Post-match: Portland Timbers - San Jose Earthquakes (Wednesday, 9/20) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Sep 21, 2023.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final score is:

[​IMG] 2 - 1 [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

P.S. = Please don't post results of other soccer (including MLS) games and other sports' games in this thread until at least 24 hours after they've ended.

2. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Gah

Beerking repped this.
  3. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    13 wins for Portland, 4 ties and 0 wins for San Jose over 17 trips to Portland. Unbelievable. :mad:

4. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The team was actually interesting to watch the final 10 mins. Luchi has them playing so boring, it's tough to stay interested. He is supposed to be a youth whisperer but I havent seen any return on that. Give me ian russel please, diamonds arent boring at least.

DasMoots and Beerking repped this.
  6. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    step by step Quakes slide down the standings......

so pissed after watching this match....is it to much to ask to win in Portland at least one time in 17 tries. :mad:

7. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if history has taught us one thing, it's that season after season (except for 2012) it won't matter who coaches this team, this organization are bottom feeders.

mjlee22 repped this.
  8. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    utterly pitiful.

9. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    time to go to youtube (Aftershock postgame) and commiserate with other frustrated fans....

TyffaneeSue and markmcf8 repped this.
  10. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    If we’ve learned anything over these past 15 years, it’s that coaching isn’t the problem.

11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the Earthquakes are still in seventh place in the Western Conference for now.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

12. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    seems teams behind them are slowly moving up as quakes continue to slide down

13. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes, I wish we had Messi too, but the coaching is a problem. Dallas fans pretty much told us his teams were boring and here we are. I also suspected he was getting too much credit for a ton of talent coming through the dallas academy at once. He hasnt improved cade and is playing vets like monteiro over exciting homegrowns like niko. Just not seeing any redeeming qualities beyond not being at the bottom like Almeyda had us.

DasMoots and markmcf8 repped this.
  14. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bullshit!! We’re in eighth place! Look at PPG, which is the Only way to count when teams have played different numbers of games.

EIGHTH PLACE! AND WE SUCK!!

Probably not much point in trying to watch the game, yeah? Did we get called for a PK? Or did VAR wave that off?

Go Quakesfans!!

15. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    If you still think we have a coaching problem after watching nine coaches achieve basically the same results over the past 15 years…I’m probably not changing your mind.

And there’s a fair bit of middle ground between Messi and Monteiro…

…we still haven’t found a GM with the smarts to make Fishball work.

But sure, Ian Russell is the answer to what ails us. :rolleyes:

16. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #16 JazzyJ, Sep 21, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
    Last time we came to Portland we played a 3-5-2 and we were all over them, at least for the first 30 minutes. Evander's goal at 30' was completely against the run of play and he knew they were playing so badly up to that point he didn't even celebrate the goal. Of course then they could go into their low block / counter game and we gave up the dagger goal.

But why not go back to the 3-5-2 tonight when we know it worked so well last time in Portland?
    And furthermore, has the 3-5-2 looked anything but good or pretty good so far this season? Can we at least try it until we see that it goes badly one time?

We might have gone to something like a 3-5-2 late in the game, but when the Niko, Cade, and Trauco came in I think it played more like a 4-4-2, with Hoppe playing more of a withdrawn forward role. Or you could say he was a CAM I guess but he wasn't really playing like one.

markmcf8 repped this.
  17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Felt like a Portland home crew. They talked on and on about Portland and and didn't seem to know much about the Quakes except for Espinoza. At one point Hoppe was doing stuff and they just called him "the Quakes player". It was like the Washington Nationals against the Harlem Globetrotters or something.

DasMoots, don gagliardi and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  18. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well, exactly. For the first half of the game, when the Timbers had most of the possession, the announcers talked about how Portland was controlling the game, and when the Quakes got possession, the announcers talked about how the Timbers were going to get the ball back. The announcers gushed about the Timbers almost constantly. Then, after the subs came on and the Quakes had possession for a good chunk of time, the announcers were blissfully silent, since clearly they knew almost nothing about our team or players. Finally, they just started reading the name of whichever player happened to have possession at that moment.

JazzyJ repped this.
  19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, anyway, we played like crap in the 1st half, and we won't make the playoffs if we play like that for any significant duration the rest of the way. Gotta get right against Nashville.

20. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-games left.

Pretty sure we've seen the end of Benji and TT era in San Jose.

Quakes lose on decision day and fall out of a playoff spot.

21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I think the Quakes win on Decision Day but they may need some help to get in the playoffs and not sure they're going to get it. But I've been predicting all season long that it will come down to decision day.

22. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Aftershock:

- Luchi says that he thought we had a "pretty good 1st half in terms of foundation, mid-block, pressure, possession... " :cry: Really? We had one shot and an xG of .02. Portland had 6 shots or so, a goal, and ~1.3xG. You're not going to win very many games like that.

- The Aftershock guys drive me nuts because they can't just ask a simple question. They'll just talk and talk and insert their own analysis and pile up 3 or 4 questions into one "question". After I think it was Alex Morgan asked one of those "questions" Hoppe just smiled and said something like "um, there's a lot to that question" or something like that. I think it was a bit of a "what are you guys doing" kind of thing :). I think Luchi is used to it by now.

23. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were emulating the Dallas/Luchi era. Middle pack, late season truck wreck.

Are we better then last year? No, we have a goalkeeper whos saved our hide.

24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah they played like crap in the game!

TyffaneeSue and Earthshaker repped this.
  25. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Exactly! Anybody that followed Dallas knows that this is Luchi's pattern, do middling during the season and then tank at the end of it.

markmcf8 repped this.