Portland Timbers PGE Park renovation

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by UPinSLC, Sep 21, 2010.

1. F.C. Lurker

F.C. Lurker New Member

Dec 18, 2009
    USA
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A modified terrace feature would be GREAT in MLS stadia, but it will NEVER happen because of the fear of "hooligans" and rioting.

2. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With any luck, all the members of Toothpick Army will slice their Achilles tendons on the exposed bolts and fall down every time they try to walk.

3. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's cute that you think that, but it's not the reason why.

4. DaveH

DaveH Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Let's be honest here. Your FO had tabula rasa with the team identity. The D2 Sounders changed their kit colors nearly every season, most people in town didn't know or didn't care that they existed, and the Pod dissolved almost immediately. What was there to wipe clean? You kept the name and a couple of players.

Since my month-old post was taken out of context, I'll remind you that I was talking about ECS's lack of ability to lobby their FO for a robust away ticket allocation. As the Timbers Army have been able to do. As the Southsiders said they'd be able to do because of their close, intimate, trusting relationship with their FO. So thank you for agreeing with me.

Again, back on topic: No detailed design yet for the capo stands in the north end of the stadium. They are almost certainly going to put the log above the players entrance tunnel at the bottom of 107. Another tour should be scheduled sometime in mid/late January.

5. DaveH

DaveH Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Toothpick Army is better than Cinders, but only just. I expect better from you.

6. F.C. Lurker

F.C. Lurker New Member

Dec 18, 2009
    USA
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what's the reason?

7. Utherhimo

Utherhimo Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i thought the fire were "friends" with the TA? hhhmmmm

8. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it's what I've been using for a while, there was just never any reason to troll a USL board.

You can thank a combination of the "handicapable" and a couple of panic exiting fatality tragedies, not to mention to a lesser degree, 9/11.

Some of them think you're swell. To me, you're just like everyone else. Not Fire, Fuck Them.

9. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    When is the grass going in?

10. Fenerbace

Fenerbace Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    There has been grass in the north end as long as I can remember. If you dig. ;)

11. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Never, ever. Ok, maybe they might reverse the decision sometime in the far future but as of now, the artificial stuff will be used in this otherwise fine facility.

12. hoosh

hoosh New Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the verdict on Artificial FieldTurf? Is it difficult to play on? I know that Qwest field has the same turf, but Toronto switched BMO to grass.

It'd be nice if PGE Park had grass in the future, but from what other people have said, it seems that the technical infrastructure required to maintain natural grass was not installed.

13. Fenerbace

Fenerbace Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    It will actually be a very different turf than Qwest field. It has never been installed anywhere before and is being specifically for this installation to serve as a showcase for the company developing it. Word is that it plays better than grass and you can slide on it with bare skin without getting burns.

14. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing is ever better than playing an a perfect grass field

15. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will also end racism, cure world hunger and amplify crowd noise.

16. Fenerbace

Fenerbace Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    At least it will reduce the deficit.

17. Fenerbace

Fenerbace Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    However, new turf is often way better than a shitty grass field.

18. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. The problem isn't "infrastructure" as artificial fields require a more extensive drainage system than natural fields.

The real problem is a combination of climate and multiple users (some 3rd rate college football program) that will be affecting the middle third of the field from endline to endline.

19. hoosh

hoosh New Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking the multiple users factor weighs more heavily in installing FieldTurf, because BMO Field has dealt with Toronto's climate fairly well. I think grass is preferable, but having the Portland State football team necessitates FieldTurf.

20. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toronto and Portland are two wholly different climates.

21. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has been installed in New England.

22. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    trust me, a natural grass field gets DESTROYED from september to late october around these parts. it can get real soggy and rainy, and its NOTHING like toronto. sharing a natural grass field with a football team for a couple months would make the field damn near unplayable. hell, the university of portland has an incredible field with a $2 million dollar heating and drainage system (installed 4 years ago) and it still needs ridiculous maintenance in the fall because of the rain around here. throw in the fact that the field is actually some 20 feet below the water table, there's just no way to have a natural grass field right now.

23. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Are you sure its the same product as in New England? Do you have a source? Last I heard, they were deciding between FieldTurf and Polytan, but that no decision has been made. Is that no longer the status?

The stuff in NE seems, to my eyes, to play pretty naturally. The stuff in Qwest played fine last year, but by the end of this year, it seemed more carpety than grassy. The test is always how it holds up over a few seasons.

I know its wrong on a few levels, but I long for the day PSU folds their football program, removing one of the obstacles to grass in PGE.

24. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure the same system that drains and pumps whatever water falls on it now would be the same system that drains the water on natural grass.

25. Fenerbace

Fenerbace Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    Duraspine Pro may have been, but not the magical 'plays better than grass and reduces the deficit' turf that I was flippantly referring to in response to stupid questions about whether Portland will have grass.

So I stand by my claim that the turf I was referring to has never been installed anywhere.