Poll: How do you look at the US

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by squadra_azzurri, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ac2004

ac2004 Member

Mar 22, 2006
    South Korea somehow achieved that feat (possibly with a little help as well if you know what I mean), and that's how they became a rising team.

2. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    This is a good point. Mexico has never made it to the Semis before (and has only made it the QFs when the WC is held in Mexico). I'm assuming that neither Poland nor Croatia have ever made it that far either since Polar Bear mentioned them.

3. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    ....and we might have been in the SF game against South Korea if a certain ref hadn't ruled a certain hand-ball in a certain QF match "unintentional" (that's if you believe he saw it just like he admitted he did).

4. ac2004

ac2004 Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Croatia got 3rd place in the 1998 World Cup. Poland got 3rd place in two World Cups as well.

5. ac2004

ac2004 Member

Mar 22, 2006
    If the US did not lose to Germany in 2002, I would have put the US as a rising team. But they did not.

6. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Ok....I had forgotten about Croatia (1998....not good memories)....and how long ago was Poland?

Another thing, seems to me that Polar Bear is right and you've got your wires crossed as to what is a rising team and what is a declining team.

Mexico......maybe it's just the rise of the USA as a good team, but they seem on the decline to me.

Croatia......it seems to me that their glory days were in 1998. I don't know much about the current team, are you suggesting they're rising again? (And what kind of evidence do you have to back this up?)

Poland.....their glory days are in the past too. They may be on the rise again (if you say so), but in our last 4 games against them (all since 2002) we've had 1 loss in the 2002 WC, 2 wins (both in Europe...1 in Poland, 1 in Germany), and 1 tie at home in the US. That puts us at least even with them doesn't it? (I would say it puts us ahead of them.)

7. ac2004

ac2004 Member

Mar 22, 2006
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/soccer/03/23/profile.croatia/index.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/soccer/04/10/profile.mexico/index.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/soccer/01/06/profile.poland/index.html

Read these articles, then maybe you could get some idea...

8. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Not to be insulting, but are you high on something?

Neither article suggests that either team is on the rise. It more or less points to stagnation and decline within both of those teams and that if the newer players brought in to the teams can have a good world cup this summer then they'll have turned it around (and be "on the rise"). I mean....just look at the headline for the Croatia article ("Croatia no longer a Euro darling, but still packs punch").

The article on Poland also doesn't suggest that they're a rising team......it suggests they're a solid side capable of doing well but we'll have to see this summer if they're "on the rise." And I'll repeat....based on our record against them recently, if you consider them a rising team wouldn't you have to consider us one as well? [especially when you factor in our recent record (since 2000) against Mexico and South Korea....2 of your other "rising teams"....which we have demonstrated we are at least as good as]

9. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Yes, but since Mexico didn't, you are retracting them as a rising team now, right?

10. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Croatia looks more like a one hit wonder than a team on the rise. However, at least there are no gaps in their qualifying for the WC. In the Euro Cup, well that's a different story.

Poland's semifinal finishes were in 1978 and 1982. Don't the non-appearances in 1990, 1994 and 1998 more than cancel those out? How can you be rising when you are not even in the WC for 16 years? And what did Poland do in that last appearance. They went out in the first round and with Germany, Costa Rica and Ecuador in their group, I wouldn't be surprised to see them out again.

11. GreenIsle

GreenIsle Red Card

Dec 28, 2005
    Green I/Prt Douglas
    Why are you arguing with someone who has brought you down to their level.I was ROFLMFAO when I just came back in here and found this slanging match going on.None of the three teams he mentioned are "rising" teams.At best they are adequate teams.The US topped CONCACAF,so there goes his Mexico argument.Poland wouldn't beat our womans team and Croatia,whilst were a top side,and still are a reasonable side are by no means what they were in 1998.And they are actually on the down side of an era,not coming into one.

12. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    I don't know if you're including me, but I've been ROFLMFAO as I discover how deep his idiocy goes.:p

(Consider it a public service......we're containing him in this thread so he doesn't go out and continue contaminating other threads.;) )

13. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Member

Feb 14, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Thank you for your patience. It is with great sorrow and embarrassment that I admit that I have waisted almost 6 hours on this dribble.

I now release this thread from its hijacking and bare no responsibility for any further continuation of said dribble.

Please fill free to post "How do you look at the US".

Thanks again for your continued patience and have a good day.

14. ac2004

ac2004 Member

Mar 22, 2006
    The US is still a mediocre team, and if they fail to get out of the Group of Death, they still will be a mediocre team. I have yet to see them prove that they are rising team, if they ever make it to the semifinals. The only teams they have proven to beat for sure are pushover teams, and from how they have been performing they drew with Jamaica, a mediocre team as well.

15. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston
    Agreed, as you see with Greece winning Euro 04, everyone saids all the right pieces fell into place and that they were lucky instead of giving them praise.

16. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston
    Can you stop making such ignorant posts please, you have no intelligence about the United States soccer team, particularly with your comment about Tim Howard being one of the best players when he may be the #3 goalkeeper come June.

17. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    This is an example of what's wrong with all your arguments and what's driving everyone nuts about your posts. Your opinions are not necesarily wrong (of course not, they're opinions), or stupid (some are though), but your justifications certainly are. Of course Mexico is not a pushover, but the reason is not because Mexicans are more passionate about football compared to Americans.

18. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really do not care if ac2004 labels us as a mediocre team , and labels teams that we have beaten recently as better . thats probably the stupidest ranking system Ive ever seen , and I dont really care . I really hope we can win the world cup , beat Italy , the Czechs , Brazil , france , England and Argentina , so we can be labeled a rising team :rolleyes:

19. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but the thing is, many people get so carried away...american fans, italian fans..it happens so much that it's not really interesting anymore.

20. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's not really a fair judgement though, wither group C is better or not, group E is still a group of death. Nigeria and Argentina failed to make it out of their group 4 years ago, but in no way is Argentina a mediocre team for doing so. Nigeria is still technically one of the better teams in the world, skill wise, they just have a disciplinary problem, which is probably why they didn't qualify this time around.

I would say that unless the US completely pulls a WC '98 this time around, they're still a good team. To make it out of a group a death, no matter how you look at it, you NEED some type of luck.

21. ac2004

ac2004 Member

Mar 22, 2006
    From what you guys are saying, are you really labelling Mexico as a mediocre team? You guys have said that Mexico is not a rising team, and not a pushover team as well. Would it make you guys any happier if I label the US as a rising team and Mexico as a mediocre team? I believe Mexico has had somewhat of a decent history of beating Powerhouse teams.

22. feyenoord!!

feyenoord!! Member

Jun 1, 2004
    USA
    sometimes the team with the better players don't win...just ask any team that played Greece during the last Euro.

Key word is still "team". I don't think US has any ego's on the team (minus LD maybe), they will work for each other. A team of "7's" can beat a team of "8's" if the "8's" don't work for each other.

23. Jaga

Jaga New Member

Feb 25, 2006
    in my house
    ovrarated for the most part l

24. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    I guess you're still mad because we beat your team last month....:p

25. Jaga

Jaga New Member

Feb 25, 2006