Poll: Real Salt Lake Name, Has your opinion changed?

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by galaxy1320, Oct 22, 2004.

1. galaxy1320

galaxy1320 New Member

Jun 17, 2003
    LA
    I wanted to see if people are begining to warm up to this name.

Personally, I thought it was lame and cheesy when I first heard it. Now I still think its cheesy, but I'm okay with a little cheesy at least its a "soccer name."

For example, I just read an article which listed the following names in order: CD ChivasUSA, FC Dallas, ReAL Salt Lake, and DC United. We've got 3 more distinctly soccer names and I think that's a good thing.

2. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    I took pot shots at the name when it came out. I liked Alliance; however, the RSL logo and kits are first class and I've warmed up to the name ReAL.

3. SoccerAddict

SoccerAddict Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Pullman, WA
    When I first heard that "Real" was being considered, I thought it was a weak name. I'm not sure that I think it's any better now, but I think I'm becoming acclimated to it. However, like others, I think the logo and shield are very nice.

4. Scottt1115

Scottt1115 Member

Sep 14, 2003
    SLC, UT
    I still hate the name and, pending the specifics of the "relationship" with Real Madrid, think that it was a huge marketing mistake (I have already spent over an hour of my time explaining the origins of the name to acquaintances only to have their befuddled faces blinking at me in return).

However I agree that the crest and uniforms are classy.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The name is ok, not my first choice. Seems to fit naturally with the Supporters Club name, the Loyalists.
    Of course, the kit/logo, jeresys...all very nice

6. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I have found the following method affective... it's worked for me around the office and such.

"What's the name of the new pro soccer team?"

"ReAL Salt Lake"

"Huh?"

"Yeah, they're the Yankees of the soccer world... it's in their honor... and they might have some kind of 'relationship' with the team."

"Oh, ok."

7. Grah

Grah Member

Sep 4, 2003
    I am confused what has Salt Lake to do with royalty and why would an American team call itself Royal Salt Lake?

Or do you still want to be British after all....

8. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    The uniforms are cool. If it ain't Claret, f*** it.

The only redeeming quality of the Rêål Sält Lãkè name is that we can use lots of Pedro Almodovar references.

Instead of the Loyalists, we should be Fans On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown.

9. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I find the simplest method is just

"You know, like Real Madrid."

"Ohh..." (If they don't follow soccer, they just stay quiet, feeling bad that they don't know something I'm acting like everyone and their dog knows.)

10. theblondsoccerstar

theblondsoccerstar New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    UT, USA
    Ya, i like the RSL name. i don't wanna hear any more crap about it either. its over, you can't change the name! live with it!

11. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
  12. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well...it wouldn't matter if your club was called Highlanders, Alliance, Arsenal for all I care.

Your club will still get it's ass handed to them everytime you play Rapids FC, period. :)

Oh, and I think RSL isn't too bad of a name.