Pre-match: Portugal vs. Sweden 2010 World Cup Qualifier 28/03/09

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by F.P.F.4life, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah we got the short end of the stick on that deal..lol

2. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    Petit scored on a good header this week... In Germany... :eek:
    Who knew?!

3. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Did he do the double nose spit afterwards. I think I hate french people all over the world. Look at what Quebec has done to me.

4. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You probably wouldn't have that mustache LOL

BTW word to the wise, regularly get rid of that thing or you WILL lose your upper lip. I know of 3 older gents who recently taken off their staches and they look way older as their upper lip has deteriorated. Scary stuff Joels, shave that thing off!

Pires, Mexes and we managed to hold on to Petit. Mexes is ok, Pires would of been phenomenal Petit is a hack. Let's just try to stay out of France altogether.

5. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    haha, Well I have naturally plump lips anyways. But I shave it now occasionally just to switch it up, the girls says it tickles their private parts when I am down there...lol

Agree'd.

6. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nice 1-2 play from Aguero to Maniche back to Aguero for the winning goal vs Barca.

Makes you wonder what a Trinco was doing so high as a Supporting striker? and why didn't Maniche just turn around and play the ball back to the defense instead of playing for a goal? I guess I just don't get it when it comes to Defensive Mids :rolleyes:

Now that the sarcasm is done with, Maniche's biggest plus is his ability to make himself an option. Aguero was all alone and poof there is Maniche to supply support.

Now if we could only get an Aguero of our own we'd be set.

Fingers crossed we see some Aguero like signs from Sa tomorrow although he's more of a Tevez like forward.

7. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    The game was crazy fun (unless you like defense... :) ).

Simao played well too, especially given who he was up against (D. Alves). And he helped a lot on defense. He was practically a LB at times to help the shambolic back 4 of Atletico. Defense from a winger?! What a concept!

Aguero... hmmm. Tevez, Rooney. Pees of a pod. Queiroz would give his right n*t to have access to that mold.

8. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Perhaps why he is already calling up Sa. Orlando needs to get much stronger and assert himself into the game more. The touches he gets are great but he's only had 1 start to date and many 15 minute or less appearances. I like the fact that he is a Forward learning to play mid rather then a mid learning to play Forward. Generally mid fielders get lost in the box and Forwards don't have a clue what to do out of it. The Tevez/Rooney type is hard to come by because most Forwards never bother learning how to help.

9. Quaresma

Quaresma New Member

Aug 1, 2003
    Steeltown
    Maniche-Fernandes-Tiago- some in form mids finally.

Deco just needs to step up now and we'll be ok so long as we get a good dmid coming through the ranks.

Simao vs Danny for the other winger spot..im leaning towards Danny solely because hes more ombile and quicker then simao..fits with Ronaldos style more as both have the same sort of movement and could fit in on either side or in the middle no problem..and would probably support the forward better...Danny has good crossing too.

Question is in the mid..who will be the most defensive minded or will Pepe play there again?

-----------------Eduardo--------------------
    ---------Carvalho---------Pepe--------------
    Bosingwa--------------------------------Duda
    ----------Fernandes-----Maniche--------------
    -------------------Deco-----------------------
    ----Danny--------------------------Ronaldo----
    ------------------Almeida----------------------

Carvalho-Pepe are secure enough to play with no dmids as ibra is missing the match..and we just dont have a good D-mid and i like that CB pairing too much to break it up..plus Meira is horrendous as Dmid

Subs:
    Meira
    Alves( must admit he did an amazing job on Aguero..cavaman should play that good every match!)
    Miguel
    Mendes
    Tiago
    Meireles
    Nani
    Simao
    Sa
    Gomes

10. F.P.F.4life

F.P.F.4life New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Im watching the Braga-V. Guimaraes game so i could see our new number 1 in action and I cant help but notice how Nuno Assis is playing. He is a pretty good free flowing player with great passes. He is old yet isnt Deco too? I think we should try him out a bit for some easy qualifiers and call up Manny because he has really been on form. BTW Eduardos UEFA cup appearences have been great. He seems like a consistent goalie.

11. castanha

castanha New Member

Aug 5, 2004
    Glad top hear Nuno Assis is playing well. He did net a hat trick a few weeks back. However, I don't believe he is NT quality.

Although, Benfica could have have saved all the transfer money they spent on Aimar and just kept Assis. They would have been no worse off.

12. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree.

13. No Name Boy

No Name Boy New Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Me too.

I also think Luis Filipe should be our RB instead of Maxi. :)

14. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think they would of been better off with Assis.

15. No Name Boy

No Name Boy New Member

Jun 21, 2008
    I think Nuno Assis should play next to Deco in the NT. :)

16. D.I.P.

D.I.P. Member

Jul 8, 2008
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    http://www.record.pt/noticia.aspx?i...&idCanal=00002452-0000-0000-0000-000000002452

Carlos Queiroz: «Ronaldo tem de render mais»

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    Carlos Queiroz revelou esta terça-feira que quer ver Cristiano Ronaldo a 'render mais' na Seleção. 'Tem de render mais, não há razão para que ele, o Nani, o Simão, o Maniche ou o Tiago não rendam na Seleção aquilo que rendem nos clubes. Não há nenhuma razão para que isso não aconteça', afirmou o selecionador de Portugal.

Could it be that this man is finaly growing some "colhoes" and is going to start calling out these "superstars" especially the "best player in the Manchester uni... i mean World" ??? I sure hope so its about time somebody starts to put these little premadonas in their place!!! Play hard or dont even bother walking onto the practice field...

I would rather queiroz play a bunch of youngsters who will play hard and probably not make the world cup, than to have these guys who claim to be the best and never show up when it matters for the selecao blow it anyway...

17. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I don't know about the whole calling out thing. I mean its not like Ronaldo doesn't try, or is lazy in the jersey, rather he try to do to much, and gets himself in difficult positions.

18. addz90

addz90 New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What do you guys think of liedson being our ST? he would bring the spark we need upfront.. I know hes Brazilian and we should stick to our own kind but i wouldn't mind him, he could be an option for a few years while our youngsters mature.

19. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nooooooo

But do I ever have the feeling that Quieroz wants him for the Sweden game.

20. ThespecialoneJM

ThespecialoneJM New Member

May 13, 2008
    San Jose
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I dont think its because he's trying to hard....

21. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    *sighs* Queiroz always blames players when things don't go right. How about motivating his players or coming up with tactics that push us to attack instead of holding on to the ball at half all game.

22. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    When is evryone going to realize, that Queiroz is a great trainer, and maybe the best in the world. But when it comes to managing he fails, and has proven it time, and time again.

People keep holding on to the golden era with him, but it's one thing coaching 20yr olds, and another managing a NT full of overpaid egos.

23. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Overpaid... :rolleyes: are the best Lawyers, Engineers, Financial Analysts, Best Building Project Managers, Actors, Singers, Architects, Designers, overpaid as well?

The only people that are generally underpaid, are SOME Doctors, especially in those countries where Health Care is public. Social workers as well.

24. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's not ego that's ruining Portugal right now. They look more lost then full of themselves.

25. quinas1139

quinas1139 New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    NJ & PA
    I agree....Aimar has been a big dissapointment.
    Especially with all the injuries.

Benfica should sign Eliseu, they need a right winger.

Reyes on the left, Eliseu on the right, Martins in the middle!

But anyway, why are we talking about Benfica here?