Portsmouths new stadium design.

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by Tomdon, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Tomdon

Tomdon New Member

Jan 13, 2007
  2. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  3. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Looks like it was designed by Salvador Dali, but should be good if it ever gets built. The cynic in me says that the "interestingness" of any stadium design is inversely proortional to the chance of it ever being built.

Just don't get it project managed by the guys who took care of the spinnaker tower.

4. Tomdon

Tomdon New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Yeh, good call, the fact it was meant to be the millenium tower says it all.

5. cooldude

cooldude New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    That does look spectacular.

6. ricky23

ricky23 New Member

Feb 6, 2007
    florida
    "Just don't get it project managed by the guys who took care of the spinnaker tower. "
    Maybe also avoid the folks who did Wembley too ? JUst saw where they were tearing out seats the other day?!!?

7. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wow, that's pretty impressive, especially the way they're looking to integrate it into what's already there and not just drop the stadium in the middle of nowhere, like Old Trafford or the Reebok.

I just want to clarify one thing that seems very strange - they're building a wall of apartments around this thing? Do they really think 1500 people are gonna want to effectively live in the cavity walls of a stadium?

8. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm sure people would want too, the apartments will probably very nice and loads to cost.

9. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Old Trafford's in the middle of nowhere?:confused:

Anyway, as for the new Pompey stadium, what's the deal with that one part that's higher than the others? They gonna have seats up there as that's what it looks like on that artist's impression or were my eyes playing tricks on me?

I ask because I know Pompey are proud of their atmosphere and if that section is isolated from the rest of the ground it may well kill off some of the noise. Also, isn't the roof from the lower tier in the way or have I totally lost it?

Edit: I take it that's actually the apartments? Knew I must've got that wrong. :eek:

10. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    OT is pretty much next to a big roundabout in a mixed residential and industrial area. It's hardly surrounded by purpose-built open spaces for the public.

11. auf Amerika

auf Amerika Member

Jul 11, 2004
    Yes... Here in the States, Louisiana State University's 90,000 plus seat football stadium was originally designed as a dormitory/football stadium by Huey P. Long. Students used to live in apartments in the stadium up until the 1980's I think. Stadium was built in the late 20's/early 30's.

So this wouldn't be the first time it was done.

12. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Do you realize how quickly the apartments at Highbury sold out?

There's loads of Pompey fans who would love to live next to the club, and if it's in a posh apartment on the waterfront, all the better.

13. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There's a big difference between Highbury and this - Highbury isn't a working football stadium. It's part of the old stadium, changed into flats, with an open square in the middle. This is like a second wall... It's weird.

But it looks bloody cool!

14. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've peered into what's left of Highbury and for all the talk about apartments being built into the stadium, nothing at all remains of Highbury bar two large brick walls.

15. cooldude

cooldude New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    The pitch?

16. Knobby

Knobby New Member

Jul 15, 2006
  17. Crammers

Crammers Member

Apr 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    it won't happen, too many problems,

It would cost an alsolute fortune to build, with the foundations being underwater etc

Public access, there are only 3 access bridges, this brings up safety issues

and finally even if those first two issues are sorted out then it will look nowt like the picture. Artists impressions never do.

Looks nice though.

18. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Underwater foundations aren't to build, especially so close to land.

At no point in the clubs statement does it mention anything about there only being 3 access bridges.

It's a design from the same architect firm that designed the Chinese Olympic stadium and that looks exactly like the original design

19. Tomdon

Tomdon New Member

Jan 13, 2007
    I think its going to be reclaimed land, so just backfilling, not sitting on the water as such.

20. jamasu

jamasu New Member

May 17, 2006
    Definitely impressive.

21. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Kinda looks like a big bung to me....

22. raul830

raul830 New Member

May 3, 2007