Portland Power??

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by BrandiC63, Jul 28, 2002.

1. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
  2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Jeez have you been reading the rest of the BigSoccer forums the past couple of days? This rumor was already put to rest. Ummm you may want to go over to the WUSA forum here on BigSoccer and read a very similar thread...this IS NOT A MOVE (and yes I'll admit that I called midget as soon as news broke), but overzealous speculation led to rumors about a WUSA team relocating. Bottom line...Portland is hosting an All Star game on 9/21. This match will be carried live on PAX at 1pm PT.

3. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    Ok Fear if your gona be a dick in our forum which u barely post in and just to antagonize people, get the fu*k out. I'm tired of hearing your $hit in our forum. I come here to talk to other Power fans who dont make me look stupid because I dont read alot of the other boards & know everything like you do so shut the fu*k up and get out.

4. ShannonMacRulez

ShannonMacRulez New Member

Apr 17, 2000
    da boondocks
    you know what?? not everyone reads every single post in BS, so excuse us! geez... :rolleyes: I just read about it yesterday too.

5. thegoofy1

thegoofy1 New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Wow, and he was just trying to help out, and let you know what the thread was about. You should be glad that they're not moving, not jumping on his a** for trying to straighten things out.

*shakes head*

6. LMoroney

LMoroney Member

Jan 28, 1999
    I'll post the reply that I gave to LM (no relation!) to the BOTN stuff here too:
    #1:
    Edit Reply

I have heard this rumor, but I severely doubt Mondays press conference is to announce it. More likely the PC is to announce the first WUSA 'All-Star' game which will of course be used as a gauge for interest in a possible W*USA team being placed there.

As money is tight, and as Larry mentioned AOL/TW are under the gun, the logical likelihood, *if* a team is relocated there, would be the Power.

In addition AOL/TW may also offload the Courage for the same reasons, and Seattle (host city of some of the Womens' Gold up games incidentally) would be a prime candidate.

([****] Allen anybody? Wouldn't it be sweet for a Microsoft person to buy a soccer team off AOL for a steep discount?)

This would be *Great* for the league as they would have a true East/West conference setup, minimizing travel costs and increasing coverage.

West: SD/SJ/Por/Sea
    East: Was/Bos/Atl/Phi

Of course Washington could be the other team to go west if this happened -- the Mia 'effect' has run out of steam in DC...

Insofar as the Power are concerned, I for one would miss them. I don't particularly agree with Larry's judgement of them, but my experience with them has been vastly different.

If the management is bad, you don't get rid of the team, you either change or get rid of the management...That being said, Susan Marenoff is a very bright and capable person working under very difficult circumstances. I don't think she can be blamed entirely for the woes of the team, although she should be help responsible for them, as her salaried position warrants.

ALso, the true revenue stream for the Power is not the gate, it is the camps. They would only give up the fertile NY camp scene for something even better. Is Oregon better?

For me, the ones that get under my skin are the players agents, particularly the founder players. They treat the players as a revenue stream, nothing else, and the fans accordingly. It sucks.

Finally Finally, if the Power are to stay here, they should do the following: Get out of Mitchel field. Play maybe 60-70% of their home games there, but have the rest be 'travel' games around NY state. Let them be New York's team, not Uniondales team (*). It'll kill season tix, but, to be honest from what I have heard season tix sales are miniscule anyway.

Oh, and Tiffeny is a sweetheart. She likes the fans here just fine.

:L

(*) Visiting coaches, when playing at the New York Power, always seem to put the name of the host city as Uniondale, not NY!!

The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

and #2 when challenged whether I was blind or on drugs!! :)

Maybe blind, but definitely not on drugs.

Let's wait and see what will happen on Monday -- why do it in Oregon? Because they are trying to kiss up to potential investors in Oregon, as they are, as you point out, so short of cash. Isn't it obvious?

SM is generally disliked -- agreed. I have had dealings with her, and my personal feelings aren't for public discussion, which is why I avoid them!

