Portugal vs Germany Quarterfinal- Euro, 2008 [R]

Discussion in 'Knock-out Phase' started by masto22, Jun 18, 2008.

1. masto22

masto22 New Member

Apr 27, 2008
    We are almost sure that Portugal is a better team than Germany.
    Can the history be so important?

2. WorldCup_Fanatic

Oct 30, 2006
    Re: Germany vs Portugal

Cool. I was just about to create the thread for this. Looking forward to the match-up.

3. 1shot1kill

1shot1kill Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Netherlands

1 of the few Germany matches where I will be supporting the Germans.

4. BigHeadTodd

BigHeadTodd New Member

Jun 18, 2008

Hi all....first time poster here so take it easy on me please. :) Fun to read (since the '06 WC) and now be a part of a truly world-wide message board.

Really looking forward to this matchup. I think Germany has some concerns for this QF....they are pretty banged up (with Frings broken rib, and Podolski's calf in poor shape), and will be without coach Low. Portugal on the other hand is well rested and appear to be in pretty good form. Portugal plays with such grace, Germany is so powerful and usually, somehow, someway is successful in the later stages....I can't wait.

How would you fans (of Germany especially) assess the play of Super Mario for this tourney? I was really looking forward to watching him and I must say he has been very unimpressive....super he has not been. Overwhelmed? Just outplayed? His whiff and then laziness on that perfect ball from Klose was just brutal.

Why not start Schweiny and put Podolski (if he can play) up front with Klose, and bench Gomez?

BHT

5. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Crap!

6. Little fairy

Little fairy New Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Essen,Germany

I´m so hoping Blöd is right with this german line up:

[​IMG]

7. drahnier

drahnier Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Sweden

Is that lineup trustworthy?

Frings being in it is the biggest thing, without Frings this match is much closer to being screwed.
    And the putting Ballack right behind the attackers instead of a second attacker might be good because Ballack hasn't been going forward enough.

Of course Hitzlsperger sure isn't great.

And either he or Frings would need to go forward a lot during attacks, but Frings is good offensively too.

8. Little fairy

Little fairy New Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Essen,Germany

Its Bild, they have their football spies everywhere. The last line up against Austria were 100% correct...hours ago before Löw annouced it. Great tactical strike of Löw and needed in this match imo.

Well to Frings: There are only 2 possibilities: Löw have to bound Frings on a lamppost before entering the stadium to hinder him from playing or Frings will play. This ridiculous little injury won´t stop him on his way to the title. Noo not a Frings. :D

But to be more serious: Rolfes will come in then. 1th sub for Frings when he isn´t fit. Well as fit you can be with a broken rip...

9. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

great quote from Platini as your sig... :D
    Concur with the rest of your post. Frings could very well start and be subbed at half. This might be a waste of a sub but not as epic a lossas bringing in Odonkor while losing to Croatia...

As far as Rolfes...sheesh, I'm not sure. I mean if Mario was nervous v Austria how would Rolfes do v Portugal in a QF??

10. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Germany has sort of been crap so far, but that said, 2-0 for Germany.

11. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Will Podolski play? I've got him in my fantasy team. :eek:

12. blueguitar322

blueguitar322 Member

Jun 30, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Go Deutschland!

13. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Low's appeal has been rejected and he'll be confined to the stands; I believe he will also be banned from the locker room.

For yapping at the 4th official? Seriously, unless he said " 'S' my 'C' "* that is a supremely stupid decision by UEFA.

*[link NSFW]

14. Brehme

Brehme Member

May 16, 2006
    The funny thing is that according to both coaches the fourth official did not understand english and they both tried to make clear they want to stand up to coach their teams but he always wanted them to sit down and not walk around in the Coaching Zone.

Accoridng to the UEFA, Hickersberger and Löw shouted at each other. It is obvious the fourth official did not udnerstand the situation at all. Hickersberger even went to the german coaching zone to make clear that if Löw has to leave he will leave to as an act of solidarity.

15. blueguitar322

blueguitar322 Member

Jun 30, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    From what has been made public (there's always the chance we won't ever hear some important detail), terrible decision by UEFA. I don't know many offenses by a coach that should even be punished by both a sending off AND missing a game.

16. blueguitar322

blueguitar322 Member

Jun 30, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    BTW, even Scolari is calling for an overturn of that ban:

Pretty class.

17. Rui_GENIUS_Costa

Rui_GENIUS_Costa New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Switzerland
    Portugal needs to break the Germans down :D Grind them to the ground. I can dream atleast.

18. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A portuguese victory is not a dream, it's rather the likely outcome of this game. :(
    I don't know the actual line up of the german team. But I think depending on this its 60-40 or 55-45 for Portugal.

For me Germany can only win this through penalty shoot-out or if they somehow manage to shut down the powerful portuguese midfield.

19. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Portugal hasn't played a REAL team yet.

Germany 2 - 1 Portugal

20. Branc3399

Branc3399 New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Harrison
    Portugal and Germany will play a great game today and the winner will be in the Finals.

21. stiffmeister

stiffmeister New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    I say 3:1 for Ze Germans. It's about time for Klose to score, or at least have 2 or 3 more assists.

22. Pit-182

Pit-182 New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Modena, Italy
    IMO tonight Portugal will disappoint a lot. I can't predict the final outcome, but I Think the Scolari's team won't play good football.

23. TheGrimSweeper

Jul 16, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    All of Portugal will tremble with the return of Bastian Schwarzenegger, I mean Schweinsteiger

24. Buschkauz

Buschkauz New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    im Pfälzer Wald

cant wait for the game, almost impossible to predict a winner. may the best team win!

25. magalhaes1976

magalhaes1976 New Member

May 16, 2006
    Lisboa
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well, it seems majority are backing Germany on this one. IMHO it can go both ways, my great concern is our GK & our defense at set pieces. Germany has taller players than us and we already suffered a goal from a similar team (Czech Republic) in a corner.

For our side, I think if we can control midfield, our flankers can wreck havok on that slow German defense (especialy because Lahm likes to go offensive so much), we had more days to prepare (don't really know if it will make a big difference) and our players look pretty confident.

I respect the German team very much (even when they are crap compared to their old teams) & hope history doesn't get in the heads of our players.

Gl & hf

2-1 Portugal.