Portland Timbers PGE Park renovation

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by UPinSLC, Sep 21, 2010.

1. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I find the thought of that ********ing fantastic.

2. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just think of ho far you could throw a battery...

3. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking 110 yards.

4. UpstateFan

UpstateFan Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Rio Tinto is 90 x 130? That's huge!

5. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    im 99% sure it isnt that big, thats ********ing massive if it is (60 feet longer by 45 wider? i dont think so). im almost certain its the same size as the Dick, ~75-80 x 120. i think the whole field is 90 x 130.

6. UpstateFan

UpstateFan Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My super precise google earth measurement says 75 X 120.

7. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there actually updates on PGE Park? You know, the whole purpose of this thread...

8. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. abs1342

abs1342 New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Edmonds WA
    http://www.riotintostadium.com/stadium_facts.php

"The carpet-like natural grass field boasts a surface area of 130 yards in length by 90 yards in width and has been developed to sustain a full slate of diverse sports and entertainment activities."

10. UpstateFan

UpstateFan Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the entire field including the out of bounds area. We're talking just the dimensions between the lines.

11. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any truth to the rumors that the renovations won't be complete until May? Not that there's a problem with that, just thought Portland was the leading candidate for First Kick next season.

12. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About a week or two ago I heard 4 days ahead of schedule.

13. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our first home game with be the fourth matchday of the season. They also mentioned mid April for the Home Opener. We were 4 days ahead of schedule when we met with the FO 2 weeks ago. No idea now, but I know the steel will be done by the end of the month. They also plan to have a soft launch event in early April before making last minute adjustments, however the structure will be mostly done by March.

We are one of the leading candidates for First Kick, but as the away team. The latest rumor for the favorite is Seattle at Vancouver for First Kick.

14. Portland Ale Patrol

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland OR
    Pitch invasion(?) :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTw3RQdqK18"]YouTube - Basel & Luzern Fans Throw Thousands Tennis Balls Onto Field[/ame]

15. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Fenerbace

Fenerbace Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    They designed it to maximize the advantage of Findley's speed.

Oops.

17. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp

18. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    You do realize they are talking about the grass surface not the playing field. It isn't as though the touchlines were replaced by concrete walls? Part of that 130 x 90 is taken up by sign boards team benches and a buffer between the sign boards and the seating.

While there might be 130x90 yards of grass in Rio Tinto, I'd venture to guess that the actual dimensions of the playing field are in the 80 x 120 range or smaller.

19. Magister

Magister Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Behold the TA posturing. If this doesn't work out to everyone's satisfaction, they are gearing up to blame the Sounders FO and ECS, regardless of the facts.

20. Magister

Magister Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I'd agree. Pretty much making the most of the old place. Look forward to seeing it next April.

21. Hierarchyfive

Hierarchyfive Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To be fair, a lot has happened since that comment. Including a joint press release between the supporters groups, and MLS Front Office involvement and admissions.

22. DaveH

DaveH Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Looks like a new member has signed up to my fan club.

And for the record, I'm not blaming ECS. I'm simply stating that I think they have zero actual influence with Seattle's FO.

On topic: I'm hoping we can get clarification on the log pedestal and capo stands this afternoon.

23. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    please keep in mind PTFC and SSFC are VERY different clubs, run very differently with very different philosophies. To begin with, we have dealt with an ownership group that wanted tabula rasa in regards to the entire team identity-you really have not. Now rethink your whole situation in PDX had you had to deal with that type of a FO. The ECS is happy thus far with many items we have been able to win. We struggle with others. Our FO does not want our influence and does not invite it. Yours does. So its apples and oranges.

24. S.S.C '78

S.S.C '78 New Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everything that occurs down in the south end of the stadium during match day (121-124) was fought for by the ECS. The fact there is even a GA or supporters section at all was something that SSFC never intended on having originally. We had to battle to get the damn band moved out of the GA, the naming fiasco, even the easy things like flags, banners, capo stands etc. It's a constant ongoing process.

Not looking for a pat on the back here just showing some light on the fact that we are not as toothless as some would like to believe. Unfortunately it seems they are trying to keep us on as short of a leash as possible so everything is a negotiation and step by step battle.

Ive been around long enough to know that things werent all roses between the TA and the Timbers FO and it's good to see things working out well for them these days. Goes to show, put in the work and the heart and good things happen.

Fuzzy is right however that having to deal with the Seattle FO is a bit more problematic than the relationship that the TA have with Paulson etc. and this has everything to do with the effort put in on both sides of the equation. Timbers FO seem to realize that the two groups are symbiotic and our FO still sees us as a bit of a threat. This is all looking at Portland from the outside mind you and things might not be as pleasant as they seem down there.

Every time I've done Portland away it's been a blast and I'm looking forward to it next year. Excited to see the new piggy, excited that the PNW rivals are back together again. Good luck next year.

Now go die in a fire!:D

25. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The TA will have terraces!
    [​IMG]

Disclaimer: Any and all express statements herein this post are false. Enjoy the Totalnerd update.