Portugal to meet England, September 7

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Selecao2002, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
  2. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Hope Portugal take the game serious.
    Portugal vs England should be a good game between two different styles.

3. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    I would think Portugal will take the game seriously for a couple of reasons:

1) That game could very well mark the debut for the new coach of the seleccao, so I am sure he would want to get off to a successful start
    2) After the embarrassment in Korea, Portugal really needs to get itself going in the right direction, especially with EURO 2004 less than two years away
    3) There are going to be a number of players who are trying to impress the new coach and win positions on the squad. Let’s face it there are some openings at goalkeeper, central defense, central midfield (assuming Costa is not himself) and wing midfield (assuming Figo is still out of action)

Figo, Rui Costa and Pauleta will all be around 31 by the EURO 2004, so the new coach has to consider his alternatives. Expect to see a number of players given opportunities in the timeframe leading up to the tournament.

4. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Against England we better take our best team, or we are going to get kill. Mix of veterans and youngesters..

5. benfica_74

benfica_74 New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    mass
    the new coach

what do you guys think about manuel jose? i think he sucks!madail and his politics are annoying me! humberto comeback!

6. dtoste

dtoste New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    San Jose Ca
    I'd like to see Viana in that game! It would be great to see him play against the country of his new home!

7. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Don't be surprise if Filipe Oliveira the under 19 international, that plays for Chelsea gets the call.
    He continues to play well he also scored in last weeks game.

8. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    I think it is a little premature for Felipe Oliveira. After all, he has yet to establish himself on the first team at Chelsea. And, he was just named today to Portugal’s U-19 team that will participate in the Sub-19 Tourney of Japan, August 8 – 15.

http://www.maisfutebol.iol.pt/futb/...038&mf_club=0&num_jog=0&p_sondagem=0&p_voto=0

Viana, on the other hand, could be a starter for this team. I also hope Ricardo is put back into his rightful position as the starter in net.

My crack at the starting lineup, assuming everyone stays healthy and Figo is still not up to speed.

Ricardo
    Frechaut – Andrade – Couto – Rui Jorge
    Petit – Viana
    Sergio – Rui Costa – Simao
    Pauleta

9. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada
    I say

Ricardo
    Frechaut-Andrade-Couto-Riu jorge
    petit-Vianna
    Conceicao-rui costa-figo
    Pauleta

then
    thell sub
    gomes-Pauleta
    figo-simao
    Ricardo-quim

10. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Its time to give Cafu a try.

11. PortoMarco

PortoMarco New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Montreal/Porto
    Frank I love reading your posts on this forum. Your enthusiasm when it comes to posting in these places is very encouraging, but I think you just went off the deep end my friend ;)

Cafu? Cafu? This guy is nothing more than a runner, he has zero ball control and worse yet....a Joao Pinto/Capucho like disorder when it comes to scoring goals (aka he can't).

No no no...not Cafu...I am shocked and appalled that no one here has mentioned the next "big thing" in portuguese futebol as a candidate for the England game. none other than...St.Helder Postiga.

12. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    We need more Porto supporters
    I do agree with Postiga and Cafu, I think by 02 and 04 Pauleta will be only a nice sub, if at best.

13. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Somebody got be different.

14. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Yes, but let's face it -- Nuno Gomes would be next. Postiga looks like he is going to be a star, but Nuno is in line to take over the 9 position.

15. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Nuno Gomes could be like another Fernando Gomes.

16. PortoMarco

PortoMarco New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Montreal/Porto
    I never did, nor do I yet, understand the hype behind Nuno Gomes.

17. benfica_74

benfica_74 New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    mass
    porto is only a provincial team, they are dead, now as long as pauleta goes, A SUB?????? ahahahahah hes the best portuguese forward!

We need more Porto supporters
    I do agree with Postiga and Cafu, I think by 02 and 04 Pauleta will be only a nice sub, if at best.
    [/QUOTE]

18. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    We agree on something. I still say is like Fernando Gomes. Fernando Gomes never played against some of the new teams from the old Soviet Union, he would scorer a ton.

19. benfica_74

benfica_74 New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    mass
    nuno gomes does not play well enough for what he gets paid! what did he do in italY???nothing, he needs his career to be relaunched, and not milk benfica or sporting!

20. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    If you depend on Pauleta to save Portugal in 2004 and 06, get ready for more big disappointments.

21. benfica_74

benfica_74 New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    mass
    pauleta saved us in the poland game WC 2002 dont forget that...

22. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I'm sorry but he didn't save us in the USA, and Korea game.

23. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Pauleta is a nice forward, but is no forward for a Benfica, Porto or Sporting team.

24. benfica_74

benfica_74 New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    mass
    hes no forward for porto benfica or sporting...but hes the PERFECT forward for one of the best french teams??? and by the way its not pauleta against korea and usa its THE TEAM IN GENERAL!

25. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Who can't compare Marselha, to Benfica, Porto and Sporting. You can play for the best teams in the World, but when you arrive at any of this three teams you got to produce, or they will eat you out for dinner. In Marselha and some other places you can hide, they don't even know you exist.
    A example look what's happen to Jardel, in 3 months.
    The men his begging to get out of Portugal, he can't take it no more.