Poll: regular season MVP

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by StarCityFan, Aug 7, 2002.

1. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regular season MVP

Who do you think was our MVP during the regular season? I can narrow it down to these six, but I can make an argument for any of them.

Siri Mullinix - sensational goaltending throughout, helped us hang on to ties in games we should have lost and to wins in games we could have tied

Jen Grubb - anchor of the defense, sensational defensive plays, authoritative PKs, team captain and leader throughout season

Carrie Moore - spent the second half of the season shutting down the best goal-scorers in the world. Team went undefeated with her in that role.

Steffi Jones - stabilized the midfield, provided utterly reliable ball control, and sparked the midseason turnaround

Mia Hamm - several game-winning goals, brought whole team to another level coming off the bench, two huge performances in critical games

Abby Wambach - third in the league in scoring, leads team in both goals and assists

2. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    I'd narrow it to Mia, Siri, or Jen myself. Steffi, Carrie, and Abby have played the roles asked of them well, but that alone doesn't make an MVP. Our attack and midfield presence has gone almost exactly as Mia has gone, Siri has singlehandedly kept us in some matches. I'll lean towards giving it to Jen though, filling captain's shoes previously occupied by Mia is no easy task and she is the lynchpin of a vastly improved defense that kept us in with any hope of the playoffs before Mia, Jie, and Steffi came on to help give us a decent attack/midfield.

3. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted for Jen myself, believe it or not, because of the range of her contributions. Mia's been great but hasn't played that much. Carrie's done a brilliant job but in a very one-dimensional role. Steffi, Abby, and Siri have similarly had done well but in their specific roles.

4. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    I'll tell you what. if Mia tears it up in the playoffs and gets us to the final, they're gonna give it to her. Well deserved IMO. But people are gonna scream bloody murder, and start on about conspiracies and such.

So first we should define MVP.

5. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    If WUSA is like other leagues, playoffs aren't taken into consideration - the vote is made at the end of the regular season

6. SomebodyOrOther

SomebodyOrOther BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 8, 2002
    Over here!
    Abby

I had to vote for Abby Wambach--there's no question in my mind. She held the Freedom in the mix before the defense gelled (Moore and Grubb), before Siri came back like a house on fire, before Steffi showed up, before Mia could get in the game...Abby put the team on her back and carried them as best she could. She's been the most consistent performer for the Freedom all season long. I think she's played far above and beyond what could be expected of her at that position as a rook'.

7. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Carrie would be my choice for [team] MVP" - Jen Grubb.

8. *Crazy_Chastain*

*Crazy_Chastain* New Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida

agreed. I think this is a pretty good definition:

This is also my reasoning behind it. Of course this definition is Mia-specific, but it clearly defines why she should be MVP.

9. FreedomFan526

FreedomFan526 New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    Virginia
    JEN GRUBB --- I cannot imagine the team without her out on the field.

I do give each of the players in the poll a lot of credit. They are all really awesome players and they have contributed so much this season. It was a hard decision.