there the offense lacks balance as you got 3 guys who need loads of support and only 3 players to supply it to them all. Add to that the stay at home DM's that refuse to advance the play and it's no wonder we get nothing done offensively.

23. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    SA scored which can only boost his confidence.

24. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    I like that lineup except for Danny. I think playing Danny as a sole striker is an experiment and I'd rather not experiment in such an important game. I'd rather see him as an early sub for Deco. Deco needs fire under his a$$ to play well - he's already a 2nd choice at Chelsea; having Danny biting at the chomp to replace him might actually motivate Deco to play like he did long ago with Porto and recently (Euro's - when he _needed_ a new contract).

As far as Simao, if he is healthy, I'm 100% sure he'll start. He's experienced, he's having a great season and he delivers a far better dead-ball than Deco. Quaresma, to everyone's astonishment, has add a good start at Chelsea. If his confidence continues to improve, he might be the guy who subs in for Simao. Who knew?! Certainly Nani has had a mediocre year and his latest game was horrible (I hope he was sick).

So, who to put up top? It's got to be Almeida. He may not be the most talented FW but he's the only one who's actually a starter on his current team. Send him a few decent crosses and then sub him out at ~60-70 minutes - either for Nuno or - a gamble - Sa.

25. Benfica4Life

Benfica4Life Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Queiroz escolhe 38 jogadores para Suécia e África do Sul

O seleccionador nacional, Carlos Queiroz, pré-convocou 38 jogadores para o embate frente à Suécia no próximo dia 28, no Estádio do Dragão, jogo a contar para a qualificação do Mundial de 2010 e para o particular frente à África do Sul na Suíça.

Destaque para o regresso de Ricardo e a chamada do guarda-redes do Leixões, Beto.

Lista dos 38 pré-convocados

Guarda-redes:

Hilário (Chelsea),
    Beto (Leixões),
    Ricardo (Bétis),
    Eduardo (Sp. Braga),
    Rui Patrício (Sporting),
    Daniel Fernandes (Bochum).

Defesas:

Gonçalo Brandão (Siena),
    Bosingwa (Chelsea),
    Ricardo Carvalho (Chelsea),
    José Gonçalves (Nuremberga),
    Bruno Alves (FC Porto),
    Rolando (FC Porto),
    Fernando Meira (Galatasaray),
    Nélson (Bétis),
    Pepe (Real Madrid),
    Miguel (Valência),
    André Marques (V. Setúbal).

Médios:

Maniche (At. Madrid),
    Deco (Chelsea),
    Raúl Meireles (FC Porto),
    Danny (Zenit),
    Tiago (Juventus),
    Duda (Málaga),
    Nani (Man. United),
    Pedro Mendes (Glasgow Rangers),
    Rúben Amorim (Benfica),
    João Moutinho (Sporting),
    Manuel Fernandes (Valência).

Avançados:

Edinho (AEK),
    Simão Sabrosa (At. Madrid),
    Varela (E. Amadora),
    Ricardo Quaresma (Chelsea),
    Eliseu (Málaga),
    Cristiano Ronaldo (Man United),
    Orlando Sá (Sp. Braga),
    Nuno Gomes (Benfica),
    Hélder Postiga (Sporting),
    Hugo Almeida (Werder Breman).

Take your pick guys. Best lineup/formation...