My opinion of the picture:

WUSA is losing money. Badly.
    PAX deal sucks, Ratings suck, 2 coaches fired, one replaced by a GM (San Diego), the other by the assistant (NY). Office moves into 'spare' space at COX (I/O in the league)
    etc. etc.

There is interest in the Northwest (Read Oregon for this stuff, and Seattle/Vancouver because of the hosting of the gold Cup)

League wants to suck up, so it announces a moneyspinning all-star game to sweeten the pot with the Oregon investors.

After the game, AOL/TW sell the Power to Oregon. And possibly the courage to Seattle.

Yadda Yadda Yadda.

I guess we'll see on monday....

Man I am beginning to sound like somebody else we haven't seen for a while on BS!!!

7. LMoroney

LMoroney Member

Jan 28, 1999
    Guys we're all being a little emotional here -- I don't want to lose my team either.

However what is good for the league is good for the league, and the WUSA that I speculated above is good for the league. IMHO

Fear isn't a great fan of the AOL/TW situation (and I don't blame him/her), and if this is the beginning of the snowball away from that situation, well I am all for it, and a future expansion NY team not owned by a cable outfit!

8. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    And break their multiyear deal with SAS???

I doubt Hendricks would allow this to happen....

Thank Hyundai for this....

9. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    Its not that I was yelling at him because he informed me, but he put it acrost me like I couldnt read or there was something wrong with me because I didnt check every other thing out. Im in pain, on medication, and emotional(appendectomy a few days ago) as hell right now so all i need is someone in a way making fun of me so of course ill get defensive about it

10. yeah that was kinda rude bitching cause she didnt read every freakin forum. some people have lives. I dont read every forum either... I didnt know about it til someone IMed me and said something about portland power. but thanks for the info.

11. LMoroney

LMoroney Member

Jan 28, 1999
    I know it is a long shot, but Capitalism being what it is.. :)

AOL/TW are in trouble. W*USA is in trouble financially. While distasteful, it would not be unthinkable for AOL/TW to cut their losses, sell the team to someone else and deduct the expense of breaking their deal with the SAS off their bottom line.

Corporate accounting being what it is, they could probably treat that deal as a depreciatable asset.

Look, I am not saying that this is probable, just that it is possible, and am speculating as to how the various current events within the league are unfolding.

It's just as possible that they'll make a go if it for another year hoping for an interest spike due to the WWC. Personally I don't think there will be a major spike from the WWC, as it is played in China in the middle of (our) night. It sadly doesn't have the appeal of the mens' game, but if the US gals get to the final, then it'll be interesting to see what happens to WUSA.

It's late, I'm raving, but darn this stuff is interesting... :)

12. LMoroney

LMoroney Member

Jan 28, 1999
    ..oh yeah and don't forget Anschutz (i.e. MLS) owns the rights to the WWC. There's every chance that W*USA won't get to piggyback off any successful WWC with the way the relationship has gone between them and MLS...

13. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    FearM9...antagonizer of the Power fans!!!!

Oh I wouldn't count out St. Phil in the future. I'm just saying....... ;)

14. tritonspirit

tritonspirit New Member

Get Well Soon

I'm sorry to hear that you had to have an appendectomy BrandiC63. :(

Even if you weren't "emotional as hell," I still would feel that your reply was totally justified considering how rude and condescending the post was that you were responding to.

I wish you a speedy recovery. :)

15. ntfan1

ntfan1 New Member

Jan 22, 2001
    to lm.....
    1) damn, you must have a lot of free time.....

2) altho a lot of what you say, re. the power,
    may end up happening (much, however will
    not)....when you refer to your friend larry
    at BOTN, you tend to lose your credibility
    with local folk who know about him, i.e,
    wasn't he the "gentleman" banned from his
    daughter's high school soccer games??

3) and lastly, altho you have an axe to grind
    with sm (so she fired you, move on!), to say
    that she is generally disliked is DISGUSTING
    AND BENEATH CONTEMPT.....i know her and
    most of the players well, and nothing could
    be farther from the truth......grow up !!

16. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find this whole thing very amusing. I posted the WUSA press release on Big Soccer last Friday (with no comments, but an admittedly provocative subject line :) ). Within a few short hours the story of the All-Star game was posted there. That's good. That's a sign of the positive aspects of the web in action.

Mr. BOTN did not begin his thread until Saturday and then it got picked up by somebody on the WUSA team boards. Folks started running off at the fingertips posting every possible slant and slander without one iota of a link to reality.

Here's the reality:
    Portland to Host WUSA All-Star Game

Note to Power fans, don't believe everything you read in a newspaper or an on-line bulletin board. ;)

17. LMoroney

LMoroney Member

Jan 28, 1999
    to ntfan1...

1. Darn, you must have no free time *at all* to check on any facts...

2. Please show my where I *refer* to anybody called 'Larry', whether it is as a 'friend' or not. As for his relationship with his daughter and HS soccer, I really have no idea what you are talking about.

3. From the first pixel in the letter 'a' to the last one in your final '!' you are completely and factually incorrect. On everything. Congratulations, that is an amazing level of consistency. Astonishing in fact.

With regards to what may or may not happen, I state a case based on facts and speculation. Things change, and personally I hope the current situation changes, because I don't want to lose the team....

18. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    hey folks,

lets keep this thread respectful. please refrain from profanity, personal attacks, and name calling. you can disagree with people, just try not to be rude and resort to name calling.

i don't want to have to close this thread.

yours truely,

the quiet but always watching moderator

19. ntfan1

ntfan1 New Member

Jan 22, 2001
    to LM.......one more time....
    1) you are correct, i do not have time to endlessly post on b.s....altho i make exceptions when friends are dumped on......i've done this several times, in the past, when nt players have
    taken crap (not that most of them ever heard of bs)...
    2) when you say "i'll post a reply i gave to lm at
    BOTN" and "larry's judgemnet"....those are tipoffs
    3) "SUSAN M. is generally disliked---agreed"...
    not quite......she is not generally disliked, other than by people, like you, that she had to terminate.

20. LMoroney

LMoroney Member

Jan 28, 1999
    In response...one more time

(btw personal attacks are not allowed on these boards.)

1. I ain't dumping on anybody. I don't dislike Sm, in fact I rather like and respect her. If I mention what other people have said wrt not liking her, I am sure that you agree there is a major difference. As a matter of fact, having spoken with about 12 influential soccer people on LI (BOTN not included), within and without the Power Organization, all complained about SM. That is a matter of fact. Secondly, if you read the articles, you will see that I have actually been *defending* her, and not dumping on her, because, as I said I like and respect her.

2. I wasn't referring to my 'friend Larry at BOTN', I was *responding* to him, disagreeing with his appraisal.

3. 'That she had to terminate'. How could I be terminated by her if I never worked for her in the first place? When you make false accusations, and PERSONAL ATTACKS like that you had better be prepared to back them up.

You had also better check the t.o.s. for using bigsoccer.com

Moderators? Can we have your opinion here?

21. LMoroney

LMoroney Member

Jan 28, 1999
    I'll quote myself:

>>If the management is bad, you don't get rid of the team, you either change or get rid of the management...That being said, Susan Marenoff is a very bright and capable person working under very difficult circumstances. I don't think she can be blamed entirely for the woes of the team, although she should be help responsible for them, as her salaried position warrants. <<<

That really does sound like someone with an axe to grind that cannot stand SM, and wants to exact revenge, doesn't it?

22. BrandiC63

BrandiC63 New Member

Apr 8, 2000
    Piscataway, NJ
    So back to the thread topic.

There is no Portland Power.

There is just an All Star Game in Portland.

I love you God.

Thank you.

:D

23. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    brandi,

i'd suspect there will be a good crowd at the game- thus, portland most likley will be getting an expansion team, not a relocation team, esepcially one called Power.

24. LMoroney

LMoroney Member

Jan 28, 1999
    *Crosses Fingers and hopes that it's so* :)