Portugal rank #8 in the World

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Frank Cunha, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    The Euro had a lot to do, and Portugal jump 9 spots since last December, Portugal his tied with Mexico for the 8th spot

BRASIL CONTINUA NA LIDERANÇA
    Portugal mantém 8º lugar na classificação da FIFA

A FIFA revelou hoje a habitual classificação mensal de selecções. Portugal mantém-se no oitavo lugar, agora empatado com o México.

Recorde-se que Portugal se encontrava na 17ª posição em Dezembro de 2003, tendo subido 9 lugares desde então, em virtude da participação no Euro'2004 e das vitórias no grupo de apuramento para o Mundial'2006.

Classificação:

1 (1). Brasil, 847
    2 (2). França, 802
    3 (3). Argentina, 784
    4 (4). Espanha, 775
    5 (6). República Checa, 768
    6 (5). Holanda, 758
    7 (7). Inglaterra, 752
    8 (10). México, 743
    8 (8). Portugal, 743
    10 (8). Itália, 736

2. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    England were we go :D

3. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    How is Spain still ranked 4th after what happened at the Euro cup and their last game against Lithuania in which they lost? :confused:

4. pollardfreek

pollardfreek New Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Modesto, CA
    Mexico is so overrated. They don't deserve to be top 10. Top 15 might even be a stretch.

5. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Holland has a terrific collection of players, however I feel they are ranked too high at #5. They didn't qualify for WC 2002 and lost in the semis at Euro.

Just noticed they are #6. They were #5 last month.

6. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Mexico is one of only 4, count em, 4 teams to reach the second round of the last three WCs. Others are Italy, Germany, and Brazil. IIRC Portugal has not made the second round since the 1980s. So if Mex is overrated, how far down the list should Portugal be. For all of the perceived lack of quality directed at Mexico, they play pretty well in the big tournaments.

Granted, Portugal have a slew of talented players, but that alone is not enough.

7. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I have nothing against Mexico, but although Portugal stunk at World Cup 2002, they have made it to the Euro 2000 semis and Euro 2004 finals. Not too shabby.

8. CrisRicHeldTiago

CrisRicHeldTiago New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    By the time World Cup in Germany kicks off, Portugal will surely be ranked higher than Mexico. And the entire conversation of who should be ranked higher among the two...will be nothing more than a moot point.

I do think Mexico have some quality...but Portugal are a better team. There aren't too many people who would argue that [besides Mexicans of course].

9. CrisRicHeldTiago

CrisRicHeldTiago New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    By the time World Cup in Germany kicks off, Portugal will surely be ranked higher than Mexico. And the entire conversation of who should be ranked higher among the two...will be nothing more than a moot point.

Mexico are a quality side and one not to be laughed at. But Portugal are a better side. There aren't too many people who would argue that [besides a few Mexicans of course].

Portugal
    - Euro 1996 quarterfinalists
    - Euro 2000 semi-finalists
    - WC 2002 (qualified)
    - Euro 2004 (finalists)
    - WC 2006? (first place after 4 qualifying matches)

10. Roy Da Silva

Roy Da Silva New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    I do not know about you. But i would love to see a Mexico vs Portugal matchup at the World Cup.

11. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    The best match up is Italy or Brazil vs Portugal

Mexico has a good team but not at par with Portugal or Italy. Theres no way Mexico beats these two teams head to head in a best out of 3, 5, or 7 series (not that they exist in soccer but in one game anthing can happen). Based on the current rankings I would say Mexico should be 12-15th and Portugal is on target at #8.

12. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Argue the strength of schedule all you want..

Portugal definitely doesn't merit to be ranked higher based on international performance. The obvious killer, Mexico being ever present at the past 3 World Cups in which it advanced to 2nd round each time.

Mexico
    -Copa America '93 2nd place
    - USA '94 Winners of Group E / Eliminated 2nd round
    - CONCACAF Gold Cup '96 Champions
    - CONCACAF Gold Cup '98 Champions
    - France '98 Eliminated 2nd round
    - Confederations Cup '99 Champions
    - Copa America '99 3rd place
    - Copa America '01 2nd place
    - Japorea '02 Winners of Group G / Eliminated 2nd round
    - CONCACAF Gold Cup '03 Champions

I left off the Confed Cup prior to it being named that AND Copa USA.

Not that they mattered.

Just chiming in, don't be alarmed.

13. Zamphyr

Zamphyr Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless FIFA holds to their mystical formula and Mexico gets seeded while Potugal doesn't.

14. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    It's been done:
    Portugal vs Mexico
    [​IMG]
    Episode #5F01 is about a Portugal vs Mexico foot match, at Springfield. Homer is in for Portugal, and the entire city is expecting a decent meeting... that will turn out to be so slow that the spectators revolted and destroyed everything on their path, from the stadium to Springfield's downtown.

In fact, the whole city BURNED to flames, that day (but it was to be reconstructed in time for episode #5F02

http://www.arturmarques.com/old_news/2000/news_07_august_2000.htm#simp_foot

Announcer
    The Continental Soccer Association is coming to Springfield! It's all here: fast-kicking, low scoring, and ties? You bet!
    Bart
    Hey Dad, how come you've never taken us to see a soccer game?
    Homer
    I... don't know.
    Announcer
    You'll see all your favorite soccer stars. Like Ariaga! Ariaga II! Bariaga! Aruglia! And Pizzoza!
    Homer
    Oh, I never heard of those people.
    Announcer
    And they'll all be signing autographs!
    Homer
    Woo-hoo!
    Announcer
    This match will determine once and for all which nation is the greatest on Earth: Mexico or Portugal!

Homer
    "I kill myself if Portugal doesn't win"! :p

15. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    for many like me the European Cup is the true World Cup,
    in the World Cup too many teams for outer space :cool:

16. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You would, Eurosnob.

Only, you're in Jersey.

Nice sense of one's self.

But I can look past your tired excuses and ask one question.

Using your logic, the true World Champion is Greece?

I don't know about you but to me, that's out of this world.

17. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    nothing wrong with Greece :D

just like nothing wrong with Mexico, but I am a European snob :D

18. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That's it?

No defense of your bogus one liner.

I thought surely this Cunha character would have an explanation as to why the Euro is the true World Cup, just like "many others" think.

Absurd.

Oh well.

Can't expect more from a Metrostars fan.

19. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    you the one who's getting upeset, we can care less about Mexico and there Soccet teams

i have no intentions to go to the Mexico forum

20. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You need some mental help there my friend. Do you go around trying to start fights in real-life over nothing too?

Sheesh, we could easily be just as racial as you and come up with tons of crap to say about Mexicans... but do we? No... because quite frankly... we're not giving too much of a ******** over Mexico! BUT PLEASE, continue to make yourself look like a jackas*, and we'll continue to have huge smiles on our faces. :)

21. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    wow! still no respect we desperatly need to win the wc cause if we dont well be known as the atlanta braves of soccer.

22. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Please note that at no point am I saying that any one team is "better" than any other. Now to address you head-to-head points. Italy and Mexico have twice met each other recently in the first round of the WC (94, and 02) both games were draws and both times Mexico won the group with Italy coming in second. As for a Portugal and Mex head-to-head, there is no way to tell or draw a conclusion. And even if we had head to head numbers, they do not matter, what matters in soccer is how you play the field, as was evidenced in the 02 first round games. Mex walked away with seven points and finished ahead of Italy and Croatia. Portugal had 3 point and finished behind USA and Korea.

Now Portugal may well be better than Mexico, I just think it would be hard to justify Portugal have a much higher ranking than Mexico given the international records of each team in the past few years. And I like to watch Portugal play. Excellent soccer. Their Euro 00 team was stunning. My main point is to all of those who say Mexico is overrated, or rather over-ranked. It was quite hard to back up that claim when looking at international tournament records.

23. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    Chill out dude. Don't get a heart attack or anything. :p All Frank is doing is stating his opinion which he is completely entitled to. There's no need to insult the guy. If he doesn't want to give you an explanation, he doesn't ********ing have to. Maybe if you would've asked him in a nicer way. You'll find that you get more in life when you're nice to people. :)

24. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I am always amused when CONCACAF teams chime in, beside the US who do you have to play against to qualify. Please do not bring up how many World Cups Mexico has been in. They are surely aided by the fact that while European teams are playing each other Mexico is playing Trinidad and Grenada.

Enough already, Mexico is a decent Side but please......

25. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    By the way, just to add fuel to the fire all you Mexican fans can answer this question:

Why is it that so few Mexican players play or have played in Europe? From South America we know how many go to Europe.

I believe there is currently just one Mexican playing in Spain. (Please correct me if I am wrong) And don't answer this question with, "because they can earn just as much in Mexico." because then you are only going to look foolish.

Could the answer be not that talented.

We all know how many Players a country as small as Portugal (10 Million) produces and exports into Europe.

I believe you have more people than that just in Mexico City. You know what let me just ask my landscaper the next time he comes to mow the lawn:D