Poll: Who should ESPN replace Dave O'Brien with?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by jade1mls, Jan 18, 2008.

1. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
  2. peridigm

peridigm Member

Apr 19, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cohen just read an email that it will be JP Dellacamera, Arena, & Harkes.

YES!!!! Although I am not a fan of any of the above, O'Brian is a douche & Wynalda is asshol who won't shut the ******** up!

3. CommonSense

CommonSense Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Portland
    JP is an upgrade of O'Brien, but I would've preferred Glenn Davis. I really like this MLS games this year, he's the most professional IMO.

Also, why doesn't ESPN steal Roy Hudson from GolTV. He's by far my favorite US-based color guy. Glen Davis and Hudson would be a dream combo in the booth.

4. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena? God, no!

His on-air personality is horrible....

Besides, isn't he going to manage Scotland? (thunderous laughter)

5. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ray Hudson would be the only sideline commentator that would be worth watching!

The guy should publish a book of his hilarious sayings...

"Trying to block the free kick, he's standing on tippee toes like a midget at a urinal"

6. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Was O'brien that bad. The one thing i did like about him is when a superskill is done like what Adu did vs South Africa or the dempsey flip-flap O'brien would get excited and say "OOOOO what a MOVE! or what a GOAL!. On FSC the horrible Bretos and over talkitive sullivan are boring. When Adu did that double spin superskill vs south Africa; sullivan said in a light tone thats a good move. lol lol like sullivan can do that move; my ass. Sullivan should have said WOW what a MOVE! like O'brien did.

So who ever ESPN gets it should be a exciting commentator and not boring ones like the ones on FSC.

7. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    the FanZone commentators on FSC come to mind!

8. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    the Scottish (?) guy who gets really excited doing the Serie A games shown on FSC

9. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't watch baseball, so I can't comment on O'Brien's baseball commentating skills. If it's his main gig, I would assume he's good at it. He seems to have only a minimal knowledge of the game of soccer. He did the Indiana @ Minnesota college basketball game last night. Same as soccer, he just rambled on and on about the same things over and over.

10. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would love to see cobi Jones get into broadcasting and he would be bring a very recognized face to the game from the TV side

11. quakesfan209

quakesfan209 Member

Nov 17, 2004
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES!!!! I second that motion.

12. quakesfan209

quakesfan209 Member

Nov 17, 2004
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didnt care for O'brien, I likes Wynalda, Arena is cool. I would be very happy with JP and Wynalda throw in Arena, the Irish guy (I cant think of his name) no more Foudy please, Hopkins on the sidelines and I would be pleased.
    I like the wrestling guy from FSC, I think he got a lot better as the season went on. If Harkes is going to be in the broadcasting booth I hope he can get comfortable behind the mike cuz he sucks.
    I guess we will find out in a few months how it all works out.

13. Chester_Spankington

Chester_Spankington New Member

Jan 15, 2006
    The fact Ray Hudson isn't in the poll makes this a useless thread.

14. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    rae please

15. BakedAlaskan

BakedAlaskan Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Ancho-RAGE,Alaska
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that you don't know the difference between a play by play announcer and a color commentator makes you a useless poster.

If an NFL team needs a tackle, you don't draft a center to play tackle. Although they play on the same line, they aren't interchangeable

16. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's Wheelock, can I use my SAP button to have it translated from British into English?

17. glyconerd

glyconerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Good move by ESPN in ditching O'brien and Wynalda. Internet justice has been made. Now to get rid of Arena. How shall we proceed? :D

18. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    with all due respect ruling out candidates because they have a foreign accent is against the law and to be honest,for this game, self defeating.

19. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    It is self defeating because most of the people who meet your criteria:
    "an absolute "NUT" about soccer, fast talking,emotional,charismatic with excitement and knowledge".....will most likely HAVE a foreign accent. and what is this nonsense about having a foreign accent anyway? are you a xenophobe?

20. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Ray Hudson, for those who know nothing of broadcasting, is a color man, not a play by play man. He would replace Wynalda, not O'Brien.

(The fact that this must constantly be restated makes me think many of Hudson's biggest "fans" don't actually know him that well.)