Portland v. USD (11/2) - (R)

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by FlashMan, Oct 31, 2003.

1. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Getting a thread started before the weekend comes. I'm hoping Nutmeg will attend this game and give a full report.

USD is something like 12-2-2 (3-0 in league competition) and is alternatively ranked 12th, 19th or not ranked depending on which poll you use. They've played exactly one game on the road so far this year so this will definitely be one of their tougher tests this year.

I believe Portland is hovering around .500, but still a force to be reckoned with.

Any insight you can provide, Nutmeg, would be greatly appreciated!!

2. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-2, Portland.

Nutmeg? Did you see this game? Can you provide a report?

3. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Flashman,

I was not able to attend the game. I've spoken to some people who were definitely at the game, though, and the general breakdown is that it was a wide open, exciting game that was actually pretty even. Portland had a 16-13 advantage in shots, but Salazar was dead accurate in his shooting and was the difference in the game (He earned National Player of the Week honors for his performance). You can see game stats here.

Portland has been a disappointing .500 team this year, and their success has basically been determined by Salazar's performance. Salazar happened to be red-hot yesterday, and Portland won.

You can read the game report here.

I expect Salazar to turn pro at least before the end of this year, but more likely following his junior season. He has twice been honored on the National Team of the Week, and IMO has the potential to be as good of a *field* player as any produced by the Pilots program.

4. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanx Nutmeg. Sounds like a great game.

Look forward to seeing Salazar play some day.

Up next for USD? Santa Clara on the road, another very tough test and if I'm not mistaken, possibly for the WCC championship.