Portland Timbers sign Pele

Discussion in 'Portland Timbers' started by joe guy, Mar 31, 2006.

1. joe guy

joe guy New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Portland, OR
    At an early morning press conference, Chris Agnello, Portland Timbers General Manager, shocked the sports world by announcing soccer great Pele has come out of retirement to sign a conditional Timbers USL-1 contract for 2006. During the past week Timber supporters were expecting the inclusion of veteran Brazilian forward Welton Melo, but instead were stunned by the incredible news. "Yesterday my good friend Pele showed us he still has it, and can give us maybe fifteen or twenty minutes in select games," Agnello remarked. "Pele coming off the bench in a close game could make all the difference in creating a championship season," he further stated. Others were not so optimistic. Dwight Jaynes, local soccer expert and journalist blurted, "This is nothing but a cheap publicity stunt. There is no way a 65-year old, (not even the great Pele) can play soccer professionally. This is an embarrassing setback to all of us that have supported the sport in the country for so long. I hope Agnello and Pele come to their senses real quick." Allison Andrews, life-long Timber supporter stammered, "I'm lost for words. We'll just have to see what transpires over the coming days. I don't know what to think at this time."

Details:

http://www.OregonLive.com/sports/soccer/usl/usl1.htm/

2. joe guy

joe guy New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Portland, OR

APRIL FOOL!!!

3. Houston_Dynamo_06

Houston_Dynamo_06 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Houston
    LOL, I cant believe I read all of that. :p

4. manic

manic Member

Sep 17, 2005
    You're a little early.

Pele might want to come back. If Romario keeps his current pace, he will pass Pele as top goal scorer by the time he's 55.

5. Kazan

Kazan New Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Ames, IA
    how old is pele now?

6. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least it was better then your LandyCakes to the Dodgers thread.

7. Allison A

Allison A New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Pele played his last professional game at PGE Park. He's just coming home.

And since Scott Benedetti retired, he'd be the oldest player on the team now.

8. Soccerprep

Soccerprep Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Lafayette, LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he will be 66 in october.